New Springsteen Album "Western Stars" June 14*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by FingerPickin'Triumph, Apr 22, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

Indeed Elvis did, and so did one of Bruce Springsteen's other all time favorite singers, Charlie Rich, who is mentioned in that great article on Bruce's new song in NPR.

2. musicaner

musicaner Forum Resident

I love Charlie Rich.

NPR robbed my vibe.

SteveFff and RSteven like this.
  3. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

I call Charlie Rich the greatest singer/songwriter/musician that almost nobody has ever heard about, but both Elvis Presley and Bruce admired him a great deal.

J_D__ and ralphb like this.
  4. musicaner

musicaner Forum Resident

I love Charlie Rich, he goes back to Sun Records, but this is new that Bruce is into him.

RSteven likes this.
  5. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

In his 2012 South by Southwest keynote, Springsteen actually identified himself as a Rich fan, and even sang a few lines from the singer's fantastic version of "Life Has Its Little Ups and Downs." There is also a mention of Rich in this article in Rolling Stone on Springsteen's greatest influences, and musicians are not exclusive to the list:

The Ties That Bind: Bruce Springsteen's 25 Biggest Heroes – Rolling ...

https://www.rollingstone.com/.../the-ties-that-bind-bruce-springsteens-25-biggest-heroes-...

Last edited: Apr 29, 2019
  6. ralphb

ralphb "First they came for..."

Rich is the best all around musician/singer to come out of Sun Records and I'll stand on Bob Dylan's coffee table in my motorcycle boots and say that.

7. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

I believe that legendary Sun Records producer Sam Phillips would stand with you on that table as well. Phillips has basically gone on record as saying that Rich was the most talented all around musician that he ever worked with or at the very minimum had the ability to rival Elvis Presley with his sheer all around talent.

ralphb likes this.
  8. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

Indeed. I lived at the Honky Tonks. Even had my breakfast there. Just wonderful. Everyone who loves live music should go to Nashville.

And I like the new song. First time since 2007 that I look forward to a Springsteen record

Dr. Zoom and RSteven like this.
  9. maccawings

maccawings Senior Member

Nashville is a great city to visit as is Memphis!! Great music cities

10. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

Both cities are musically rich and each has its own unique vibe. I have taken two trips to visit both cities and I am planning a third one soon.

The MEZ and budwhite like this.
  11. budwhite

I did Memphis on that same trip. Except for Graceland and Sun Studio, I spent all my time on Beale St.

RSteven, The MEZ and maccawings like this.
  12. Girlpower

Girlpower Senior Member

'Kinda mournful, regretful, but still a little hopeful' is a great and precise description of at least half of his catalogue.

13. babyblue

babyblue Patches Pal!

Writer Peter Guralnick would probably agree too. His writing made me appreciate Rich's talents all the more.

d.r.cook, boe, ralphb and 1 other person like this.
  14. budwhite

Charlie Rich is a truly fantastic singer. Please check him out!

I didn't know that Springsteen liked him, good to hear.

RSteven likes this.
  15. maccawings

maccawings Senior Member

You missed quite a bit then, Stax Museum, Rock n Soul Museum, Memphis Blues museum and how about the National Civil Rights Museum

But Beal St is fantastic!!

gabbleratchet7, RSteven and The MEZ like this.
  16. budwhite

Yes I know. But I only had two days in each city. I spent it on live music and brews.

RSteven and maccawings like this.
  17. ralphb

ralphb "First they came for..."

It was an article on Rich by Guralnick in CREEM that turned me on to him, probably 1972 or '73.

RSteven likes this.
  18. Dr. Zoom

Dr. Zoom Forum Resident

Guralnick is a great writer. Insightful, honest, and interesting. He is the bizzarro Dave Marsh.

19. DmitriKaramazov

DmitriKaramazov Senior Member

20. julotto

julotto Forum Resident

[​IMG]

21. musicaner

musicaner Forum Resident

i dont know about peter guralnick, i dont think i ever read his books. he may be a friend of Daves so
    that may be where Bruce got into Charlie Richie. maybe we will get a soliloquy from him on E Street radio soon.
    anyways, i really liked Behind Closed Doors,was just listening to it about a week or two ago. Several strong tracks.

RSteven likes this.
  22. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

Charlie Rich's Behind Closed Doors is a country-pop masterpiece and the first album I ever discovered that did not really have a weak song on it. Now, the thing to keep in mind is that Charlie Rich's recording catalogue is as diverse as Ray Charles in many ways. Another writer once called Charlie Rich "The missing link between Elvis Presley and Ray Charles," so if you do not like his country-pop stuff from the late sixties and early 70's, you just might like his soul stuff from his Smash Records period in the 60's. Peter Guralnick himself once said that Rich had a recording catalogue so vast from various labels that you could virtually "drown" in his music, because it was so deep and diverse.

23. GMfan87'

GMfan87' Forum Resident

Thanks for this, interesting , I will check it out. Good to discover new / old :) music to listen to .

RSteven likes this.
  24. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

I highly recommend The Essential Charlie Rich as a starting point as it has a vast cross section from all of his various recording labels that he recorded with over the years, including Sun Records, RCA/Groove, and Smash as well as his huge country-pop breakthrough period with producer Billy Sherrill while at Epic Records in the later years.

PepiJean, OptimisticGoat and GMfan87' like this.
  25. Syscrusher

Syscrusher Forum Resident

Thank you! Ah now that is the Bruce I love! I think maybe sometimes he tries to write FOR the E Street Band, and well most of the E Street stuff from the last 15 years bores me. But man the solo stuff is just stellar!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.