Music Matters Definitive Blue Note 45 RPM and 33 & 1/3 RPM vinyl series (pt7)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MilesSmiles, Jun 13, 2014.

1. Cervelo

Cervelo Forum Resident

I also noticed Jackie McLean Destination Out at $49.99

2. Morbius

Morbius Forum Resident

Just a quick post to illustrate that no matter how much I love them there is life beyond Music Matters. I've come to realize that over the last few years I've collected 80 titles and that my infatuation with collecting them has come to an end. For now my focus will be filling in with other artists and titles from other vendors and my local record shops.
    [​IMG]

ashlee5, Mazzy, googlymoogly and 2 others like this.
  3. blutiga

blutiga Forum Resident

Awaiting delivery of the Solid srx and Workout on 33 :goodie:
    Didn't think I'd be able to purchase Solid because it was originally only available as part of the package buy. It's now listed for individual purchase!!!

drkNRG likes this.
  4. Gabe Walters

Gabe Walters Forum Resident

It was listed individually until it was nearly sold out. They held back a few to have on hand for people who ordered the full set. They went back to print and now have more in to offer individually again.

drkNRG and blutiga like this.
  5. drkNRG

drkNRG Forum Resident

Exactly. Mosaic owns that collection. Music Matters is an exclusive licensee.

DeRosa likes this.
  6. blutiga

blutiga Forum Resident

I'm very grateful they've gone to another run then. I thought I might have missed the boat when I checked in to the MM site a few weeks ago. I have the 45 but don't have a 45 option for my table yet. It's good to have these threads on the forum to prompt the memory to check in and gather must have titles while they're still around!!!

Gabe Walters likes this.
  7. jphabc54

jphabc54 Forum Resident

The inclusion of some nice (obviously not Mosaic nice) 12x12 Wolff prints was the kicker for me to pull the trigger on Blue Note Review -- vol 2 has great pics of Blakey and E. Jones that are definitely frameable. Cuscuna's book linked above is awesome as well -- highly recommended.

(now for the obligatory BNR scarf jokes..)

DeRosa likes this.
  8. timzigs

timzigs Forum Resident

New shipment of 45's arrived just in time for the long weekend. Happy to report that my MMJ Joe Henderson collection is now complete :cool:

Our Thing
    Inner Urge
    Leapin' & Lopin'
    Patterns in Jazz
    Easy Living

Unfortunately, the Melle record has a defect on side 4, so gotta return.

9. btf1980

btf1980 Senior Member

10. birchstick

birchstick Forum Resident

I’m spinning Page One right now. It’s one of my favorites in the entire Blue Note catalogue, and MM did a great job on it! Congrats on completing the Henderson MM discography - so much good music in those releases!

11. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

Page One is really somethin’.

12. johnt23

johnt23 Forum Resident

On Duke Pearson "Wahoo" is anyone else getting dropouts and murky, distant sound on the track "Amanda"?

13. Briskit

Briskit “I don’t know karate, but I know ka-razy!”

Big box of records collected from allover the "lower 48" just arrived. Not many MM titles show up on discogs that I can afford, but I managed to snag these 5:

[​IMG]

Just played Indestructible followed by Cape Verdean.
    Very Happy. :D

Here's the rest of my haul:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Expect to be hearing from me over at "Jazz and Conversation"...

14. Carter DeVries

Carter DeVries Forum Resident

Serious haul there! That’s excellent! Enjoy!!

Briskit likes this.
  15. Bobby Buckshot

Bobby Buckshot Heavy on the grease please

That Griff & Lock record is a scorcher. Great records you got there!

Last edited: Apr 22, 2019
    Briskit likes this.
  16. Briskit

Briskit “I don’t know karate, but I know ka-razy!”

Yeah, it’s 3 months worth of purchases. The only way to make shipping records to Australia economical is to send them 30+ at a time. It’s an excellent exercise in patience.

17. G E

G E Senior Member

My latest MMJ order arrived intact today:

Lee Morgan Candy 33 rpm
    Blakey Free for all SRX
    Kenny Clarke Golden 8 on gold vinyl!!
    Jazz Messengers Vol 1 back to $49, I have Vol 2 from a used purchase on this forum.
    Kenny Drew Undercurrent

Later this week I expect Ready for Freddy 33 rpm I picked up used on this forum

AND.....

A sealed copy of Junior Wells Hoodoo Man Blues! It's the reissue from the mid 1970's but unplayed old vinyl is one of life's nice joys. This was a staple record for our merry band on Saturday nights back when we were full of piss and vinegar (remember those days? ). Played before heading out to the clubs. Sometimes upon on return... or both. I have it on SACD but as good as it sounds it feels like all the life has been sucked out of it. That's the problem with so much of the digital stuff. Even hi-rez.

I must have around 25 MMJ now. All purchased since November. Funded by selling much of my digital library. Hi rez stuff that rarely gets played. Let someone else enjoy it and free up capital for MMJ records and vintage Mullard and Amperex tubes for my phone preamp. Getting down to some harder choices now.

18. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

Great minds! Just placed an ED order for destination out and the morgan 1557 :) Destination out has been on my radar for a long time, and the vol 3 is really a unique early morgan record.

Anselmo, timzigs and Aura like this.
  19. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

Herbie Hancock’s Speak like a Child is insane. It has this Ravel/Debussy/Gil Evans quality to it that is just so open and free. The arranging and harmonies are unreal, while still retaining such a beautifully melodic quality. Ron Carter truly shows off his genius all over this record as well. Its a very deep sophisticated album with tons of layers to peel back, but somehow still retains a very accessible quality to it. Herbie is a genius! The track Goodbye to Childhood is a standout for me, really expresses this innocent, melancholic element and captures very intensely that feeling of the ending of childhood, ugh it pulls at the heartstrings.

20. bkbk

bkbk Forum Resident

Agree, this is a hidden gem. It’s accessible with beautiful melodies and the harmonic “soundscape,” for lack of a better, word does seem somewhat influenced by Debussy in that it evokes an atmosphere of textures and colors. And ... flugelhorn. Need I say more?

mikeyt and recstar24 like this.
  21. Stu02

Stu02 Forum Resident

What is the Music Matters approach to the inside of the gatefold when the lp was originally a gatefold. I assume they Dont replace the orig artwork with the usual Wolff photos but rather they keep the orig artwork?

22. Gabe Walters

No, they ditched the original art and used Wolff photos.

23. Stu02

Stu02 Forum Resident

Bad call IMHO.

DeRosa likes this.
  24. Gabe Walters

Agreed. The original gatefold is so sweet.

recstar24 likes this.
  25. Stu02

Stu02 Forum Resident

Absolutely in fact the photos are integral to the whole story.
    The tone poet series seems to be doing it differently ( maybe )as they kept the orig inner art for the Corea release. But thats SS not orig BN.

mikeyt likes this.