New 'Star Trek: Discovery' TV Series a Go at CBS All Access*

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by dirwuf, Nov 2, 2015.

1. Linger63

Linger63 Forum Resident

Ok ..........my apologies.

As a video layman I have no issue with the VFX of either.......... but understand how YOU could.....:laugh:

2. Dr. Pepper

Dr. Pepper What, me worry?

3. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Senior Member

4. robertawillisjr

robertawillisjr Music Lover

I just started watching this season's episodes (1 and 2) and while not greatly impressed, I have enjoyed what I've watched. I am not a fan of the over active red head Ensign but...

5. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

She's going to be a captain someday you know

:unhunh:

6. daglesj

daglesj Forum Resident

Enjoyed it all very much. Looking forward to S3.

7. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

8. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Senior Member

I feel like it was a bit overkill. Hopefully not a reaction to all the whining on social media and "fan" sites.

9. HGN2001

HGN2001 Mystery picture member

Colors. STAR TREK, the original series, was always visually about colors. Bright colors. Sell-those-RCA TVs bright colors. And since then, virtually every iteration of STAR TREK has been all about muting colors. The dull tan pajamas of the first movie. The boring dark-red-jacket uniforms of the rest of the original series movies. The muted color uniforms of the Next Generation, often paring up or down to gray. And the dark purple (or is it dark blue?) jumpsuits of ENTERPRISE with color (muted) piping. In the Abrams-verse, the uniform colors were sort-of OK, but not too bright - still muted compared to TOS. And even if they were close, you never got to look at one for more than a millisecond with the frenetic cutting and the lens-flares.

Then we get DISCOVERY. Starting out, season 1, everyone's got a dark blue uniform, and once again the ship is fairly monotoned in color. We even see some black com badges! But starting in Season 2, we get to see some Enterprise officers with their colorful uniforms beaming aboard Discovery. The gold piping was a nice nod to the Discovery uniforms' piping, and the wrap-around asymmetrical neck seemed a nice nod to the movie-series jackets. But the colors were finally right. No, they weren't the dreaded velour of TOS, but that's not important.

But we have to also look at the first adventure of Capt Pike, the one on Talos IV from "The Cage." There, the uniforms were once again a bit muted in color. Only the green/yellow color along with blue were seen. No red-shirts. And even the Enterprise's bridge railing was painted grey in that episode. So it was a nice nod to continuity that in Discovery Season 2, when we finally get to see some Enterprise crew, they're wearing the bright colors we were familiar with - the one's that sold our parents on a color TV. And after Enterprise's refit, during Pike's hiatus, we see that Enterprise herself got some new paint schemes, including the red railing. I like that. It makes me happy.

Just picture that image above as it would have looked on the old analog TV in your parent's living room:

[​IMG]

10. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Senior Member

In fairness, the HD remaster of TNG did restore more color to the uniforms. Still not 1960s Living Color (especially when contrasted by the beige-and-wood Hilton in space NCC-1701-D), but better than the videotape masters presented on TV and DVD for so long.

HGN2001 likes this.
  11. David Campbell

David Campbell Forum Resident

I have no doubt that played a small part in the direction change implied for Season 3.However, I was disappointed when the show was announced that it would be set in the 23rd century rather than further in the future.

So I like the idea of a setting change and hopes it finally quiets down some of the Whiners as you say. Although I think a 900+ year jump may be a bit overkill. I would have been ok with a jump to the 25th century. Then again, it will be interesting to see what they do with it.

BeatleJWOL likes this.
  12. budwhite

How are they are going to deal with technolgy? 950 years into the future with 950 year old stuff will be very weird. How will things even work...?

13. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

That's my biggest concern. That far in the future, you would expect the Federation or its antecedents would have explored most of the Milky Way galaxy, and perhaps beyond. Given how fast technology advances, it could be like an ancient human expecting carts, horses, and spears entering modern society today. Maybe they find the galaxy empty and abandoned? Overrun by a hostile force? Maybe they get bounced off to a far corner of the universe?

budwhite likes this.
  14. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Having spent the early years of my post-collegiate career dreaming of the future, and then snapping back into nearly Amish societal norms when the wife and I later moved to Iowa, I can see how "the future" isn't always "the future", just because you made it to The Future.

15. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Primary pigments jumping out at you in your living room in 1967, doesn't have quite the effect in 1979, once you've had 11 years of primary pigments jumping out at you in your living room. For that matter, seeing Klingons wearing turtle shells on their heads isn't really all that jarring in a movie where you're watching T.J. Hooker sporting a plastic head of hair, muted-color jumpsuit or not.

David Campbell likes this.
  16. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Yeah, the first thing I said was, "wow, they continued the red railing and tried to "echo" the original show a little bit. It was a nice touch. I think everybody liked the new Enterprise bridge set -- which is why I continue to insist that a Capt. Pike / Spock / Number One show is not out of the question, basically a "Star Trek 10 years earlier" show.

I remember we were criticized by some fans in the 1980s when we remastered the old 1960s shows from 35mm IP, because the detail and color was much more vivid than anything anybody had seen in 20 years. But the old 1960s 35mm network prints actually were much more vivid than the 16mm prints everybody saw in syndication in the 1970s and early 1980s. The post crew at Modern Videofilm actually worked very hard to make those shows look as good as possible, with reasonable levels for normal television. They were shot, lit, and processed pretty well, so it wasn't that hard to do.

I think the new HD remastering looked even better, but I'm not a fan of the 5.1 surround mixes -- I think they totally buried the dialogue balance. Bad decisions get made sometimes.

BeatleJWOL likes this.
  17. budwhite

If a Pike series would happen, it's at least two-three years away.
    No script, no production, no actors no nothing

BeatleJWOL likes this.
  18. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Senior Member

But they've got a from-the-ground-up set and a couple of interested actors; that's all you need for a series, right? :D

This is what happens when fans who have been living off of low-budget fan films since 2005 think they know what to expect.

budwhite and David Campbell like this.
  19. I quite enjoyed season 2 but am glad the time travel / red angel story arc is over with (I tend to prefer stand-alone episodes, but in this day and age that seems a bit old fashioned). The only thing that annoys me is Lt. Stamet's perpetually sad eyes/eye brows. Learn another expression! I was kinda hoping he bought the farm but it looks like he'll make it. But that's a very minor criticism in a well-done show. Anson Mount as Pike really stole the show this season, I wonder if that was anticipated by the producers.

budwhite and David Campbell like this.
  20. budwhite

It wasn't at all. There were negative reports about Anson in the early stages of filming the season.

21. Dr. Pepper

Like what? Never heard any.

22. Dr. Pepper

Time for our annual Star Trek grading. Here is my system I'm defining my 1-10 scale using some known seasons and shows.

10. TOS Season 1 "The Cage" "Doomsday Machine"
    9.5 Disco Season 2 "Miri"
    8.5 Disco Season 1 "Yesteryear"
    7.5 STNG Season 4
    6.5 Enterprise Season 4 minus the finale
    6.0 Pretty much all of DS9
    4.0 Pretty much all of Voyager
    2.0 Most of TOS Season 3
    0.1 "Turnabout Intruder"

Last edited: Apr 24, 2019
  23. GreenDrazi

GreenDrazi Truth is beauty

I just finished Season 2 and I loved it. They've set a pretty high bar that will be difficult to match or surpass next season.

Meng and Dr. Pepper like this.
  24. budwhite

I think I heard it in a podcast. Maybe on Disco nights

25. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Yes, apparently Anson Mount accidentally slugged a director during a rehearsal:

Meanwhile, with production on Season 2 of Discovery now wrapped in Toronto, Mount was involved in an on-set physical altercation in August last year with a director while filming an episode. The incident reportedly stemmed from a discussion of a scene, and Mount gesticulating and pointing, which was the action of the scene in question. In acting out that scene before the cameras were turned on, the actor’s hands made physical contact with the director.

‘Star Trek: Discovery’ Has Two Major Exits Coming By The End Of This Season – Deadline

They "say" that the actor quickly apologized, HR investigated, and it was determined there was no problem there and it was a total accident. :sigh:

Even as an accident, it's a very bad deal to accidentally lay hands on anybody, especially on a film set, especially nowadays.

I would still like to see the guy in his own Trek show, but it's true that sometimes high-strung people are attracted to showbiz, and stuff happens...

budwhite likes this.