Woodstock 50 is officially **OFF**!*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Nomadicarchivist, Nov 29, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sixtieswerebest

sixtieswerebest Forum Resident

Well the festival is cancelled. I have to say it I am glad, the original was a happy accident that can't be recreated.

Their reasons stated in the article were pretty on point.

2. lc1995

lc1995 Forum Resident

Negative nancy alert

Nomadicarchivist likes this.
  3. sixtieswerebest

Truthful Tommy more like it.

4. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

Music Festivals are great ... any festival called Woodstock is almost certainly bound to fail, because the original (as wonderful as it was in many ways) was essentially a happy accident, that in some respects has been blown out of proportion.

5. Jack Lord

Jack Lord Forum Resident

I would like to know what exactly killed it. I am amazed they could not pull it off. After three previous festivals under the Woodstock name, I would think the learning curve ascended.

6. boggs

boggs Multichannel Machiavellian

The original is a moment in time that most likely will never happen again. Yea, a happy accident never to be repeated no matter how many plans to try to recapture that moment.

mark winstanley likes this.
  7. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident

the Fyre Festival effect.....investors now gun shy

8. sixtieswerebest

Now I'm wondering if all the people who are extremely disappointed will descend upon Bethel and it'll be another insane maybe not so happy accident but one thing Ringo will definitely have a bigger audience than he ever thought he'd have lol

9. I got lambasted for this, but it seems as if my prayers were answered. :whistle:

100,000 people simultaneously downloading apps? No thank you.

10. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident

you're a bummer, man

11. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

Apparently Michael Lang is denying the fest is cancelled and saying they dont have the legal right to cancel it and that the bands have already been paid, and nobody had told the bands it was cancelled per NYT, so this may be premature.

12. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

Live Nation and AEG were offered to pick up the slack for $20mil. Both declined.

13. Ha! Not really. I don't know, maybe. I mean, I'm a happy person, mostly (about as happy as most, I imagine). Perhaps my sense of humor doesn't quite come across online as it does in person. :)

All Down The Line likes this.
  14. Fastnbulbous

Fastnbulbous Doubleplus Ungood

Schadenfreude Floyd maybe?

15. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Whoever told you it was happy? I heard from many sources that it was a muddy messy nightmare, and not happy for many attendees. But that some good performances were captured raggedly on tape and a few more in film.

I guess it was better for those that avoided the brown acid.

16. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

Maybe the greed curve did also?

Jack Lord likes this.
  17. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

In 69' it was simultaneously that many downloading pants.

footlooseman and EVOLVIST like this.
  18. <recreating the spontaneous serendipity generated by a caprine orgy of promoter incompetence, yeah, that'll work

19. qwerty

qwerty A resident of the SH_Forums.

I saw Arlo Guthrie play last week in Melbourne, and he said the Woodstock 50th was going to be a free festival. Without having read the previous 22 pages of posts, I'm not sure that would be correct. Arlo didn't actually say if he was going to be performing. He did use the story to lead into a performance of "Coming into Los Angeles".

Edit/Update:
    It appears the Woodstock 50th has been cancelled: Woodstock 50 has been CANCELLED!

Last edited: Apr 30, 2019
  20. sixtieswerebest

I'm sure there was a lot of that. But I think. most people who went were glad they did in hindsight.

All Down The Line likes this.
  21. See, I'd be down for this. If they could guarantee me a show with as much doobage and booty as I could handle, I would be as completely uncivilized as the next contestant.

Don't give me the ghost of Woodstock, 50 years later, when nobody is going to wrap me in a muddy blanket and take my picture for the cover of Life magazine. The original might not have been as glamorous as we make it out to be in 2019, but you can't call it something that it's not, all the while desanitizing it with vegan ice cream tents and Rastafarian hats for 50-year old pencil pushers.

footlooseman likes this.
  22. Dondy

Dondy Forumaniac

Humm, if Rhino comes up with a 50 CD box for the 50th anniversary, I'd be more than consoled.
    Just my two-centish and likely brainy idea. Any info if Rhino might work on something like that? There would be more than enough room for improvement /expansion over their 40th anniversary 6 CD boxcd set.

footlooseman likes this.
  23. Benn Kempster

Benn Kempster Who else?

Yep - Lang put a post on his Facebook account saying that the finance had pulled out but someone else would be found.

Somebody may be about to take a "HUGE" bath........again.

24. sixtieswerebest

Just like Altamont. a last ditch to make it happen we all know the result of that.

25. cgw

cgw Forum Resident

The cancellation story was in our local paper this morning. Everyone says it is cancelled except Lang. I think everyone included some of the local authorities - not sure I don't have the paper here. (my local is not the same as Watkins Glen local - 1-1/2 hour away)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.