Madonna: Madame X - album released 14th June 2019

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bink, Apr 30, 2019.

1. Bink

Bink Forum Resident Thread Starter

As some people may know, I previously started a thread for Madonna's forthcoming album Madame X (her 15th if you count I'm Breathless). Indeed that thread was started long before we knew the name of the album. Unfortunately that thread was closed recently due to a number of offensive comments.

So this is our second attempt at having a sensible conversation about Madame X. Please do not ruin this thread with controversial or offensive opinions regarding, race, sexuality or politics. I have been advised by the moderation team that any such posts will incur warnings that could lead to thread bans or other reductions in forum posting privileges.

So let's keep this about the music, performances and videos. At the time of writing the first single Medellin has been released and if I understand correctly, a handful of other songs will be released before the album arrives.

What are your thoughts about the first single, what are your hopes and expectations about the album?

2. Elliottmarx

Elliottmarx Always in the mood for Burt Bacharach

I love the quiet, gentle production of the first song. She sounds great, but I wish there was a bit more melody to lift the production. Despite several listens, I am challenged when trying to recall a line to sing. I'm looking forward to hearing more from Madame X, and wonder what direction the tour will take. I'm also interested in seeing the five million dollar performance at Billboard Awards.

Bink likes this.
  3. Bink

Bink Forum Resident Thread Starter

Yeah I have to admit I am a little ambivalent about the single but it is growing on me.

I am also pleasantly surprised that the media seemed to be getting behind it. In some cases the media have been more enthusiastic about it than some fans!

4. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

The AT on Medellin I find highly annoying, (IMO) ruins a good lead off single.
    If the whole album uses it i'll probably pass on a purchase. Sucks as I enjoy her music.

Veggie Boy and Man at C&A like this.
  5. pghmusiclover

pghmusiclover Senior Member

As I wrote in another thread: And I don't get the negativity for the new single. I think it's rather catchy and seems to be a good introduction to what seems like an interesting project. The criticism for the auto-tune really bugs me: artists like Bon Iver or James Blake use it with critical accolades, so I think Madonna's use of it is entirely appropriate and works well within the song.

Man at C&A likes this.
  6. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

Yes, it sounds like Madonna recorded her vocal singing into a bucket in the next room to where the rest of the track was being put together.:D

Still don’t like the song. The video is a huge, extravagant affair that doesn’t fit the simple, rather nondescript music.

7. Bobby Morrow

But what makes you think we like the autotune on those either?!

8. c-eling

I just thinks it's a fad that's 20 years past it's death date... She doesn't need it. Now if it was vocoder'd i'd be all over it :laugh:

BDC, sunspot42, GoodKitty and 4 others like this.
  9. pghmusiclover

SOME people like the studio effect when some artists use it, while not when others do. I find it's a matter of "artistic snobbery".

10. c-eling

Bobby it is nice seeing some of that Latin/Miami style influence that we saw in the mid to late 80's that was big in the charts.

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  11. Bobby Morrow

I suppose, but the song is so poor it doesn’t really matter what ‘influences’ it has on it..

GoodKitty and sunspot42 like this.
  12. c-eling

:laugh:
    Hey this is a compliment from someone who thinks Front Line Assembly's latest should be album of the year!, gimme some slack here :D

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  13. Izozeles

Izozeles Pushing my limits

The thing is she’s trying to do what most of the big pop artists have been doing for the last year or so. Unfortunately, unlike what was her style, she’s now late to the party and her eye for a catchy hook looks like a thing of the past .

sunspot42 and black sheriff like this.
  14. Jmac1979

Jmac1979 Forum Resident

I initially strongly disliked Medellin, but its really grown on me. I spent last weekend visiting my best friend (who is also a huge Madonna fan) and we were driving around blasting the song

15. ralphb

ralphb "First they came for..."

Definitely gets better with every play. I love it.

pghmusiclover likes this.
  16. filip_kbh

filip_kbh Forum Resident

Love it. Most played song on Radio 2 this week. Looking forward to seeing the live performance tomorrow on Billboard awards.

Bink likes this.
  17. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

It's a nice smooth song, has a nice, mellow vibe, but it's not my thing.:shrug: I hope I listened to the right song.

18. aseriesofsneaks

aseriesofsneaks Forum Resident

I'm still not feeling "Medellin", but am sure there will be other songs on the album that I will enjoy. Another song, "I Rise", is supposed to be available on Friday and is reportedly a ballad.

DesertHermit, Bink and Elliottmarx like this.
  19. DesertHermit

DesertHermit Now an UrbanHermit

As I said in the previous thread, it doesn’t work for me either. I find it boring and a bit uninspired but am always prepared to give a Madonna album a try and tend to not judge it by the strength of the first “single”. Besides, these days these releases are more teasers than singles, aren’t they? I felt Rebel Heart was a strong release with some great tracks but it was let down by some very ordinary filler. I think it would have made a great 10 track album. I am hoping Madame X will be tighter but the different versions bug me...what’s wrong with just releasing ONE version of an album? Perhaps I’m just too old but it seems silly to me.

20. Lemon Curry

Lemon Curry (A) Face In The Crowd

It's not a bad production at all, but the autotune is like nails scratching on a chalkboard. To me, anyway.

It also will trigger the thought in the listener that she can't sing anymore, and needed the autotune. In that sense the choice to use it backfired.

I'd like to think there's going to be some honest material on the album that pulls us away from thinking about age and ability and towards just enjoying hearing a talented lady perform great songs.

tin ears likes this.
  21. pghmusiclover

So now that the new Bruce Springsteen is being released on the same date, who will get the #1 debut on the Billboard charts? Thoughts?

Fullbug likes this.
  22. Bobby Morrow

Yes, there’s great emphasis on Madame X, who’s a nun, a prostitute, a hairdresser, a baker, a leprechaun etc, but it’s to be hoped that in the ‘creation’ of this character she also managed to cobble together a few decent songs too...

Last edited: May 1, 2019
  23. SJP

SJP Forum Resident

Just checked out the song/video for the first time. I think it has a catchy enough hook buried in there. I kind of like it. Certainly better than anything from her last album which did very little for me.

As for autotune, I don't like it and will never defend its use. I've commented before where an artist has used it where it didn't annoy me (Bono on U2's last album) but never like "wow, what a great effect". I don't care who uses it.

Gag.

On Medellin, I detected the dreaded auto tune right out of the gate and one of two things happened. Either she phased it out at some point early in the song or I became desensitized to it and wasn't hearing the autotune so up front.

My final opinion after one listen, a notch below top tier Madonna.

24. Bobby Morrow

Last night’s Billboard Music Awards performance.

Pretty good. Has to be said Madonna is in great shape.

David G., SJP, pghmusiclover and 2 others like this.
  25. bob60

bob60 Forum Resident

I agree it was a great performance and Madge looked great.
    But my god that Maluma is a hot guy, he must surely be a pin up/heartthrob or whatever the young generation call them these days. Is it cool to still say young generation?