Does anyone still buy and collect DVDs?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by php111, Sep 25, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stepeanut

stepeanut The gloves are off

You’re welcome.

Collective wisdom has it that the BFI set features the far superior transfers/encoding, where the two intersect.

I’ve been tempted by the Shout Factory release on several occasions — especially when I saw a copy in person, in Canada — but the high price always puts me off. I’d only be getting it for the few films not included by the BFI.

2. Slack Babbath

Slack Babbath Hit The North...

Not sure if they do a US compatible one but as I live in England not an issue for me. Hunt around you might find one.

Watched Fitzccaraldo last night Excellent. Then started watching the documentary about the makin of it - Burden Of Dreams . Never knew Mick Jagger was cast in it originally.

jlocke08 likes this.
  3. Slack Babbath

What sort of films did you grab ?

4. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Kinda sad, mostly all worthless.

5. stepeanut

stepeanut The gloves are off

The BFI do not release DVDs or BDs in any country other than the U.K.

6. John B Good

John B Good Forum Hall Of Fame

On a bit of a buying binge now. Don't plan on upgrading to BR, and figure that when my eyesight can't cope with as much reading, I may still be able to watch video.

Trouble is, many of the movies I want are pricey - juts recently bought and last night watched Blow Up.

7. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

I suspect some are. There are pricey CDs despite the fact that CDs are very cheap and you can't give them away.

Michael likes this.
  8. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

Things like:
    Family Guy Season 1
    This Is Spinal Tap (2 Disc)
    The Dark knight
    Taken
    Assault On Precinct 13
    The Office
    The NeverEnding Story
    True Romance
    Sherlock Holmes

I'd have to dig out the others, but you get the idea, mainstream titles.

Slack Babbath likes this.
  9. Slack Babbath

Nice ,well worth the money you didn’t pay !

Dubmart likes this.
  10. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

thanks...

11. Michael

yea, Shout sucks...their prices suck!, and they know there are ppl that will pay their price...JMO.

12. Dave Garrett

Dave Garrett Senior Member

Irritating for those of us who are Herzog obsessives that there's just enough unique material on each set to tempt one into having both. I had the BFI set but given the price of the Shout set I patiently waited until they finally had a decent sale and I was able to pick it up for around 55% off list. That was a sufficiently large discount to lessen the impact of double-dipping on some of the films.

stepeanut likes this.
  13. Michael

no resale value-yes on most...movie value-great especially if not on BD...

14. Michael

yes, the OOP DVDs go for good money on ebay, Amazon, etc... as the sharks snap them up at Good Will and other various places and make a killing...

15. Michael

sometimes the BD are cheaper than the DVDs...

Jrr likes this.
  16. alexpop

I can handle about another 600 titles at least space wise ( DVDs /Blu Ray) .. Then I'll have to give a couple of hundred to the nearest charity shop, to make way for more titles.

17. John B Good

John B Good Forum Hall Of Fame

I've noticed that, Prices are all over the map for many things. I doubt 1 out of 10 business people have any idea of the Price-Volume Relationship.

Michael likes this.
  18. Michael

probably correct. : )

19. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

It's a great time to be a DVD collector, as it's still a perfectly watchable format and prices are a fraction of what they used to be. I recently picked up the complete Dukes of Hazzard box set for only $35 :)

Dave112 and storrs19 like this.
  20. It’s an even better time to be a Blu Ray collector. Better image quality and prices, although not as low as DVD, are decent.

SteveM likes this.
  21. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

For sure... I was just pointing out that DVDs are hardly worthless as many people seem to believe they are.

wayneklein likes this.
  22. BILLONEEG

BILLONEEG Senior Member

You are absolutely right! When it comes to older shows, DVD's are perfect! I don't need to see Rod Serling on "The Twilight Zone" in high definition so the DVD is fine & looks quite good on it's own. The only reason I can see for paying only a few dollars more for a TV show on Blu-Ray is to get more episodes on each discs & have less discs in the case & which would require less space on the shelf.

905, Dave112, sgb and 1 other person like this.
  23. alexpop

Yep! Definitely Blu Rays advantage, also preferred thin amaray cases..over chunky ones..

24. It really depends on the show and if it was shot on film vs. video. There is a noticeable increase in image quality even for TV shows.

25. BILLONEEG

BILLONEEG Senior Member

I understand & agree about film & picture quality. I however am happy with the DVD's upgrade level because (to me) it seems to maintain that vintage feeling that is part of the magic & enjoyment of old TV shows.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.