New Springsteen Album "Western Stars" June 14*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by FingerPickin'Triumph, Apr 22, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OptimisticGoat

OptimisticGoat Everybody's escapegoat....

You just can’t let go!

2. Dr. Zoom

Dr. Zoom Forum Resident

Of what?

OptimisticGoat and Jack like this.
  3. OptimisticGoat

The best answer I can think of immediately is “nostalgic retrospective equivocation”. It’s a good song....surely. Accentuate the positive?

4. Davido

Davido ...assign someone to butter your muffin?

The song won’t set the world on fire, but at least it’s not embarrassing... and it may be a grower. The singles are rarely the best songs on any album too.

max4334, Fullbug, No Bull and 3 others like this.
  5. Randy5554

Randy5554 Forum Resident

“You fall in love with lonely, you end up that way” and “no place to be but miles to go, but miles to go is miles away” are nice lines. I like the song and am looking forward to hearing more from the album.

6. JAuz

JAuz Forum Resident

Good first impression from me.

We've heard about the '60s/'70s songs that this is taking inspiration from. But I also hear stuff like Dwight Yoakam's "A Thousand Miles From Nowhere" and some of the songs from Beck's Sea Change in there. Lush, desert-sounding songs wallowing in one's misery.

The difference is that Bruce's new song can see the way out. Given that it's the second-to-last song on the album, I do wonder if some of the other songs have him stuck in the middle of it, that could be interesting listening.

Bruce doing Western music, I think it's a good combination and a great change of pace. Bring on the album.

max4334, Sean Murdock, robcar and 5 others like this.
  7. Dr. Zoom

Dr. Zoom Forum Resident

OK. Well, as I said before, it IS a good enough song, nicely produced. It's not Working On A Dream or Outlaw Pete, so that's good.
    As a middle aged person who has suffered from bouts of the deep blues, I appreciate the sentiment of wishing the sun would stay out (particularly after this past winter!) To me, the communication of that sentiment in this song is...OK. Didn't really resonate with me, but maybe it will grow. And maybe the rest of the album will have more substance.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2019
  8. btltez

btltez Forum Resident

I can't get past the blatant Everybody's Talkin' rip off. I can't see how anyone can, but I'm glad for the fans who like it. I wish I could as I was a mega fan since day one but he lost me pretty much after Tunnel of Love. I've listened to every album since and the only one I liked was Lucky Town and few sporadic others, mostly the soundtrack stuff. I don't think Bruce has an original creative thought left in his head. His narcissism has led him to believe whatever he does is relevant and important and belongs in the American Canon. That fake southern drawl from a jersey boy is just too much to handle for me. I love the Beatles but didn't start speaking with a Liverpudlian accent wth? Just doesn't ring true for me and truth is what he used to be about. Money ruins everything lol.

Fullbug likes this.
  9. OptimisticGoat

I am not an artistic type. Having said that I have visited more art galleries in the last 5 years of my life than the previous 43 odd years. This much I can say - artists live to challenge themselves and their audiences. The Boss is an artist in my view. He has moved beyond what some parts of his audience want. He challenges himself and the audience at the same time. I will support that because every time I find something new in that process. It’s like any relationship: spend your time grumbling about what your partner is no longer or, accept that neither are you, and there needs to be a way to move forward together.

10. OptimisticGoat

I found the Beatles singing about Rocky Racoon so authentic too.

Martin Byrne and phillyal1 like this.
  11. Dr. Zoom

Dr. Zoom Forum Resident

Bruce and I got divorced about 10 years ago. But we still remain friends.

max4334, J_D__, budwhite and 5 others like this.
  12. rrbbkk

rrbbkk Forum Resident

He's definitely channeling his inner Jimmy Webb. I just wish the band and arrangement were soaring on the fade out. Think about it.

Anyway, I like it.

No Bull and OptimisticGoat like this.
  13. OptimisticGoat

I know. I wonder if you guys can ever reconcile to mutual respect?

14. Dr. Zoom

Dr. Zoom Forum Resident

I respect him very much, and that he's following his muse. I think the main issue is that I've never been much of a fan of the Webb/Campbell genre, and by all accounts this album is his crack at it.
    We'll still see each other at birthdays and holidays.

DavidD, budwhite and OptimisticGoat like this.
  15. ExHead

ExHead Forum Resident

It’s not a bad track, but it’s just too similar to Good Time Charlie

16. OptimisticGoat

Ok. I can see you are being responsible adults. Can you commit to non disparagement in public forums? Can the NYC lineman remain on the line... ?

btltez and Dr. Zoom like this.
  17. PepiJean

PepiJean Forum Resident

I love Hello SunShine.
    I love the cover.
    I love Bruce.

Charlie Z., johnny 99 and DBMartin like this.
  18. btltez

btltez Forum Resident

Big diff between a one off parody and an entire new voice/accent on every album after discovering Woody Guthrie and Hank Williams.

efegarcia and boe like this.
  19. DBMartin

DBMartin Forum Resident

Simple observations, but I couldn't agree more! :)

PepiJean and OptimisticGoat like this.
  20. featheredfiend

featheredfiend Forum Resident

Man, I know it may not be everyone's cup o' tea, but I love this tune...I dig the whole Glen Campbell/Harry Nilsson-Everybody's Talkin At Me/Jimmy Webb feel and vibe to the song.

And while the lyrics are fairly simplistic, I love the sentiment behind them. If the whole album sounds and feels like this, there will be no complaints from me!!!

Mooserfan, Fullbug and OptimisticGoat like this.
  21. OptimisticGoat

Pretty naive to think it took the ultimate imitator 30+ years to discover either of them. He is not from an Arabic or Chinese background you know? He grew up in the USA. I have it on good authority he was born there.

PS. I thought the Beatles were the greatest band of all time- not a parody act. Surely there was a masterpiece they could have put out if Rocky was a parody..... next you will tell me I’m Fat was groundbreaking?

Dr. Zoom likes this.
  22. maxnix

maxnix Forum Resident

I think it's a great song. No escaping the Danny O'Keefe comparison, but so what. Looking forward to the rest.

DavidD, INSW and OptimisticGoat like this.
  23. btltez

btltez Forum Resident

Dude. I have no idea what you are talking about. Let it go.

budwhite likes this.
  24. Paul J

Paul J Forum Resident

My first impression also.

MidnightRocks and Mark E. Moon. like this.
  25. OptimisticGoat

You know what I am talking about.Go back to the latest Hank Williams and Woodie Guthrie albums and forget about these themes in the present day. Don’t worry about the lived experience of someone living in your own time
    and place .. any excuse.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.