Your Favorite Low-Power 70's Receiver

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by leahy, Apr 28, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. leahy

leahy Forum Resident Thread Starter

All - I have a pair of 16ohm single driver speakers (92/watt), and I'm looking for your favorite low-power 15-40 watt) receivers from the '70s. Speaker manufacturer suggests damping factor around 40. I want a GREAT tuner section and an overall engaging sound. Some ideas I have are: Sansui 771, 5000A/X, 1000A (tube); Pioneer SX636/838, HK X30, Sony earlier models... Are there any "under the radar" that can be had for $400 or less? What are your thoughts?

Looking forward to your replies.

2. Roger Beltmann

Roger Beltmann Old...But not obsolete

Harmon Kardon 430 twin power. My favorite

3. stereoguy

stereoguy Its Gotta Be True Stereo!

hard to beat those 70s Harmon Kardons. Excellent units.

4. Uglyversal

Uglyversal Forum Resident

I would probably go for a mid to late 70's pioneer or Marantz but I am not sure which model as most of the ones I like are more powerful than your request.

jeffsab, hi_watt and leahy like this.
  5. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

I had a Pioneer SX-450. Super smooth sound.

hi_watt, The FRiNgE, jdsher and 4 others like this.
  6. leahy

Any thoughts on the variability of the the HKs? A common these is that some sound spectacular and others somewhat bland. Any rhyme or reason as to specific dates of manufacture/serial numbers? For the cost, maybe I should buy 3 or 4 and see if there is a difference...

7. leahy

My thought is that in many amp lines, those with simpler power supplies and less power sound a little sweeter than the more powerful ones in the line. May not be the case with Marantz.

8. leahy

Roger - thanks for the reply. Have you done any work on the 430s? I've done some research on this one, and I have some questions regarding maintenance/repair. I don't have high-level techs in the area, so I'd like to get an amp within my skillset of repair, should it need work.

9. riverrat

riverrat Senior Member

Marantz 2230

10. HiFi Guy

HiFi Guy Forum Resident

They had power supply issues, but I'd think they'd all be gone through by now. Your speakers will present an easy load in any case.

leahy likes this.
  11. lobo

lobo Music has always been a matter of Energy to me...

Still regret selling mine. Engaging sound and simply wonderful looking.

12. HiFi Guy

HiFi Guy Forum Resident

In the same vein, I was thinking a Marantz 2226 or 2226B, but I'd imagine the H/K 330 or 430 might be had for less money.

13. Abbagold

Abbagold Working class hero

Sansui 2000x here. Really good sound for about $150.

hi_watt and Wally Swift like this.
  14. Guth

Guth Music Lover

I own a couple of Marantz receivers from the 70’s. A 2238B as well as a 2250B. I would agree with an earlier comment that the 2238B is a bit sweeter sounding than the 2250B. Each receiver is enjoyable in it’s own way. I’ve personally grown fonder of the looks of the later model 2238B.

jeffsab and leahy like this.
  15. Apesbrain

Apesbrain Forum Resident

Tandberg made some very nice receivers back then. Good looking and good sounding.

16. RogerB

RogerB Forum Resident

I’ve got four Marantz receivers from 70’s.
    2216, 2218, 2220B and 2235B. I love all of them. Often at night I’ll turn them on even if I’m listening to CD’s just because they are so beautiful to look at!!

Good luck!

The FRiNgE, hi_watt, jeffsab and 2 others like this.
  17. M.R.Collins

M.R.Collins Forum Resident

Sony STR-V4 (not v4l, different unit). This unit is a little over your power needs at 55 watts. It has a nice toroidal power supply, a very good to excellent tuner section and a very usable phono section. It is described as a warm sounding amp. I really like this amp and I think in many ways better than the V5, BY and V7.

leahy likes this.
  18. vinylkid58

vinylkid58 Forum Resident

What do you have?

I use an SX-636 for my desktop comp. system. It's a great little receiver. Speakers are single driver, bit closer to 4 ohms.

jeff

leahy likes this.
  19. Jeremy B.

Jeremy B. Forum Resident

I loved my Marantz 2230. The only reason I got rid of it is because I invested in a serious upgrade (at like 8x the price) and I don't have the space for two systems. It was a sweet unit, and beautiful to look at. The headphone output also sounded stellar with my Audeze LCD-2's.

Gotta say though, after switching to a modern integrated, it'd be hard to go back to not having a remote control.

jek57, jeffsab and leahy like this.
  20. paulieb00

paulieb00 Senior Member

The Advent Model 300. Great phono stage and FM tuner.

21. SpeedMorris

SpeedMorris Forum Resident

I had an SX636 and did a trade+labor deal from the widow of an older friend for a 737. A really nice jump in bass control and overall ease of sound. It drove a pair of PSB 500s (8" two-ways, 89 dB) in a recent sized room with ease. I have it driving a set of 86 dB Wharfedale Diamond 10.1s in a small room and am often amazed by the power and control (snap) of the bass. The tuner seems to sound quite nice, but I'm certainly no expert there.

It sounds way better than a Marantz 2220B on another shelf in the same room and a 2270 owned by another friend.

leahy likes this.
  22. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

I love my '74 Marantz 2225 Receiver. Especially for FM and my favourite Classic Rock station...

23. leahy

Hi Jeff - I have some Vivace Mini speakers from Finale Audio. It was a speaker commissioned from the Arteluthe designer. I have an 8X14 dedicated space, and the speaker is amazing at filling the space and making it feel bigger than it is. I have absolutely no need for a sub, and I enjoy a lot of bass-heavy music. With the right amp, there is drama, scale, and I get totally involved. I don't want separates anymore, and we have several good radio stations that I enjoy quite often. If I can get a good deal on several of these suggestions, I'll give 'em a shot and see which one reigns supreme!

24. leahy

Thanks for the reply - I'll read up on that model.

M.R.Collins likes this.
  25. leahy

I'm definitely going to try a Sansui or two. Do you think the X is worth seeking out over the A model? Thanks - Michael

The FRiNgE likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.