Recommendations- Building a Benny Goodman Collection

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ponso1966, Mar 2, 2019.

1. Ponso1966

Ponso1966 Active Member Thread Starter

What are some recommended Goodman box sets, either vinyl or CD? Ive heard many of the CD releases have too much noise reduction. Would prefer box sets as a matter of convenience but would buy single records or CDs. Interested in the best sound possible but not 78s. Thanks for any input in advance.

2. McLover

McLover Senior Member

On the 78 RPM era Benny Goodman material, best way to hear them is on 78 RPM originals. Everything else does not sound as good.

3. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Try the French RCA Jazz Tribune albums if you can find them, they sound pretty decent to my ears. Some images:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

SOONERFAN, caravan70, jbg and 4 others like this.
  4. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

...and the Benny Goodman CDs that were released by Hep in the UK in their 1000 series also sound pretty good: Hep Jazz music store (click on "1000 series" in the left hand corner and then on "Benny Goodman" in the left hand corner). The transfers and mastering were done by the late John R.T. Davies. I have no idea if they're still selling CDs, though.

caravan70, bluemooze, Sean and 5 others like this.
  5. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

The best stuff is the small combo music, with Teddy Wilson and company.

6. Ponso1966

JAW, thank you for the recommendations. I just found the full set on Discogs for a few bucks each and ordered them. Appreciate your help.

7. Ponso1966

They are still available and I love Davies work. They’re not too expensive either. I’m going to pick some of these up as well. I really appreciate your suggestions.

caravan70, Sean, The Beave and 2 others like this.
  8. There are some very good Benny Goodman with Orchestra LP's. Some are reissued in Japan but available worldwide
    Here is one of those

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. originalsnuffy

originalsnuffy Socially distant and unstuck in time

I had a CD a long time ago of Benny Goodman playing classical music. Anybody here know much about that?

Ponso1966 likes this.
  10. misterjones

misterjones Smarter than the average bear.

Given his stature, there should be more Benny Goodman box sets. Perhaps the best place to start is to divide Goodman into his three major labels (RCA) Victor, Columbia and Capitol. Those can be subdivided into big band and small group recordings, vocal and non-vocal recordings, and, of course, LP and CD.

RCA Victor - I have a 16-LP "The RCA Victor Years" set that essentially covers it. This is a remastered version of the individual double-LPs issued in the 1970s, which can be assembled individually. Then there are, as noted, the "Jazz Tribune" CDs and LPs, which also can be assembled for a complete collection, but they seem a bit pricey. I have the two double-LP sets of small group recordings.

Columbia - The best set here is Mosaic's "Classic Columbia and Okeh Benny Goodman Orchestra Sessions", which appears to be out of print, but it does not include the vast majority of the works with vocals or any of the small group sessions. You'd have to get those separately (e.g., the 3-CD complete Goodman-Forrest collection). I decided to get most (all?) of the small group recordings on individual LPs (all 6-eyes, I think).

Capitol - Here again, Mosaic is best with their complete small group sessions collection (the LP version is dynamite). I'm not aware of a complete Capitol orchestral collection. Those may have to be collected individually - which I did to a large extent - and Goodman recorded some excellent versions of his classic RCA Victor stuff in great sound for Capitol.

Odds and Ends - There's a lot of various Goodman CDs and LPs that are invaluable to a solid collection that don't constitute a set. The Hep CDs are sourced directly from 78s, but those are not complete. They sound great, however, and the material is choice. I won't get into 78s - though I have quite a few (including the 12" Sing Sing Sing, which set me back about $50) - or 10" LPs or 45 RPM boxes.

SOONERFAN, alchemy, caravan70 and 5 others like this.
  11. Tjazz

Tjazz Breakfast at (a record store)

I've always thought this album swings
    [​IMG]

12. misterjones

Does this overlap with "Happy Session"? The name - Happy Session - initially was a turnoff (it made it sound like a children's record), but it's a great LP. Another "add-on"' as this material is not on the Mosaic set.

13. What is the label of this one. Can you list some tracks pl. I am always interested in the big formations of Goodman as a big band fan in general.

14. misterjones

Capitol's "Hi-Fi" recordings are first-rate. They are excellent re-recordings of previously issued material. Harry James and Stan Kenton are two others.

15. A great one in this jap. big band series is the reissue of Ray Anthony's Capitol LP "I Remember Glenn Miller"

16. Chazzbo13

Chazzbo13 Forum Resident

another classical choice...
    [​IMG]

and though it's not strictly a "box set", this is probably the best live tracks from the "classic" Goodman era - no noise reduction

[​IMG]

17. Eyedok

Eyedok Forum Resident

Second the 1938 Carnegie Hall concert! Certainly the best BG performance. The group is hot! Sonics are somewhat limited by the age of the recording, but many versions are available. Listen to them and pick the one that is best for your ears. Enjoy.

caravan70, Sean, hugh . g. and 4 others like this.
  18. mesfen

mesfen Senior Member

Try finding On the Air 1937-38 recorded by Bill Savory. These are radio broadcasts of several concerts. Classic Goodman lineup; these are rather remarkable recordings

Ponso1966 likes this.
  19. [​IMG][/QUOTE]

I have here a copy on the Chess label with a slightly different layout of the front cover.

First track is "Mission to Moscow" and last track is "Stereo Stomp"

caravan70 likes this.
  20. Another one I like is this one

[​IMG]

Uncle Meat and Ponso1966 like this.
  21. misterjones

Sad to say, there are a ton of Savory recordings unavailable due to insane licensing restrictions. They can be listened to at the jazz museum in Harlem but nowhere else. Where are the bootleggers when you need them!

I’m not sure what the best version of the so-called second jazz concert is, if that’s what you are referring to. I have it on 45 rpm.

Ponso1966 likes this.
  22. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

THIS ONE!!!! The legendary Carnegie Hall concert is the one where you want to start. And the Gene Krupa drum solo on the "Sing Sing Sing" is historic. If you don't have a 78rpm player, don't worry. I have a 33 box set. I'm sure it has been put out on compact disc. It's never going to be audiophile quality given the age of the recording, but get a copy to listen to. One of the best jazz albums of all time.

peter1, Ponso1966, The MEZ and 2 others like this.
  23. mesfen

mesfen Senior Member

https://www.amazon.com/Air-1937-193...an+on+the+air&qid=1556295173&s=gateway&sr=8-1
    These are interesting airchecks; remarkable recordings considering