Amoeba LA to close?

Discussion in 'Music, Movie and Hardware Store Guide' started by zakyfarms, Sep 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Marc Perman

Marc Perman Forum Resident

You should have seen New York before *it* became a corporate, soulless, snooze fest of a city. Hollywood is still pretty seamy, if that’s some small consolation.

2. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

And we have a nicer House if Blues down the freeway in Anaheim for those special club dates. I don’t miss the Sunset location that much, a little bit but not a lot.

But yeah, the Village was loaded with record stores around St. Mark’s Place, glad I got to experience that as well as La-La Land when the gettin’ was good.

Marc Perman and jhm like this.
  3. Rated-R-Ron

Rated-R-Ron Forum Resident

I don't know man, hanging out by Port Authority around 4am and those large, black trash bags on Manhattan curb sides gives me my seamy fix every time lol.

Marc Perman likes this.
  4. Marc Perman

I see the occasional used LP here in LA with a “Sounds” pink sticker on it, so I know I’m not the only former St. Mark’s Place record shopper who ended up here.

Bob J likes this.
  5. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

A ton of New Yorker’s end up on the west coast. This has been a constant for many decades. Not everyone would agree, but the fast hustle, high prices, cold weather in winter, hot summers, and over-all life style can wear you down after a while in NY it appears. Unless you are rich or very well off and own your apt, or have a rent controlled unbeatable bargain home, it might now be a better life elsewhere.

LA is going to get you some of the big city action, at an easier pace. LA is not paradise or perfect but it’s fun and doable usually unless you have too many things working against you.

I had the time of my life for concerts and record stores in LA. I met all my idols and spent quality time with several. I’m grateful I went west as a young man, “go west” my mind’s eye told me. Best move I ever made.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2019
    caupina, dlemaudit, Shawn and 2 others like this.

6. Princeton (prex.com) is your best bet
    or maybe Vintage Vinyl in Fords, NJ

7. AlmanacZinger

AlmanacZinger Zingin'

jhm likes this.
  8. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

I stopped following this thread about a year ago. When is Amoeba set to close it's current building? How long isl it projected to take for them to complete the construction of the new building?

Man, i've only been there two or three times, but, i'm going to miss that funky building with the 50s astrso-type sign in top.

jhm likes this.
  9. Marc Perman

This is the most recent news I've seen:

Commission backs Amoeba tower after skewering its parking plan

10. GuidedByJonO)))

GuidedByJonO))) Forum Resident

I get that they call it the "Amoeba tower" in reference to the site's current use, but seems weird since it's not like Amoeba is the one constructing the new tower.

Although it does make me picture a whole tower of Amoeba.

Grant likes this.
  11. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

And, the nearest tower is the CNN building next to it.

12. FVDnz

FVDnz Forum Resident

I checked out the SF Amoeba when I was in the Bay Area last month. Amazing store but I do find the LA store to be better setup. Excellent coffee around the corner though (Flywheel Coffee)... ;)

Didn't even realise that weed was legal in San Fran when I had my photo taken in front of the store, lol.

13. dlemaudit

dlemaudit Forum Resident

if Amobea could remove those annoying plastic frames when browsing CD's , they would definitely be the best record store in the world .
    what 's up with that crap ?
    its noisy , cumbersome to carry , dirty as hell , they have the cardboard digipacks in a different size frame so you don't see them in the racks , a disaster

Marc Perman likes this.
  14. Loss prevention. But yes, those plastic frames are annoying.

jhm and dlemaudit like this.
  15. dlemaudit

dlemaudit Forum Resident

i guessed indeed it was for theft prevention but tagging when price sticking like other stores do is dead easy , most likely less time consuming and store and customer friendly .
    the unframing as well is not time efficient , neither is the " let me give you the records over the counter after the security gate " , very old school
    apart from that , amazing store and cheap ( for second hand cd's ) eventhough i always ( well been twice to both locations ) found more interesting stuff in the SF store .

Shawn likes this.
  16. dlemaudit

dlemaudit Forum Resident

and LA is great, stayed in Thai town then near the Ralphs on Sunset between Amobea and Guitar Center , gritty enough :)

17. Marc Perman

That supermarket is known locally as the "Rock N Roll Ralph's."

Rodz42 likes this.
  18. dlemaudit

dlemaudit Forum Resident

yes i knew that actually , somehow but did not know the same store would still be there .
    I read a book about the LA late seventies punk scene and this was the grocery store where John Doe fromX would "shop for detergent at 3 am "
    Passing through the jungle of tents , junkies and poor souls wandering around was rock n roll enough for me

Marc Perman likes this.
  19. bosskeenneat

bosskeenneat Forum Resident

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems that another office high-rise is being constructed where the old Hullabaloo/Aquarius theater was. If L.A. thinks it can bring out new "glory days" by putting up these giants, they are pathetically mistaken. And if Amoeba is not able to nest in a decent, sizable location in the Hollywood-ish area, the local economy lets them go at their own risk.

Marc Perman and Shawn like this.
  20. That’s the thing - the area that Amoeba is in was pretty much a wasteland before they opened up shop. Even the Cinerama Dome was showing its age, and if you parked around it to see a movie you worried about your car getting broken in to. Once Amoeba came in, that neighborhood took a turn for the better. It will be sad to see them go.

21. Marc Perman

22. Roosevelt Sykes

Roosevelt Sykes Forum Resident

In LA next week. is Ameoba still worth a go?
    Last time I was there, the vinyl (jazz/blues/country) was completely picked over.

How about Record Surplus in Santa Monica? Any info/opinions appreciated!!!

23. StevenC

StevenC SUEDE > Both Oasis AND Blur.

There is a trick to shopping Amoeba. Just because the group that owns the actual building wants to sell it or whatever, it doesn't mean Amoeba is struggling! Amoeba isn't on the down swing. Amoeba isn't overpriced (and I have evidence)...

You don't want to look for used vinyl by going in the normal A-Z section.

Here are the steps:

1. Check out the New/Recent Arrivals section just past the registers
    2. Check out the vinyl on the walls

Yes, there is a lot of foot traffic because the Hollywood and San Francisco stores are so awesome, but... you can still find gems.

Amoeba isn't the place to find your old ratty Captain Beefheart record for $4.oo. That's not what Amoeba is about. You can go to Mono Records for that.

Here is my evidence that Amoeba isn't overpriced. Check these things on Discogs.
    I walked to the back of the San Francisco store and had the worker take some of these items off the wall for me to inspect.
    I ended up buying TWO records.

1. I bought AC/DC "T.N.T." Authentic BLACK LABEL with Yellow border (2nd issue not the blue or Blue "Roo") but it was a NM Record in a VG++/Excellent sleeve for $50 (compare to Discogs)
    2. Bought a Mint Minus copy of Bloc Party "Silent Alarm" (original 2005 UK copy on Wichita records), $60.00

They had all of the AC/DC originals on blue label Albert Records with Australian Artwork. in VG++ condition. Ranging from $40-$110 based on title. All half the cost of what similar condition versions fetch on Discogs.

Kicking myself for not buying the "Powerage"

Anyway, if you want cheap records, go to Mono Records (Glendale)
    If you want new and used of all genres and sometimes collectible records, go to Amoeba
    If you want used records in better condition with sometimes gems like OG Mofi Records or Japan imports on the wall, try "Rockaway Records"
    If you want new and used, but a lot of re-issues mixed with used, go to Fingerprints in Long Beach.
    For hidden gem used vinyl, Try RECORD PARLOUR (walking distance from Amoeba)
    And don't bother with the record shop in Pasadena. Can't remember the name but it sucks.

And get yourself to Delicious Pizza (founded by owner of Delicious Vinyl) and get yourself a pie

Last edited: Oct 4, 2019
    mikeyt and dlemaudit like this.
  24. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

Record Surplus was way better when it was on Pico. Much bigger store.

25. StevenC

StevenC SUEDE > Both Oasis AND Blur.

the other disaster is when they use packing tape and tape the living s**t out of some of the vinyl records. Often over the hype sticker. Maybe hype stickers are unnecessary but that's up to me if i choose to preserve it. I don't get at all.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.