SH Spotlight I'm asked stuff: Favorite mastering engineer, best BOSTON CD, best TRAVELING WILBURYS CD, etc..

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Oct 3, 2018.

1. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Note the Polydor CDs were just reissues of the DJMs. With the caveat that some albums had more than one DJM mastering, and the Polydor release is just one of those.

2. Instant Karma

Instant Karma Forum Resident

I've been able to track down the MFSL's and am happy with them. I had Yellow Brick Road and recently purchased the other 3.

3. Natvecal.

Natvecal. JUST A LOW- FI GUY WHO LOVES A GREAT MASTERING

is this the DJM that Steve is talking about? So, the Polydor reissue "likely" will be the same mastering taking your caveat into play here.[​IMG]

superstar19, Dave S and mdm08033 like this.
  4. Jack_Straw

Jack_Straw Forum Resident

Are there any threads that list the "preferred" DJM masters (by matrix or other details), and confirm which Polydors match them?

Natvecal. likes this.
  5. Andreas

Andreas Senior Member

Natvecal. and Jack_Straw like this.
  6. mdm08033

mdm08033 Senior Member

Yes it is. The DJM logo is at the 12 o’clock position in the disc.

Drekow and Natvecal. like this.
  7. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

I'm not aware that Madman had different DJM releases. s/t did, however. The UK DJM CD is identical to the Polydor, while the German DJM CD is different, with a different mix of Sixty Years On. Slightly confusing, since the Polydor and German DJM share the same catalog number (827 689-2) while the UK DJM has a unique catalog number (DJM CD8).

MLutthans and Natvecal. like this.
  8. shokhead

shokhead Head shok and you still don't what it is. HA!

9. Natvecal.

Natvecal. JUST A LOW- FI GUY WHO LOVES A GREAT MASTERING

As I'm looking at these from overseas(UK & EU) the shipping charge I'm finding is more commonly way more than the CD itself making (upon a casual look through) sometimes close to the lower priced MFSL Gold CDs I've observed here in the US.I know our fellow SF members overseas already pay a hefty shipping charge from the US. Seems it's catching up the the "other-way-around" for US members getting CDs from UK/EU?

10. James_S888

James_S888 Forum Resident

Heres one:
    I, like a lot of people here download quite a lot of stuff from HDTracks.
    Question: what generally sounds better, .flac or .wav files?

By which, .flac files come down compressed, between 30 and 60%. So I decmpress with db powreamp before playing on the Oppo 105D.
    The Oppo will not cope with 60% compression, it clicks away as it tries to decode....

But, what format gives you better sound? flac or wav?

11. jkauff

jkauff Senior Member

They're both the same--PCM audio. The difference is that WAV is an uncompressed container, and FLAC is a compressed container. If your playback device has sufficient computing power to decode the FLAC, the resulting sound will be identical. If it doesn't (as you've found), the FLAC won't play at all.

marcb, sunspot42 and jhm like this.
  12. john lennonist

john lennonist There ONCE was a NOTE, PURE and EASY...

I'm sure thankful of that, as I much prefer "Blue" as an album.

I have both the DCC CD and the LP you (years later) did for Warner/Rhino :righton:

Great album, fantastic sound!

(BTW, I also have the DCC LP of "Court and Spark")

George P likes this.
  13. marcb

marcb Senior Member

Ummm, disagree mightily with this. Well, the stereo layers anyway. The 5.1’s are excellent though.

14. James_S888

I've now had a chance to play my copies of Paint it black. The two London monos sound great, remarkably similar for coming from different plants and completely different matrices. The original first press mono Decca sounds "politer", but with most of the range of the London. The later '70s "boxed Decca" logo press, however is stereo. Good stereo too. Though it sounds like a lot of the bottom and top end has been rolled off. Nothing like as gut thumping as the London mono.

Has anyone else compared the mono and stereo Deccas?
    To make it clear, these are all the 7" 45s.

15. supermd

supermd Senior Member

@Steve Hoffman Hey! When are we gonna get another release mastered by you? I miss getting new Audio Fidelity remasters.

16. snkcube

snkcube Forum Resident

Hi Steve. I have a question, regarding the "Light My Fire" remix you did on the Legends: Get It On SACD. How much EQ did you use when you were mixing it?

17. James_S888

Hi Steve,
    way back in 1986 you mastered or worked on two issues:
    Chuck Berry;
    Rock n Roll Rarities
    More Rock n Roll Rarities from the Golden age of Chess Records,

both of which I am happy to say I have.

Both these are highly unusual, they all seem to be previously unreleased tracks, new stereo remixes, demo versions, it's all fascinating, really interesting stuff to nutters fascinated by early rock n roll. In particular Chess studios and Chuck Berry.

Maybe you can say something on this project, the sources you used, how you went about remixing to stereo ?! How did that go?
    What condition the tapes were in? The sound? How you got the best out of the tapes?
    Quite frankly, these two records are fascinating. And really good. I think.

18. James_S888

Another thought, as I remember, all the MCA Chess reissues you worked on were full analogue, right?
    Were these two all analog jobs or was there a digital step or steps along the way?
    I am wondering how on earth you managed to accomplish the stereo remixes in analog?
    Especially at the time, with digital starting to really take over.

19. dasacco

dasacco Senior Member

Well I finally tracked down the 45 RPM AP vinyl Vince Guaraldi, Jazz Impressions of Black Orpheus.

And. It's. Spectacular.

20. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

Just came to this thread to ask the same exact question. I was wondering if I'd missed an announcement.

ggjjr, supermd, Aoide and 1 other person like this.
  21. That would indeed be awesome! Especially Paranoid. Maybe the s/t debut too, but that would probably more complicated. Master of Reality, Vol4 and Sabbath Bloody Sabbath sound awesome on the Japan SHM-SACDs - allegedly flat transfers from the original UK master tapes, and that's what they sound like. So I am happy with those too (even though the SACDs have been long out of print, and no redbook release of that version exists). Anyway, there isn't any satisfying digital version of Paranoid. (The Intercord 1986 CD is great but has drop-outs on Iron Man, same goes for the 1986 Castle.) And while the SHM-SACD of the s/t debut album (allegedly flat transfer too) sounds mostly awesome, there's some tape damage during Evil Woman (present on all digital releases since ca 1990), and Wicked World is missing from the SACD. Is there any chance that you will actually master a Sabbath album?

22. Ooops, I first read "remaster" when you actually said "remix". I love the mix of those albums, can you specify what you dislike about it/what you would change?

23. James_S888

Real quick question, do you know if:
    -- the original Fantasy 45 rpm 7" of Creedence Clearwater Revival - is that a dedicated mono mix or a fold?
    I just played it... Sounded good, but can't tell if dedicated or fold.

24. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

What is the song?

25. Claus

Claus Senior Member

I will answer the question for you.... 0,00000% chance today, a boutique label will get the license to master AC/DC, Black Sabbath, Iron Maiden, Van Halen or ZZ Top. The majors will do their own thing today.

blacksabbathrainbow likes this.