Classical Corner Classical Music Corner

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, May 29, 2015.

1. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

One day I will be retired and have all the time in the world for listening. :waiting:

2. Jazzicalit

Jazzicalit In the Tradition

Great version! ;)

George P likes this.
  3. George P

[​IMG]

Now enjoying a first spin of this CD.

4. MikeF63

MikeF63 Forum Resident

I couldn't agree more. And the later quartets are written generally with more economy - some of those early ones are about the longest quartets I can recall hearing.

Marzz likes this.
  5. Marzz

Marzz Forum Resident

Agreed and and although rarely mentioned I think his Lieder is fine as well. Have you heard any? For example this Bernarda Fink (with Roger Vignoles) CD on harmonia mundi is wonderful!

https://www.amazon.com/Dvorak-Lieder-Antonin/dp/B0001WECMY

6. Marzz

Marzz Forum Resident

That's an excellent set George! I agree with @drh above in that "later tends to be better", especially with the String Quartets. In fact, the Panocha Quartet began recording these same string quartets again (starting in 2002), this time for the Camerata label but so far have only chosen qts the later quartets, 8 - 14.
    Speaking of the "American" op.96, the Panocha have recorded this at least 4 times, 3 of them with Supraphon! Not a radical difference between them, imo.

Was going to play something else, but instead now listening to CD6 of this set, with String Quartets 10 ("Slavonic") & 11.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2019
    George P likes this.
  7. drh

drh Talking Machine

...but no money to buy records. :sigh:

;)

8. drh

drh Talking Machine

As long as we are on the subject of Dvorak string quartets, here's a little oddity. Edison was late to the electric recording game, just as with the disk game before it. Eventually Edison did issue a few multi-record sets of complete classical works on electrical diamond discs. The first of these was the Schumann Piano Quintet with E. Robert Schmitz and the Philharmonic String Quartet of New York. The second was the Dvorak "American" quartet, again performed by the Philharmonic String Quartet of New York. By its name that sounds like a studio or pickup group, but it actually was a recognized, established quartet in the concert hall.

The other such sets were the Haydn op. 33-3 quartet (the one known as "The Bird") performed--surprisingly!--by the Roth Qtt. and, most extensive at 4 records, 8 sides, the Schubert first piano trio performed by The New York Trio. If you thought conventional 78 RPM sets were cumbersome, try one made up of four discs, each 1/4 inch thick. A whole inch of shelf space for a single Haydn quartet!

fitzrik, Wes H, George P and 3 others like this.
  9. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

Wow I did not know that CD existed. I need to hear those performances. I have grown to really like the Khachaturian VC.

George P likes this.
  10. drh

drh Talking Machine

Ooops--should have said, for a single Schubert trio. The Haydn quartet takes up only half an inch.... :oops:

crispi likes this.
  11. George P

I recently found out that the Sibelius VC was written for Oistrakh.

12. royzak2000

royzak2000 Senior Member

13. royzak2000

royzak2000 Senior Member

14. royzak2000

royzak2000 Senior Member

15. royzak2000

royzak2000 Senior Member

Don't pick on me this is amazing.
    [​IMG]

16. HenryFly

HenryFly Forum Resident

That famous 15 sec long transition between the third and the final movement that I now realise calls out for the best stereo equipment is going to keep me engrossed for the rest of this short May Day holiday period after I upgraded to headphones with higher impedance to match the technical specs of the hardware I had been using with less powerful cans.

Marzz likes this.
  17. royzak2000

royzak2000 Senior Member

18. royzak2000

royzak2000 Senior Member

19. Casagrande

Casagrande Forum Resident

Funny, I just heard that work for the first time today (the Boston/Ozawa recording). Tuneful stuff alright. I always imagined Mephisto as having a rather high-pitched voice though and not as a bass.

20. Casagrande

Casagrande Forum Resident

Timeless masterpieces of course, but I don't really like The Lindsays' recordings. They sound mannered to me, with ritardandos and accents where they shouldn't be. The Angeles Quartet are wonderful in op. 76, and so are the Tokyo Quartet (if only they were recorded in better sound!).

21. royzak2000

royzak2000 Senior Member

A baritone on this a bass on Colin Davis,

22. drh

drh Talking Machine

No picking here--it's a score of rare beauties. Gounod's "King of Thule" aria is no slouch, but after Berlioz it sounds kinda square. And so it goes. I don't know this recording, but Charles Munch led a fine performance of this work with the Boston SO, among the first stereo recordings made by RCA (but, I think, not released in that form for some years afterward; it initially appeared in mono). Eliahu Inbal is one of those names that have been around forever but don't seem to get a lot of attention. I feel an eternal debt of gratitude to him for (on radio) giving me my introduction to Schubert's 3d Sym., to this day a score I love, when I was in collage, all the way back in the late 1970s.

If it's a high-voiced Mephisto you want, you can find one in Schnittke's Historia von D. Johann Fausten. (https://www.amazon.com/Schnittke-Historia-Von-Johann-Fausten/dp/B000003G0S). Note that the "tuneful" quotient here is, shall we say, rather less than that in the various 19th c. adaptations of the Faust legend.

Marzz and royzak2000 like this.
  23. drh

drh Talking Machine

Oh, by the way, to return to the Berlioz Damnation of Faust for a moment, here's something you might not expect: there exists a recording of Wilhelm Furtwangler, of all people, leading a performance of the work on August 26, 1950 (concert from the Lucerne Festival), in German with a cast including Elisabeth Schwarzkopf as Marguerite. Very slow tempos, and to be honest I've always thought translating French into German was something of a disaster; moreover, on the scale of low to high fidelity, it languishes somewhere around "non" (at least, in my issue on Archipel). Still, worth a hearing, at least.

Last edited: May 1, 2019
    royzak2000 likes this.
  24. drh

drh Talking Machine

New acquisitions dept.: Today's mail brought me a four-record 78 RPM set of Rachmaninoff's cello sonata performed by Marcel Hubert (vlc.) and Shura Cherkassky (pno.). As far as I can recall, that's the only time I've ever seen Cherkassky's name associated with a chamber music piece. Can anybody here think of any others? Yes, I'm being lazy here; I know I should start checking on the web and in Wikipedia and whatnot, but it's late, and....:yawn:

George P likes this.
  25. crispi

crispi Vinyl Archaeologist

That sentence left me breathless.

sambamaster, fitzrik and HenryFly like this.