New Springsteen Album "Western Stars" June 14*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by FingerPickin'Triumph, Apr 22, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JoeF.

JoeF. Forum Resident

Yes, but it's telling that arguably the three best songs on Wrecking Ball were previously available in superior live versions.

Lewisboogie and BeatleBruceMayer like this.
  2. JoeF.

JoeF. Forum Resident

I was going to say to get Elvis Costello's Look Now. But I think that came out late last year.
    Either way, it's excellent.

MAYBEIMAMAZED and Lewisboogie like this.
  3. johnny 99

johnny 99 Down On Main Street

That was my Number One Album of 2018. Fantastic album in every way.

4. JoeF.

JoeF. Forum Resident

I totally agree. There was only one track out of 13 or so that I didn't like.
    I've been a long time Elvis fan so I know what he's capable of, but even I was pleasantly shocked by how good it is.

5. pacman68

pacman68 Forum Resident

Supposedly this is the new album cover. See my avatar. Not confirmed.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2019
  6. HarvG

HarvG Senior Member

7. JoeF.

JoeF. Forum Resident

The colors and the scenery match the pictures that have been tweeted. The graphics look professional and the type you would see on an album cover--though Bruce's name seems too small. But the Springsteen family loves horses.
    But I can hear it now--"35 years ago Bruce had a best-selling album , the cover of which had a picture of Bruce's a##.
    His new album features a horse's a$$ on the cover...."

Yeah, legit.

daveidmarx and musicaner like this.
  8. JoeF.

JoeF. Forum Resident

Have you heard the Purse EP from RSD? I'm trying to find it on You Tube.

Ken.e. likes this.
  9. musicaner

musicaner Forum Resident

Gershwin esque?

10. robcar

robcar Forum Resident

Great album title if it is legit.

The cover is....okay. Better than some of his past ones, not as good as others.

Bruce has never had the best album covers.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  11. Mooserfan

Mooserfan Forum Resident

That would be a truly bad cover.

Ergo, must be legit.

DocShipe, Sean, picassoson and 8 others like this.
  12. dharma bum

dharma bum Forum Resident

Hey everyone...been reading this board for a few years now, but this is my first time posting. There could definitely be something to these vague images these past few days. This is the same exact strategy the Springsteen camp took when hinting at the video for "Hunter of Invisible Game" a few years back. Regarding an album and tour, it's anybody's guess at this point. He did say no E Street tour this year, but he didn't rule out touring period. I'm going to predict this much though...At the very least, I can see him doing some shows around his 70th birthday in September. Since Bruce has been a recording artist, his 30th, 50th, and 60th birthdays have been celebrated onstage somewhere close to home... so I wouldn't be surprised if that much is being considered IF they are in fact planning some dates.

DavidD, RSteven, Sean and 2 others like this.
  13. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

If he plays live this year I hope it's with a band

14. Josip

Josip Forum Resident

Ok, just reposting from BS forum, take it with as much grain of salt as you want...

Western Sun Tour, just Bruce, Roy and Nils.

Greek Theatre Taormina - private press showcase concert - 9th October

Barcelona - Palau Sant Jordi - 12th-14th October

Milan - Mediolanum Forum - 17th - 19th October

Paris - Bercy - 22th - 24th October

London - O2 Arena - 26th - 28th October

Berlin - Velodrom - 30th October - 1st November

Stockolm - Friends Arena - 7th-9th November

Amsterdam - Ziggo Dome - 12th-14th October

Dublin - 3Arena - 23th -25th October

15. phillyal1

phillyal1 Forum Resident

jimmy webb is still alive and well -- maybe Bruce should have given him a call to collaborate or produce !

RSteven and Murph like this.
  16. BrucefaninNYC

BrucefaninNYC Well-Known Member

Also don't disagree (except for maybe Wrecking Ball itself), but also doesn't change the fact that recycled songs are not always a bad thing.

JoeF. likes this.
  17. Clark V Kauffman

Clark V Kauffman Forum Resident

Ha! He’s had some awful album covers for sure. But I have to say I love this one.

RSteven, Bullis, Sean and 3 others like this.
  18. musicaner

musicaner Forum Resident

i dont think he will tour alone so a tour with roy and nils, the less problematic members of the E street sound legit

19. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

I'm pretty sure that something will happen in the fall but not exactly this.
    I call bogus

20. INSW

INSW Senior Member

It is.

21. Osato

Osato Forum Resident

Speak for yourself.

22. Eiricd

Eiricd Forum Resident

23. OptimisticGoat

OptimisticGoat Everybody's escapegoat....

I assume one of the tracks you are referring to is the studio Land of Hope and Dreams on Wrecking Ball? High Hopes was a deliberate re-working of some tracks and some covers and new stuff. Great tour. As far as I can tell Bruce has been performing tracks live well
    In advance of studio release since at least 1973. Next you will reject Tracks on the same basis.

Sean and DesertHermit like this.
  24. belardd

belardd Senior Member

Bruce Springsteen’s first new studio album in five years takes his music to a new place, drawing inspiration in part from the Southern California pop records of the late ‘60s and early ‘70s. The album was recorded primarily at Springsteen’s home studio in New Jersey, with additional recording in California and New York. Columbia Records will release Springsteen’s 19th studio album on June 14. ‘Western Stars’ will be available for pre-order on Friday, April 26.

“This record is a return to my solo recordings featuring character driven songs and sweeping, cinematic orchestral arrangements," says Springsteen. "It's a jewel box of a record."

The 13 tracks of ‘Western Stars’ encompass a sweeping range of American themes, of highways and desert spaces, of isolation and community and the permanence of home and hope.

The song "Hello Sunshine" and a video will be released just after midnight ET tonight.

Ron Aniello produced the album with Springsteen and plays bass, keyboard, and other instruments. Patti Scialfa provides vocals and contributes vocal arrangements on four tracks. The musical arrangements include strings, horns, pedal steel and contributions from more than 20 other players including Jon Brion (who plays celeste, Moog, and farfisa), as well as guest appearances by David Sancious, Charlie Giordano, and Soozie Tyrell. The album was mixed by Tom Elmhirst.

‘Western Stars’ Song Titles
    1. Hitch Hikin’
    2. The Wayfarer
    3. Tucson Train
    4. Western Stars
    5. Sleepy Joe’s Café
    6. Drive Fast (The Stuntman)
    7. Chasin’ Wild Horses
    8. Sundown
    9. Somewhere North of Nashville
    10. Stones
    11. There Goes My Miracle
    12. Hello Sunshine
    13. Moonlight Motel

All songs written by Bruce Springsteen.

Bruce Springsteen’s recording career spans over 40 years, beginning with 1973's ‘Greetings from Asbury Park, NJ’ (Columbia Records). He has garnered 20 Grammys, won an Oscar and a Tony, been inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, received a Kennedy Center Honor, and was MusiCares’ 2013 Person of the Year. Springsteen’s memoir ‘Born to Run’ (Simon & Schuster) and its companion album ‘Chapter and Verse’ were released in September 2016, and he was awarded the Presidential Medal of Freedom in November 2016. His historic 236-show run of ‘Springsteen on Broadway’ at Jujamcyn’s Walter Kerr Theatre from October 2017 to December 2018 also yielded an accompanying soundtrack album and Netflix special.

Sean, HominyRhodes, jricc and 4 others like this.
  25. OptimisticGoat

OptimisticGoat Everybody's escapegoat....

I don’t think that’s arguable. In any event virtually every Springsteen track is better live.

GMfan87' and DesertHermit like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.