AR-2ax speakers

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by mncarguy, Apr 15, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mncarguy

mncarguy Member Thread Starter

I have a really nice looking pair of AR-2ax speakers. However, since getting a new pair of Infinity Quantum Jr's I noticed lately the AR's sound really flat. I mean, no highs really whatsoever.
    Is there a good place in the Los Angeles area to take these for a look over? I'm near Pasadena if that's any help.

2. mncarguy

Actually, I also have an Akai and a Marantz tape deck that need tuned up also. Any advice on where to take them would be much appreciated.

3. Mike from NYC

Mike from NYC Senior Member

I had AR2ax's back in the day and didn't find them too 'flat' sounding when properly placed, however, compared to many more modern speakers they can sound flat.

4. joelongwood

joelongwood Forum Resident

A common problem with vintage AR speakers is that the tweeter and midrange pots on the back can become dirty and corroded and no longer work. With music playing at low volume, rotate them back and forth. Put your ear to the mid and tweeter as you do this, and hopefully you'll hear something. But, as Mike from NYC said, it could also be that "compared to many more modern speakers they can sound flat." Hope this helps.

Ghostworld and der like this.
  5. der

der Forum Resident

+1 on the level controls. They can be cleaned but personal experience has taught me that replacing with new L pads is the way to go. AR expert help at Acoustic Research

mncarguy likes this.
  6. der

der Forum Resident

I have found over the 50 years that I've owned them that my AR3a speakers sound best to me with the mid-range level controls flat in the middle and the tweeters all the way up and a bit of treble boost from the amplifier treble control.

7. Salectric

Salectric Senior Member

Is there any particular reason you have the 2AX speakers? I am just curious. I bought a single 2AX back in 1967 directly from the factory in unfinished pine. It was my first speaker and as a high schooler I could only afford one. I figured I would save my money until I could buy a second. But by then the Dyna A25 had come out and I bought a pair of them instead. For my money the Dynas sounded much better than the ARs, but I do understand that tastes can differ.

So what’s your story on the 2AX?

bhazen likes this.
  8. mncarguy

I found them for sale and they looked absolutely mint. I loved how they looked and brought them home.
    They sounded great to me until I compared them with another vintage set of Infinity's.

timind likes this.
  9. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

First of all, have the AR's been recapped? 50-60 year old capacitors are almost certainly no longer in spec.

10. Abbagold

Abbagold Working class hero

I’ve owned a pair and they were ok. They’re not audiophile by any means, but not a bad speaker. IMO, Dynacos have an edge over the AR2ax.

bhazen likes this.
  11. mncarguy

I just took a look and I don't think they have. The capacitors have no writing on them and they look old and pale yellow. The woofers have been refoamed though. I can see that.

12. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

Well, there ya go.

13. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

this ^

14. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

The AR2ax are super mellow, gentle highs with big bottom end. They’re like a cream puff. I like mine. They don’t miss anything. They just do it gently.

joelongwood likes this.
  15. gary7

gary7 Forum Resident

just picked up a pair of AR2ax speakers. Need woofers foamed. Still nice sound. All pots work.

16. johnnytheg

johnnytheg Forum Resident

I have a pair of AR 2a's that my dad bought new in the early 60's and I had upgraded to 2ax back in 04. They sound amazing all these years later. I have always been interested in the Dyna A25s though. I heard some great things.

bhazen likes this.
  17. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

I used to have five pairs of vintage speakers, all refurbished and recapped. KLH Model 5, New Large Advent, AR-2ax, AR-6, and AR-4ax Power provided by a McIntosh MC2105. My favorites were the Model 5 and Advents. The AR-4ax speakers are one of the best small speakers there are IMO. I still own the KLH Model 5 speakers.

18. bhazen

bhazen GOO GOO GOO JOOB

To my ears, the greatest affordable speaker of that entire era.

johnnytheg and ssmith3046 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.