New Marantz SA-KI Ruby SACD/CD player

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by bruce2, Sep 11, 2018.

1. GoldprintAudio

GoldprintAudio Forum Resident

I have a demo pair coming in early next week. I'll try to snap a few pics and post as soon as I can.

2. F1nut

F1nut Forum Resident

Marantz dropped SACD from the 8000 series. The current model is the ND8006, which is a network/CD player.

3. TarnishedEars

TarnishedEars Forum Resident

It's very disappointing how many manufacturers have been dumping support for SACDs of late.

RogerB and Tullman like this.
  4. Nesto719

Nesto719 Active Member

Everyone wants to go to downloads

5. F1nut

F1nut Forum Resident

I don't and never will.

6. F1nut

F1nut Forum Resident

There's still support at the higher end.

warp2600 likes this.
  7. TarnishedEars

Not I.

ClassicalCD, Carlox, Blair G. and 4 others like this.
  8. GoldprintAudio

I know the lack of SACD support on this player may disappoint some, but I just want to say that I've sold several of the new ND8006 units, and they are really quite good. I think Marantz made a good choice adding the cd player to a streamer (guessing we will see more of this in the future from other brands with cd's coming "back").

Nesto719 likes this.
  9. Nesto719

Nesto719 Active Member

I’m with you , just stating the way the hobby is going .

10. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

Yamaha and Onkyo are two who've already gone down this road with their CDN-301 And the C-N7050 respectively. .

GoldprintAudio likes this.
  11. Audiowannabee

Audiowannabee Forum Resident

Yeah especially since i just jumped into the multi channel / sacd world.

Really really hoping pioneer will give us some future hope.

And i will never go to the "streaming" darkside :unhunh:

12. geodiak

geodiak Forum Resident

The new arcam cds50 support sacd..

PhantomStranger likes this.
  13. jeffmackwood

jeffmackwood Forum Resident

A personal choice for personal reasons.

Personally I am very happy with streaming DSD from my home server to my Sony UBP-X800s. Even though the manual says it might not be possible, I've had no issues (except that I'm now using Ethernet, rather than wireless, to avoid buffering issues - which are related to my home's wireless system, not the Sonys.) Stereo and multichannel work (and sound) great. I've never been able to detect a difference between streamed DSD and the same tracks played from the disc. The Sonys are being used as transports / streaming devices (via HDMI) - leaving the "processing" up to the receiver / pre/pro to which they are connected.

I moved to streaming DSD, from playing discs, a year ago and could not be happier, both with the sound and the convenience.

And having all of the tracks available digitally allows me to quickly assemble playlists - which I did with a dozen tracks a few weeks ago when I had someone over for a listening session. Working through the tracks one at a time with single clicks of a remote control was a heck of a lot more convenient than getting up and swapping discs.

To each their own, but I'm sold on streaming, no matter how evil it's perceived to be. :righton:

Jeff

14. GoldprintAudio

I think it's a great idea to see a few companies rolling out good streamers with the cd player included, at a moderate price point....makes a lot of sense to me. I'm sure the Yammie and Onkyo units are nice as well.

ChrisR2060 likes this.
  15. YpsiGypsy

YpsiGypsy Forum Resident

I got the RUBY for 25% off MSRP from Abt. $2998.00 was their 2nd offer so I grabbed it, also free shipping.
    Abt.com - Marantz PMKIRUBY

formu_la, Johnny Vinyl and Spitfire like this.
  16. Sterling1

Sterling1 Forum Resident

Wish it could deliver multi-channel via HDMI.

17. YpsiGypsy

YpsiGypsy Forum Resident

Does the claim that only 1000 will be made/sold worldwide sound legit to you?
    I am not at all familiar with this market but only a thousand?

18. Yes. The KI-PEARL series before this was limited to 500 units only.

YpsiGypsy likes this.
  19. They also introduced a KI-PEARL LITE series later on, but I don't know what the limit (if any) was.

20. teag

teag Forum Resident

This states the price is $3999. Is this the right link?

21. GoldprintAudio

That's the retail pricing. If your interested in one, shoot me a message and we can chat about pricing there.

22. YpsiGypsy

YpsiGypsy Forum Resident

yes but you have to call in and speak to a salesperson

teag likes this.
  23. Steeve

Steeve Forum Resident

I think you may find the ones with the Ruby / Silver badge will be limited.But they may run on with a simpler logo.
    I have both the PMKI / SAKI pearls and neither had the 500 silver badge on top.They did have the Pearl round logos on the front.
    I brought the PMKI new from a Marantz dealer ( in 2012) and there were more available and the SAKI on the second hand market.
    My understanding with the Pearls example was that they run on worldwide for a couple of years after the initial 500.

YpsiGypsy likes this.
  24. Litejazz53

Litejazz53 Perfect Sound Through Crystal Clear Digital

One key thing here that should be mentioned, your SA-K1 can be repaired in the future, the Sony 5400 is now past it's 7 year parts period, most likely Sony has no more optical assemblies for the 5400 and many other part are most likely not available any longer from Sony, and as I learned, 7 years after the introduction of a product, you are cooked with Sony Corporation, they don't even look at your product, but rather throw away the original box you received when you bought the unit and reship the unit back to you with an I'm sorry letter, with your disc player packed in some insufficient packing, my player came back all beat up and the remote damaged badly. :cry:

25. TarnishedEars

Smart Sony SACD player owners preemptively buy spare laser assemblies IMO. Because when these sell out of these, they are truly gone.

But to assume that replacement lasers will be available indefinitely from Marantz would also be a mistake. So if I were you I'd buy a spare laser now, while you can get them. I already purchased several spares for my Oppos.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2019