Current McIntosh Solid State Power Amps?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by ishmael, Apr 23, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ishmael

ishmael Forum Resident Thread Starter

Um, ok :sigh:

Muriel Heslop likes this.
  2. galactica1971

galactica1971 Forum Resident

Hmm I always have a problem reading audio reviews, as (in my opinion) so much of it is subjective and there are too many variables. Room treatment, personal preferences, speaker selection - all of those things make a massive difference in perception.

All that being said, the MC462 is an amazing piece of kit. The last amp I had was relatively mid tier (Rotel 200wpc), but I've still kept the old speakers (B&W CM10Mk2) so the output/room hasn't changed - only the amplification.

The 462 has that typical 'mac' sound which I find wonderful (I mainly play back via vinyl source so the pairing just seems to 'click'). I also auditioned a pair of 611's and I couldn't pick up any discernible differences myself. That being said, I don't need to drive my speakers that hard as the room I'm in is relatively small.

So yes I am very happy and I agree with the reviewer in regards to build quality. Although I must say my 462 gets a little warmer than "barely warm".. .Maybe I drive mine a bit harder than the reviewer did!

One great thing about these devices is you get a feel they are an "amp for life"... How true that is, only time will tell - but I suspect I'll be holding onto the 462 for quite a while.

3. Waymore

Waymore Forum Resident

Love the MC2105. My father in law has a cherry one. I have a McIntosh MAC 4100 receiver which is basically the same as the MA 6200 integrated with a tuner added. Damn near 40 yrs old and it’s never been serviced.

McLover, ishmael, 62caddy and 3 others like this.
  4. 62caddy

62caddy Forum Resident

MA6200 + MR75 to be exact. ;)

Probably should consider having it gone through sometime in the near future however.

Waymore and ishmael like this.
  5. JMT

JMT Senior Member

Been a McIntosh fan for a long time. My first system:
    [​IMG]

...then bi-amped:
    [​IMG]

...currently:
    [​IMG]

6. Matt Richardson

Matt Richardson Forum Resident

Mac amps are built very well, but I take exception to the term "built like tanks". Tanks don't have breakable glass panels in the front:)

Matt I and Rolltide like this.
  7. ishmael

Ha very true! Elegant beasts they are!

8. ishmael

Thanks. I would bet you will be "holding on" to the MC462 for a quite a while as well....:winkgrin:

9. ishmael

Dear lord...wow...

JMT likes this.
  10. ishmael

11. TheRealMcCoy

TheRealMcCoy Senior Member

Oh yeah!! I love it.... It rocks....

12. Uglyversal

Uglyversal Forum Resident

As someone else said they are very elegant, I always wanted one but I don't think it is meant to happen.

ishmael likes this.
  13. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

If you are near Northeast Ohio, I've got a near mint MC452 for sale at my house. I truly hate to sell it, but it's truly far more power for any speaker in my home. I will still have my C2300 pre-amp to ease my blue meter needs!

cdgenarian and ishmael like this.
  14. ishmael

...you never know! I also thought I would never own one when my 12 year old face was pressed up against the glass
    of a hifi shop in Manhattan with drop dead gorgeous and seemingly insanely for the time expensive McIntosh gear.

nm_west and Uglyversal like this.
  15. Waymore

Waymore Forum Resident

I got it about 5 years from Audio Classics in NY which is just down the road from the McIntosh factory. They go through their used stuff with a fine toothed comb and it tested out to the original specs. I’m probably gonna run it for another year and then move in a different direction. Either a gently used McIntosh integrated like MA6600 or one of those Brit integrateds by Naim or Rega that get all the rave reviews.

Mad Dog, Humbuster and Muriel Heslop like this.
  16. Muriel Heslop

Muriel Heslop Night is young and the music's high

I purchased my Mcintosh phono pre-amp from Audio Classics and couldn't be happier with their professional service.Had a small issue with it(tubes)and Steve,the owner,has shown himself to be a class act.

I currently own an MA6600 and can highly recommend it for the right space.I am upgrading as I simply need more watts for my overly large listening room.The sound of it is divine.

Humbuster and Waymore like this.
  17. Litejazz53

Litejazz53 Perfect Sound Through Crystal Clear Digital

I think the question should be, is there anyone that does not love McIntosh equipment, everyone does!

ishmael and Muriel Heslop like this.
  18. 62caddy

62caddy Forum Resident

The quality & integrity of Audio Classics' service is second to none. :righton: I'm only an hour away which is extremely convenient for getting equipment repaired but also makes temptation that much easier.

19. Waymore

Waymore Forum Resident

This is why I bought from them. Cost me a couple hundred dollars more to go this route, but figured it would be a piece of equipment that would be in really great shape in spite of being 34 years old when I bought it.

Muriel Heslop likes this.
  20. 62caddy

62caddy Forum Resident

That's the smartest way, IMO. Not worth going through the hassle of buying a pig in a poke on eBay, pray it survives the journey and that it's performing right which it almost never does.

Would be a different story if eBay equipment sold at the discount needed to make it worthwhile but this is rarely the case.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  21. MrRom92

MrRom92 Forum Supermodel

The current amps are really in a league of their own. At least the higher-end (high-high-end?) models. Love my MC2505, it really is built like a tank (minus, ya know, the glass face) but wow one of those kilowatt monstrosities can probably crush it. Both figuratively and literally.

ishmael likes this.
  22. McLover

McLover Senior Member

You know, back in the day, if you didn't want glass, or meters, and wanted to save a little money. You had the option to do so. It was called the MC 250. And if you didn't want two channels in one cabinet, and wanted mono block, or only one channel you had the MC 50 as another choice. Just pointing this out.

MrRom92 likes this.
  23. pterodactyl

pterodactyl Forum Resident

I agree, but mine has a few more miles on it! My newer one is on the top, just got it from eBay as for parts only/not working and it works fine, albeit in need of new caps. The one on the bottom I got in high school in 1979 to use as my bass amplifier. It did that for a few years and then did duty as a PA amp for a few years and finally found its way into my home studio and then the living room. DAC is on top. The best of the new and old![​IMG]

ishmael and sberger like this.
  24. pterodactyl

pterodactyl Forum Resident

Hah! The amp on the bottom of my post above lost the glass ca. 1982 and has been ridden hard and put away wet on the road for years without any complaints. It was a PA amp that got thrown in the back of vans, and did all kinds of crazy amp duty. Still sounds great!

25. Muriel Heslop

Muriel Heslop Night is young and the music's high

What a story that amp could tell,eh?:)

pterodactyl likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.