Current McIntosh Solid State Power Amps?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by ishmael, Apr 23, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ishmael

ishmael Forum Resident Thread Starter

Hey folks.

I am a long time McIntosh fan. Their solid state power amps are built like tanks and can drive any speaker imaginable. Not to mention they look amazing. YES, I love the blue meters!

I just saw this review of their MC462 amp in Stereophile:

McIntosh Laboratory MC462 power amplifier

I am also very interested in the MC312, which costs $7000 and pumps out 300 watts per channel..

Any body else enjoy the McIntosh power amp line?

[​IMG]

2. ishmael

3. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

Not new, but I cherish it.

[​IMG]

4. ishmael

WOW. Who needs new!!!!!???:D

Mlle. Aurora likes this.
  5. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

I wouldn't mind having some, but spending $7k for an amp, even if I could afford it, is just something that I couldn't do. Not that I'm sure the new Mc stuff isn't great, and more power to folks who can buy it. But when this one became available local last year at a price that I could swing, I couldn't pass it up. I've owned a couple of Mc receivers in the past, and a MX110 that unfortunately I had to sell, but this one ain't going nowhere.

And it teams up with this little ditty quite well

[​IMG]

6. ishmael

Ok, now you are just being plain mean...LOL...actually great finds...

I hear you on the prices, but figure if you have speakers costing 5-15 grand, it is a commensurate purchase. Plus
    there is no reason why it would not be in your system for a lifetime.

I think their current integrated amps are nice too, and probably better values as they have tuners, phono, and optional DACs.

7. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

Oh yeah, don't get me wrong. I have no issues with folks who spend what for me would be a lot of money on gear. Like I said, more power to them. I live in a place where $7k for an amp or $15k for speakers is chump change.

This is obviously true.

ishmael likes this.
  8. ethansdad

ethansdad Forum Resident

My MC152 and Harbeth 30.1s make beautiful music together. And I also love the blue lights and dancing needles...

alanb likes this.
  9. ishmael

Funny you mention..I have always loved the McIntosh and Harbeth pairing....

10. galactica1971

galactica1971 Forum Resident

I just bought a MC462, paired it with a C2600 Tube Pre and I'm absolutely loving in.

The bank balance doesn't, but I gave up on listening to the bank balance years ago......

Chris C, Doug_B, sberger and 2 others like this.
  11. PhxJohn

PhxJohn Forum Resident

I read the review. I guess my Marantz and NAD electronics are just for beginners or 'mid-end'. I have always felt that there is nothing better than McIntosh.
    I need to build a time machine: 1967 Allied Radio Catalog - Electronics For Everyone #260B Low-res page 128 of 526

Dave likes this.
  12. Muriel Heslop

Muriel Heslop Night is young and the music's high

I hear ya loud and clear!

I am also in the midst of making a decision.In the process of upgrading from my MA6600 integrated and trying to decide now between the MC462 or to go with mono blocks MC611.Pretty sure I'll be thrilled with the sound regardless which way I end up going and sure you will be too.Best of luck to you in your decision!

13. galactica1971

Make sure you get a good price for your 6600 if you're considering buying either. Not sure I'd want to pay out big money to "upgrade" from the superb 6600 to either the 462 or a pair of 611's. You're already enjoying that lovely Mac sound.

Don't get me wrong I absolutely LOVE my 462, but I'm not sure I'd buy one if I already had a 6600. Depends on your needs/wants I suppose.

The 462 is plenty powerful, but my needles rarely get over 200w.

14. Barnabas Collins

Barnabas Collins Senior Member

If I was looking to buy a new MC amp, I'd try to look for a deal on an MC452. The specs are pretty similar and the unit is $500 cheaper.

15. galactica1971

You'd need to save more than $500 to make me choose a 452 over a 462, at least in my opinion.

Thouston likes this.
  16. TheRealMcCoy

TheRealMcCoy Senior Member

Found a deal on a used MC300 years back which drives my ATC SCM 19v2's very nicely:)

17. ishmael

PhxJohn likes this.
  18. ishmael

that, to my mind, would be a great pairing.

19. ishmael

I am almost decided on the MC312. I heard it at a dealer and was very, very impressed.

20. ishmael

Ha, I hear you...would you say the review above was accurate in it's sonic descriptions?

21. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

I know what you mean, along with my trusty C29 preamp.

22. Muriel Heslop

Muriel Heslop Night is young and the music's high

Don't get me wrong either :)..I am totally in LOVE with the sound of this piece of equipment(6600) and it's the reason(both a blessing yet a financial curse!) I am now diving down the Mcintosh rabbit hole.If I had a smaller room,I'd be super content but my living/listening space is quite large , so have found that I am maxing the 6600 out too often.But the sound?DIVINE!!!

Waymore and Slick Willie like this.
  23. Humbuster

Humbuster Staff Emeritus

Love my MA6600.

Often thought of upgrades, however it still puts a smile on my face.

I’ll probably just look at new DAC or Harbeth.

24. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

Wow that must be some room if you can max out a 200 watt amp.

PhxJohn likes this.
  25. ls35a

ls35a Forum Resident

I bought a new one and when it arrived one of the meters was broken. I sent it back and got something that didn't weigh a ton.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.