Room Treatment Products from UA Acoustics?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Helom, Apr 19, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sta11ker

Sta11ker Active Member

so no one tried to order the panels from these guys?

2. Kyhl

Kyhl On break

I'm happy with my combination of home made traps and stuff from GIK.

The first step is to understand your problem. You can't fix a speaker with room treatments. Most every speaker has enough bass. If you are hearing more highs than lows I'd focus on fixing why the lows are missing. If the speaker isn't producing enough of what you want, go speaker shopping. If they are but the bass is missing at the listening position, or you notice areas in the room with large amounts of bass then treatments can help. Using traps to attenuate highs can help slightly but I doubt will get anyone where they want to go.

Room problems start with bass. Most absorbent style bass traps are broadband meaning they handle all frequencies from some low point on up. I recommend staying away from tuned traps unless you have measured the room and know exactly what you are trying to fix and exactly where it is going to be placed in order to fix the problem. Placing a trap where it isn't needed does little to help room acoustics. Correct placement of a tuned trap is even more important.

From that point of view, foam is the lesser tool for the job because fluffy absorbers go lower than foam, for the same given thickness. Also, if an absorber is too dense then high frequencies will bounce off, making fluffy work better at both ends of the spectrum.

When treating in general, the broader the better which usually means fluffy.

Mike-48 likes this.
  3. I use panels from Addictive Sound in Poland. I buy on ebay and the panels are very well made. Effective. Only less than 50pounds each inl. Postage. Loads of colours.

Helom likes this.
  4. Sta11ker

Sta11ker Active Member

Well, no one is trying, then I will check, the price is not great anyway.
    I ordered acoustic panels for placement behind the acoustics and listening space.

500 x 500 x 50 mm. 8 pieces
    Total price with shipping came € 160.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Some little experience with acoustic panels is already there. Now I will test these products.
    Unsubscribe on the outcome.

bever70 likes this.
  5. bever70

bever70 Let No-one Live Rent Free in Your Head!

They look great !

Sta11ker and sturgus like this.
  6. Optimize

Optimize Forum Resident

Great!
    I just thinking of the technical aspect of the difference between with or without the surface material.
    The thoughts goes like this. That the harder surface material will reflect the higher frequencies but if they were not there they would not be reflected (yes I know there is absorption graphs on the homepage).

But then will they be more or less beneficial to use at first reflection points?
    When we then select a more narrow frequency band. Not the bass as usual but now also not the highs. :confused:

(My assumption is that "all" (=as wide frequency range as possible) should not be allowed to reflect back from the first reflection points because we want no reflections at all from there)

Last edited: Apr 25, 2019
    Sta11ker, timind and bever70 like this.
  7. Blowby

Blowby Static lp

I placed an order from ua_acustics as well. Transport says on the way to the US as of Friday, and should be here this week I hope. I ordered a few different types (12 panels and 6 bass traps total) for first reflection, wall behind the listening position and bass traps for the corners behind speakers. I will start removing my mock up absorption pieces and replace with the UA panels step by step and test the difference.

Sta11ker and Helom like this.
  8. crazy eights

crazy eights Truckstop Lovechild

i am very interested in learning how everyone feels about the ua acoustic panels if they use them , they seem very affordable for my tight audio budget, might be a better less expensive solution than building my own

Helom and Sta11ker like this.
  9. Blowby

Blowby Static lp

Prices were very affordable even with the $147.00 shipping cost from the Ukraine.

[​IMG]

Sta11ker and crazy eights like this.
  10. Sta11ker

Sta11ker Active Member

I come to you with news, good and "could be better".
    The positive thing is that the parcel with panels got in 12 days and I got it.

Large, but not heavy.
    And now let us sigh ...

4 panels were damaged from one corner.
    [​IMG]

and the other four came intact
    [​IMG]

Told the manufacturer about the trouble with the parcel.
    They promised to send a new quartet within 2 days.
    This makes me happy.
    I will wait...)

It remains to hear whether there is a result.
    [​IMG]
    I will write about the results later.
    Have a nice day.)

Helom likes this.
  11. bever70

bever70 Let No-one Live Rent Free in Your Head!

I like the look of them but I doubt they will change much to the sound, as most of the surface will just be reflecting sound (the wood), I mean the foam behind the wood does nothing for the sound or am I missing something here ?

The Pinhead likes this.
  12. Blowby

Blowby Static lp

Good news and bad as well. Bass traps came in and the panels are still in transit. I set them up and have the bass dialed in now.

[​IMG]

5 out of 6 were damaged. Contacted UA and they said they will send a new batch. He also said wait for the other panels to arrive, any damage and he can replace as needed.

[​IMG]

Sta11ker likes this.
  13. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

Those pictures will hurt this company, at least around here I imagine. I know I wouldn't risk shipping from Europe to the USA, not with those images in my head!;) Perhaps an alternative would be GIK Acoustics. Looks like they offer similar products and they're based outta Atlanta, GA!

14. Helom

Helom Forum member Thread Starter

Bummer about the shipping damage. Hopefully they'll use better packaging materials for the replacements.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if the improper handling occurred on this side of the pond.

George P likes this.
  15. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

Doesn't matter where it happened. It's on the manufacturer to make sure the product arrives in perfect condition. I ran a lighting company for many years. Whenever we introduced a new product, we'd pack it, literally toss it around the plant, and THAN we'd ship it cross-country and back. We called it the UPS Stress Test!;) Not only did we expect the unit to get back to us in pristine condition, we expected it! The packing dept. would get an earful if it didn't!

Strat-Mangler likes this.
  16. Blowby

Blowby Static lp

I didn’t take a picture of the packaging but they packed the bass traps face to face and a foam strip around the cosmetic edge of the two traps. Then stacked three tall and wrapped in heavy dark plastic, like trash bag material. If only they slid this into a box the problem would not happen. I feel boxes stack easily with the load over the entire side. Without the box covering their product I assume the impact of another box thrown on top lands on individual corners and edges (smaller surface area) and can’t withstand the impact.

bever70 likes this.
  17. murphythecat

murphythecat https://www.last.fm/user/murphythecat

these are obviously not made to be placed at the early reflection

bever70 and Optimize like this.
  18. Sounds Good

Sounds Good Active Member

I just placed an order with UA Acoustics for 8 traps and 12 panels in MDF. Will let you know what happens.
    Total was $368 for panels + $155 USD for shipping.
    Looking at those photos I think maybe I should have ordered the plastic instead as the MDF seems rather fragile.

Sta11ker and Fishoutofwater like this.
  19. Sounds Good

Sounds Good Active Member

The panels arrived in three packages. Shipping time to USA was two weeks. The majority (75%) of the panels arrived damaged. The MDF wood is very fragile and prove to damage even with just normal handling not to mention the rigors of shipping international. The plastic may be sturdier.
    I have photos to share but cannot upload them....How do you post photos?

20. George P

George P Notable Member

Man that sucks! What is up with this company?

21. Blowby

Blowby Static lp

My replacement bass traps should be in midweek. Hope they packed them better this time.

22. Sta11ker

Sta11ker Active Member

A week ago, I received a new batch of acoustic panels instead of damaged ones.
    This time the packaging was smarter. The corners are laid, and the partitions between the panels are noticeably larger in size, which saved the shipment.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

All intact)
    [​IMG]

The other day I will install and test them. :)

Helom, Strat-Mangler and The Pinhead like this.
  23. Blowby

Blowby Static lp

Replacement bass traps came today and are in absolutely perfect condition. The packaging was reinforced with a layer of cardboard around the padded internal packaging.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Highly recommend and very successful using UA-Acoustics products in my sound room.

Helom, Sta11ker and Strat-Mangler like this.
  24. JustGotPaid

JustGotPaid Forum Resident

Nice Scooby!

25. Helom

Helom Forum member Thread Starter

Good to see they corrected their packaging deficiencies.

Sta11ker, Strat-Mangler and George P like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.