Black Summer (Netflix)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by masswriter, Apr 11, 2019.

1. masswriter

masswriter Minister At Large Thread Starter

Has anybody watched the full season? I started with first episode and feel like it can go either way, but hesitant to continue for fear of wasting my time . . .

2. MikeInFla

MikeInFla Glad to be out of Florida

haven't started it yet but have in in my list. Will try to watch at least 2 sometime today.

MAYBEIMAMAZED likes this.
  3. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

Going to check it out this weekend...I dont see it breaking any new ground but pretty much any zombie show is a guilty pleasure for me.

vconsumer likes this.
  4. jwoverho

jwoverho Licensed Drug Dealer

Just started the first episode earlier today. Interesting shifts of perspective from character to character, especially one extended sequence following one zombie through a neighborhood.
    These zombies run, too.

5. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

Puppies & kittens!

6. MikeInFla

On episode 2 and will continue to watch. Somewhat interesting but none of the characters are drawing me in. For some reason I keep expecting Daryl to show up with a crossbow :)

chrischerm likes this.
  7. MikeInFla

Yeah, I kind of like that. Plus, when they shoot them it just seems to pi$$ them off and make them run faster and try harder. They don't really look like zombies (at least not yet) maybe once they run into some "old ones" they will look more like a traditional zombie.

8. masswriter

masswriter Minister At Large Thread Starter

I ended up binging 5 episodes in a row. Pretty good!

noname74 likes this.
  9. noname74

Just finished it...not bad. Although it's like we've missed something between episode 5 and 6...how do they know about that place, and to use the vents etc? It's like we missed an episode explaining all of that.

In terms of the last scene...

I'm hoping the end is a little bit of a red herring as it's absolutely ridiculous to think her daughter would not only still be alive but one of the few people in the empty stadium. I wonder if she's seeing things again and it's a zombie running towards her. Guess we'll find out if there is a season 2.

SomeCallMeTim likes this.
  10. Gray Beard

Gray Beard Forum Resident

Totally, agree. I had to go back and check that I didn’t accidentally skip an episode. Then I kept thinking they’re going to flashback to how that all came together. Also question why those two soldiers didn’t become zombies as well, little too much of an easy way out there.

On the whole though I dug it, nothing spectacular but entertaining.

MikeInFla and noname74 like this.
  11. MikeInFla

Watched them all and thought it was ok. I noticed there is not really a lot of dialogue in some of the episodes, just people moving around. And at one point they mention they are about 4 weeks in but the zombies don't appear to decay (unless they are all "new" ones). Really the only name I remember is Spears and that wasn't even his real name. And the ending was a little odd but i am ok with it if that is what truly happened.

12. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

OMG!

just total rubbish!

Scott222C likes this.
  13. MikeInFla

So I just read that this takes place in the same universe as Z Nation. Have never seen Z Nation and I am not interested enough to check it out. However, I will check out season 2 of Black Summer if they make one. It wasn't great but it did pass the time.

14. Daryl M

Daryl M Senior Member

I thought this show was mildly entertaining until the last hour or so. Then it became
    utterly nonsensical. Just awful. It was cool to see Calgary, Alberta's CFL stadium in
    the final shots, though.

Scott222C likes this.
  15. noname74

It's the same writers but it isn't really part of the Z Nation universe...they are two completely different shows. Z Nation is far more of a comedy than Black Summer.

16. jeroemba

jeroemba Forum Resident

There were interesting ideas in this first season. It was far from being perfect but it tried new things. The last episode for instance, with the
    survivors shooting at each other while they were trying to shoot the zombies was one of these good ideas. I don't remember seeing such a scene in another zombie fiction.

MikeInFla likes this.
  17. noname74

Good point. Other shows rarely show humans getting into the crossfire when automatic weapons are being used. Trained soldiers in war occasionally have friendly fire incidents so it makes sense that Bubba Joe spraying AK rounds everywhere would hit someone accidentally.

18. Scott222C

Scott222C Loner, Rebel & Family Man

Sounds interesting, I will check it out ...… have a little room for Zombies after giving up on Walking Dead for the last two sasons ….. but a really cool and scary take on zombies is the Korean series KINGDOM (2019) from NETFLIX ….. that one was really an interesting watch even with subtitles ….. and so beautifully shot !

‘Kingdom’ brings the horror of zombies to ancient Korea

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 23, 2019
    Rufus McDufus, jwoverho and jeroemba like this.
  19. jeroemba

jeroemba Forum Resident

Yep, "Kingdom" is awsome!

Scott222C likes this.
  20. Scott222C

I watched "Black Summer" and it was terrible - started out Ok but got worse after Ep 3 only to make me finally fast forward the last episode out of disgust .... don't bother ........

21. jwoverho

jwoverho Licensed Drug Dealer

In the middle of THE KINGDOM now. No comparison: production values, writing, acting, all first-rate.

The dystopian settings of the vast majority of zombie films has been done to death as well. Setting in ancient times is a welcome change.

Scott222C likes this.
  22. Scott222C

Yes, they hit this one out of the park - can't wait for S02, that hasn't happened in a loong time for me ..... maybe we should start a thread on this show ?

23. windfall

windfall Senior Member

I am enjoying Black Summer. I have 2 eps left to watch. The shifting perspectives took some getting used to. But the episode in the diner, I thought, was particularly tense. Seeing fast and hard to kill zombies makes a nice change - reminds me of that 2004 remake of Dawn of the Dead. Hoping it doesn't fizzle in the final episodes. Anyone heard whether a second season is likely?

24. jeroemba

jeroemba Forum Resident

Since it's a Korean production, hitting out of the Park is quite a feat! :D

25. noname74

Netflix hasn't said either way yet.

windfall likes this.