Warning to all record collectors!!! (outer bag/inner sleeve concerns)*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by rockadelic, Oct 17, 2014.

1. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

It can takes years, in fact it usually is for me a 10 year period before I get the first sight of it.

Street Survivors took a good 30 years because I used a heavy outer sleeve - the paper inner and cardboard cover protected the album for a while. Not like a picture disc which is against the pvc directly.

Another 1978 LP has a poster as it’s cover, and was dropped into this same type of PVC and it was fine for decades until 5 years ago started a tiny bit of fog to appear. I got it out, and saved but forgot to consider Street Survivors. SS I wanted to protect because I thought in 1977 or ‘78 that it was going to be rare (flame cover). God the original issues of this LP are beautiful, more beautiful that they are rare covers. Or did the flame cover finally appreciate in value?

For me it’s 8 to ten years minimum to see it happen. But I guess hot rooms could accelerate it.

The respondent should not have to wait years for the study to begin is all I’m saying.

2. Robert C

Robert C Forum Resident

Indeed, it seems to take a long time to happen! However, as part of the research I'm sure our conservation team will attempt to create the conditions under which the (un)desired off-gassing occurs :)

Neonbeam and All Down The Line like this.
  3. hockman

hockman Forum Resident

An additional warning about silk screened record covers that seem to affect the vinyl record in the same way.

I have a sealed new album that has a beautiful silk screened cover. The two records inside already have waves of fogging. I suspect it's caused by the cover because it had a strong chemical smell. Thankfully the records look bad but sound fine. I've put the records into a separate sealeable bag to isolate them from the cover.

4. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

I'd wash them first with diluted dish soap and clean dry with terry cloth towel before I sealed them up in other "sealable" bags. Get the chemicals off them completely and the fog might soon disappear.

But that's just me, I know, nobody else would bother.

5. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Try and get a hold of some library protection covers from late 70s early 80s. They have a pocket for check out record card on them. They are the most deadly I've seen in 45 - 40 years.

All Down The Line likes this.
  6. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

Fog, dissappear........?????
    Sounds unknown to man so far.

Tim 2 likes this.
  7. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

I had a UK 7” fog up on me. Got it out of the thick plastic sleeve and the fog faded away.

Really glad about this one too, because it was a white label test pressing, a 45 (small hole) by The Replacements that never got issued (b-side got changed), and later I had Paul Westerberg write out by hand the artist and song credits on the plain white labels.

It’s a beautiful piece, and I thought I was giving it special care with a special thick plastic cover.

Anyway fog went away after cleaning and a year’s time.

TheMovieRad likes this.
  8. All Down The Line

You should be rich.

9. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

I should be a lot of things that didn't quite pan out. But it's fine.

10. All Down The Line

Clouds got in the way?

11. Tim 2

Tim 2 MORE MUSIC PLEASE

I haven't hear of it.

12. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

Been finding a lot of 70's Blue Note albums with bag rash from the poly lined inner sleeves.
    Anyone know why? They are not PVC?

13. pwhytey

pwhytey Forum Resident

[​IMG]

Are records still being released in PVC covers, despite the (high) possibility of future damage? I bought this picture disc on RSD and quickly removed it from its cover. Is it PVC, or am I being paranoid?

14. aoxomoxoa

Better safe than sorry.

groovelocked and pwhytey like this.
  15. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

Frequently, even by labels that should know better than housing their records in pvc sleeves, Music On Vinyl's soundtrack sublabel for instance. Many RSD items, mostly picture discs like your Bronski Beat 12". The brand new reissue of U2s "No Line On The Horizon" even uses the pvc sleeve as part of the artwork. Which is the worst ever - see The XX or Hookworms.

I could go on! :evil:

pwhytey and groovelocked like this.
  16. groovelocked

groovelocked Forum Resident

This is a pretty sweet package making it look like a picture disc without actually being one, which added considerably to the cost. Too bad the printed PVC had to go into the closet so the 12” ended up in a regular jacket.
    I wish someone would start one of those online petitions to lobby labels/manufacturers/artists to stop using them.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. AaronW

AaronW Senior Member

What's stopping ya?

18. groovelocked

Good point

19. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

I hate releases like that. The last Hookworms was like that too. Beautiful package but.... dangerous. Somehow I can't bring myself to tear packages like that apart and have relegated the four or five I have to the lowest shelf surrounded by boxsets.

20. groovelocked

But they don’t only haze the records IN them. They can also haze the records AROUND them, even thru their jackets. So you could potentially be risking the records in the box sets they are next to.

AaronW and All Down The Line like this.
  21. stenway

stenway Forum Resident

anyones has tried PAPER outer/inner Sleeves?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

why paper? TO AVOID ANY PLASTIC (pvc, poly, mylar bla bla) (I'm tired of the problems of any plastic to storage records, same for outer and inner sleeves) one big problem is the abrasion, plastics don't breath like paper.

I found just two companies that release and both looks the same:

OUTERS:
    https://www.bagsunlimited.com/product/5858/12-archival-envelope-10-pt-folder-stock
    Gaylord Archival® 10 pt. Folder Stock 13" LP Record Envelopes (25-Pack) | Envelopes, Sleeves & Protectors | Media Preservation | Preservation | Gaylord Archival

those are made of REAL archival acid free paper (not false advertisement like many other companies)

the problem? are expensive, around $2 per sleeve (bagsunlimited), in the case of gaylord even more expensive due his expensive shipping and taxes.

Also both companies sell INNER sleeves of the same material, again NO plastics, but I don't know how if those papers can makes little scratches on the records if someone pull out/in fast with no care AND I don't know if also those papers add STATIC.

INNERS:
    Gaylord Archival® 10 pt. Folder Stock Record Sleeves (25-Pack) | Envelopes, Sleeves & Protectors | Document Preservation | Preservation | Gaylord Archival
    https://www.bagsunlimited.com/product/5857/12-archival-sleeve-10-pt-folder-stock

I think record collectors overlook paper sleeves only because they like see the covers through a window and forget the important thing, the condition/preservation of the records. I don't care if I can't see the pretty cover through plastic sleeve, we are talking about real archival protection. All the industry of records focus on sell plastic sleeves, x or y sizes, etc etc. but all plastics (poly, pvc, mylar etc etc.), why not just preservation paper? Remember, records sleeves are MADE of paper, so! this kind of paper archival sleeves are made to storage museum documents made of paper! Records are not different than historical documents, so to me make sense use only this paper sleeves.

Anyone here has purchased those paper sleeves?

All Down The Line and AaronW like this.
  22. AaronW

AaronW Senior Member

Interesting, thanks for posting! I might have to try those inners but would pass on the outers because I enjoy album art ; )

23. stenway

stenway Forum Resident

that's the point: "I pass on the outers because I enjoy album art"

the vinyl industry are involved in plastic sleeves around, only because people want see the artwork through a plastic.

I enjoy more have peace of mind of keep my records in perfect condition and not degrade it over time for all plastic problems. I store records in cardboard "acid free" boxes: https://www.bagsunlimited.com/produ...rd-br-holds-50-65-lp-recordsbr13-x-13-x-10-34

boxes stored in a dark room (not shelves, exposed to the dust, ambient, lights), so even if I store it in plastic sleeves, I'll can't see the album art due the box. But that's is not a problem! when I want enjoy the cover or listen a record I just pull out the record from the box and from the paper sleeve and that is. My point is that paper sleeves are not a problem to enjoy the album art.

Let me know if you try those inners, please comment your experience with them if you buy some. Thanks.

24. aoxomoxoa

25. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Hot room i hate you so..

I was a naysayer but now I’ve seen the light.

Unless you live in a abject cold climate, the climate change had affected a LP or two of mine ..usually laminated albums in PVC clear sleeve. Nothing spoiled but sticky I just take them of now.