Any Pro Wrestling Fans Here? V2.0

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by sirmikael, Apr 28, 2011.

1. Dirkwkirk

Dirkwkirk Forum Resident

I have some old stuff from my parents. Nature boy autograph. Lou Thez? lighter. I got to see Bobo Brazil, Haystacks Calhoun,Fred Curry, among others.

Mr. H and MikeInFla like this.
  2. AirJordanFan93

AirJordanFan93 Forum Resident

I assume Buddy Rogers and not Flair

Thesz

3. Dirkwkirk

Dirkwkirk Forum Resident

Yes Buddy Rogers from the 50,s I think. And yes Thesz. I am too lazy to find the lighter.

MikeInFla and Matthew Tate like this.
  4. sons of nothing

sons of nothing Forum Resident

Don't know if WWE has bought the rights to IWA matches, but if they didn't, they should. Plenty of awesome stuff with guys like CM Punk, Tyler Black, I think Bryan Daniels had some matches with them as well.

5. AirJordanFan93

AirJordanFan93 Forum Resident

They don't. When they did the CM Punk DVD in 2012 they paid for footage to be shown on the DVD but that was it.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  6. MikeInFla

MikeInFla Glad to be out of Florida

Yeah but they also discuss the fall of "characters" and how Vince was trying to be a baby face with the whole Bret deal and the fans turned on him creating the Mr. McMahon character. And they pointed out that "performers" today are told WHO they are, told WHAT to say and told WHAT to do. The only ones who can do WHAT they want and say WHAT they want are Vince, Step, Trips and Shane. So now the focus isn't on any individuals but "the family". Jim pointed out he knew how to make someone turn heel then automatically turn face. They would go out there and say "I am gonna do what I want and I am not going to say anything you want me to say and I am going to do what I want to do". Heel=face. lol! the podcast is over 2 hours long but a great discussion. The mention how Dusty went off script with Steph and gave her the "hand" and he never appeared on screen again because, as Jim stated, Dusty KNOWS the Dusty character better than anyone and he responded how he should have.

Mr. H likes this.
  7. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

They do not want them. I have known Ian and all his boys and girls for twenty years. Cornette calls them an outlaw mudshow and he is correct. Our first big show was headed by Ian and Pondo. I made some good friends among his guys like Necro, Toby(Mr Insanity), and Chris Hero. But I would never book that crap. Light tubes? Mousetraps? STAPLE GUNS??????. Its bloody garbage. For Punk it was just a place to work and he never did the hardcore stuff.
    Ian has been banned in multiple places and caused real grief to REAL promoters as he tainted the business.
    As I have said before I like Ian and his wife, but if he's bleeding I want to be in another room. Hepatitis. God knows how many he has infected. He should not be allowed to work any more. Sorry Ian.

I cannot watch 3/4 of the IWA matches I have seen.

Paul R and Matthew Tate like this.
  8. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

Canton, Cleveland, or Toledo? You all were in Farhats Big Time territory. The time frame you are talking about would make the Curry Wild Bill, Fred's dad. Fred started about 68.

9. The MEZ

The MEZ Forum Resident

I was a WWF fan 1977- 1997.

10. jmobrien68

jmobrien68 Forum Resident

I laughed when they mentioned keeping Sarge in the dark about the double-cross so if Bret or anyone went after Vince, the Sarge would take them out!

MikeInFla likes this.
  11. jmobrien68

I hope they can make amends... he's very popular with his co-workers and seems like he would be a positive locker room leader.
    I read there was a possible feud with Sami Zayn that they cancelled leading to Harper requesting his release.
    Would love to see him feud with Joe... just two physical big men... maybe even do one of those 'best of' series of matches like they did with Seamus and Cesaro.

As far as the other malcontent... Sasha Banks... cut her loose.
    As a fan, it looks to me that they went out of their way to separate Bayley from Sasha... I think they realize Sasha is a bad influence on her and I think as a way to stick it to Sasha, Bayley is gonna get a nice push.

12. jmobrien68

This poor guy... such a talent... so under-utilized IMO.
    I'm just a fan... but I'd love them to do a story where Mick Foley comes back with an axe to grind and looks to pass a Mankind torch and then he works with CH/KO to groom him as a brutal sadistic 'killer'... not the cartoony Yurple/Socko version.
    We need more old school scary devious heels... I know wrestling has progressed, but why can't there be room for some old black and white, good vs evil... you have enough TV time to enhance your product.
    When I was a kid... it was the mid card feuds that really drew me in (e.g Roberts v Steamboat, Tully v Magnum).
    Goes back to my post on Harper... being in the mid card is not a bad thing... IMO, a strong mid-card with long stories and feuds is a key component that is missing from the main roster. I know injuries kind of derailed it, but my case in point is the Gargano/Ciampa story that ran for years through NXT.

Mr. H and Matthew Tate like this.
  13. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

The Iconics is a comedy act. That will NOT establish the titles as serious. Promises were made and broken with no explanation. I was waiting for the title match with Tamina and Nia, THAT would have been serious.
    They are two of the best and completely cut out of the title pictures. Can't imagine why they would be upset. Sasha was very vocal about it.

14. Dirkwkirk

Dirkwkirk Forum Resident

Toledo. Sports Arena. Man Mountain Cannon

15. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

I know lots of people love Chris Hero from the Indies, but Kassius Ohno from NTX, IMO, doesn't deserve any better than he's gotten. Maybe it's not his idea to stuff his, uh-hum, "bulk" into those ridiculous-looking basketball uniforms, but I believe the awful ring name was his creation (and it does fit well with his awful entrance music). He has not gotten himself over in two tries in an NXT environment that generally fawns over indie veterans. I gave up watching the UK brand so I don't know how things have worked out there for him. He's back for a one-off appearance in NXT, clearly with a job to do.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  16. jmobrien68

One promo that always stuck out in my mind (and I think the comment is apropos here) is when Bret went to WCW and Randy Savage told him his main problem was that he was the world's biggest mark for himself.
    In this situation, I'm seeing Sasha the same way.

17. RayS

If I were Sasha I would be unimpressed with the "Can't hold a title for more than a few days" gimmick too.

Stormrider77 and JamieC like this.
  18. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

Well that worked out well didn't it.
    [​IMG]
    Vinnie Mac earned that.

RayS likes this.
  19. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

NXT referee Tom Castor went down with a literal broken leg while working a title match between Velveteen and Tyler Breeze. Down on the mat with his leg going the wrong direction the boys took the match home..... and he rolled over and counted the PIN!!!
    My God SIR! My hat is off to you SIR!
    I may just have a new hero.

20. The MEZ

The MEZ Forum Resident

This thread has brought up so many memories. My Dad and older brother with his friends used to take me as a young boy to the New Haven Colosium. Chief Jay Strongbow (I forget his tag team parters name in the late 70's), Ken Patera, SD Jones, Superstar Billy Graham, Dusty Rhoades, Mil Mascaras (man of 1,000 masks) George Animal Steele, polish power Ivan Putski, Prof Tanaka and Mr. Fugi, Greg The Hammer Valentine, The Iron Sheik, Bruno Samartino, The most bring champ ever Bob Backlund ( What was his mgr's name? Only had Backlund). Great mgrs. Classy Freddie Blaslee, The Wizard, Captain Lou Albano. The unpredictable Johnny Rodz. There was always that stiff that never ever won. Frank something or other.. This was just before it all exploded in 1984- forward. Great childhood memories.

Matthew Tate, 905 and Mr. H like this.
  21. RayS

Billy Whitewolf
    Arnold Skaland

I started watching WWWF in the middle 70s.

Matthew Tate and The MEZ like this.
  22. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

Didn't Arnold Skaland manage Sammartino before him?

Matthew Tate, RayS and The MEZ like this.
  23. The MEZ

The MEZ Forum Resident

Oh yes he had Sammartino before Backlund ty

Matthew Tate and RayS like this.
  24. Mr. H

Mr. H Forum Resident

Cornette is old school. I don’t agree with everything he has to say, but I’m so happy he’s out there saying it. His podcasts are great, as are his articles on his site.

Matthew Tate and MikeInFla like this.
  25. 905

905 Senior Member

I love spending time here reading old wrestling memories.
    KM : Discussion Forums

The MEZ likes this.