Survey: What Brand of Turntable Do You Use

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Tony Plachy, Oct 22, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jansson

Jansson Forum Resident

Nottingham analogue Dais
    Mörch dp 8 tone arm
    Lyra Delos pick up

Johnny Vinyl and Bubbamike like this.
  2. blowinblue

blowinblue Kind of not blue.

After re-reading my post near the top of page 32, it seems to come off as a bit harsh. I wasn't able to edit it. Instead of saying that "I harbor a moderate amount of contempt for the medium" I should have said, "I've been repeatedly disappointed by the medium." This is the underlying reason why I have little interest in upgrading my turntable, cartridge, or phono preamp.

I've read that a really expensive LP rig will lower groove noise, pops, and ticks. I believe that to a certain extent, but I'm not willing to spend the extra coin to verify that. And a $30,000 rig is not going to fix every problem inherent in a less than perfect pressing. Other pieces of my system will get an upgrade before any funds are spent on my vinyl setup. Having said all this, I truly enjoy many of my records. In spite of their imperfections they allow me to get lost in the music. I'll let myself out now. :sigh::)

M. M.

3. joefont

joefont Senior Member

Same here....very happy with it.....bought it for only $80 at garage sale.

4. chili555

chili555 Forum Resident

Michell Gyro SE/Audiomods Classic II/Hana SL

Linn Axis/Origin Live Silver Mk. II/Denon DL103R

5. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

A Thorens TD 160 Mk II for the last 2 or 3 months. I like it but think I'd prefer a great direct drive with pitch control. I'm never convinced the Thorens is running at quite the right speed!

Hendertuckie likes this.
  6. Trabik

Trabik Forum Resident

Denon DP-1200

I love my flying saucer!

HiFi Guy likes this.
  7. Davey

Davey NP: Hania Rani ~ Ghosts (2023 LP)

Can't you check it with a strobe or something? My later Thorens TD 320 does have speed adjustment (it uses a 2-phase motor controller board), but I haven't really noticed that it changes speed once adjusted. It's not controlled by the wall power frequency like yours, though. Of course if the record spindle hole isn't centered well (a pretty big problem nowadays), it doesn't matter how accurate your speed is, there will be pitch variations.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2019
    Man at C&A likes this.
  8. Larry I

Larry I Senior Member

Jansson,

I like your turntable setup. I helped with a setup of a Dais one time and I was impressed with how tight is the tolerance on machining--the platter is perfectly centered and does not wobble at all; once set in motion, the platter will spin freely in its bearing for a LONG time (evidence of very little friction). I also like the Moerch anisotropic arms, like the DP8 and DP9 (low mass in the vertical direction of movement, high mass in the horizontal plane of movement). These arms deliver a very strong bass response--deep and articulate. I am not that familiar with the Delos, but, I generally like Lyra cartridges (I own a Titan).

9. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

When I got it a few months ago it was way off! Changing the speed was ridiculously difficult too. I bought a new Thakker belt for it, recommended from this forum, and it sorted both problems out. It changes speed perfectly now. I'm sensitive to pitch and sometimes convince myself it's running slightly fast. I've counted the revolutions several times and all seems fine though. I think my initial experience with it has put doubt in my mind.

I'm welcome to suggestions of stylish looking direct drive turntables with pitch control though. Also, a question that some might find daft or naive, what does quartz controlled mean and involve? Thanks.

10. Davey

Davey NP: Hania Rani ~ Ghosts (2023 LP)

Quartz control just means the speed control circuit uses a quartz oscillator as the reference frequency to lock onto. Earlier motor control systems used a less stable oscillator for a frequency reference, running at a much lower frequency, typically called a servo control motor, and mostly analog-based. These are typified by having speed adjustment knobs for setting the 33 and 45 RPM speed potentiometers. The quartz control systems brought in more modern digital techniques with all sorts of sensor and feedback methods employed, some good and some maybe not so good for sound quality, and still debated today (some of the early quartz lock models actually had a defeat switch).

Last edited: Apr 29, 2019
  11. HankM

HankM Senior Member

Linn LP12 recently upgraded with Cirkus/Kore/Trampoline 2

Clayton93 and JNTEX like this.
  12. lazydawg58

lazydawg58 Know enough to know how much I don't know

I haven't read through this whole thread but I'm sure most of you guys are heavy into the audiophile equipment so I know I'm out of my depth. I have a Dual 1219 and recently picked up a 1019 for $10 and got it serviced, new stylus for $100. I really like the idler drive and available 78 speed setting. The Germans really seemed to build a solid turntable back then. It is I'm sure very pedestrian compared to the stuff you guys use but it really works well for my limited budget.

GKH, Fender Relic, HankM and 5 others like this.
  13. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

Update: Add Fairchild 412-1 and Miracord 50HII, remove Pioneer.

14. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

Those are two great tables, so you're not out of your depth at all.

lazydawg58 likes this.
  15. Radio

Radio Forum Resident

How do you like the Miracord?

16. Radio

Radio Forum Resident

Dual 1219 and Hitachi HT40S.

lazydawg58 likes this.
  17. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

A lot. More then the Dual, less then the Garrard. But I could easily live with it for the rest of my life. Probably the least finicky table I've ever encountered.

Radio likes this.
  18. Don Szymansky

Don Szymansky Active Member

Sony PS-T2 ca. 1978

19. nick urfe

nick urfe Active Member

Rega RP6, for six years now. Came with Exact cartridge. Now experimenting with barely used Linn K9 (and no shims).

20. Thomas_A

Thomas_A Forum Resident

Linn Axis
    Moerch UP-4 tonearm
    Shure V15Vx with JICO SAS/boron cartridge

21. Dellarigg

Dellarigg Forum Resident

Rega RP3, old type.

Can't seem to find a cartridge I like, though. Tried an At440mlb, but that brought out too much surface noise. Went for the Nagaoka MP-110, but that didn't really improve matters much. Currently on the stock Rega Carbon, which is good for surface noise but not much else. I'm thinking I'll get a Nag MP-100 stylus and put it on the MP-110 cart, see what that does.

[​IMG]

22. Newton John

Newton John Forum Resident

Linn LP12 Klimax on Mana stand

A couple of years ago, I considered selling it and all my vinyl to raise cash for upgrades. I'd become jaded by the bad state of some of the vinyl I'd bought before I realised that "very good++" is record vendors' speak for rubbish. Friends who'd sold their turntables told me I'd regret it, later - baby and bathwater. I have come to the conclusion that they were right because I am enjoying vinyl more than ever.

Clayton93, JNTEX and 33na3rd like this.
  23. Fiddlefye

Fiddlefye Forum Resident

I've got a few tables going, belt, idler and DD, but the main one now is this Denon DP-80. This is the current state of things.
    [​IMG]DSC_3564 by fiddlefye, on Flickr

24. cporcp

cporcp Forum Resident

Nottingham Spacedeck.

25. hbucker

hbucker Forum Resident

JVC & U-Turn

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.