Any Pro Wrestling Fans Here? V2.0

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by sirmikael, Apr 28, 2011.

1. The MEZ

The MEZ Forum Resident

That link looks great thanks

905 likes this.
  2. The MEZ

The MEZ Forum Resident

I remember WWF was on every Saturday night at midnight. I'd watch Love Boat followed by Fantasy Island and then the dreaded OTB Trotters horse racing preceded Wrestling 11-midnight. Sometimes I' d fall asleep.

905, jmobrien68 and RayS like this.
  3. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

Yup, WWWF ran opposite SNL when it first came on the air. I would watch the first half hour of SNL and then flip over. WWWF also had a show on UHF in Spanish with different matches - I’d watch that sometimes despite the language barrier.

Matthew Tate and The MEZ like this.
  4. jmobrien68

jmobrien68 Forum Resident

Yes! You had to watch it at midnight on WWOR channel 9 because "that was when they were gonna show the blood"... or so we all wanted to believe!

RayS and The MEZ like this.
  5. The MEZ

The MEZ Forum Resident

Exactly!

6. RayS

But they wouldn’t show Stan Stasiak’s heart punch. They would put a black box on the screen (pre video distortion days)!

Matthew Tate and The MEZ like this.
  7. The MEZ

The MEZ Forum Resident

Some more I remember Tony Garea and Larry Zybisko, Dino Bravo, Big John Studd, Andre The Giant, Pedro Morales, Big Cat Ernie Ladd, Haystacks Calhoun, Hacksaw Jim Duggan, The Wild Samaons, Pat Patrerson, Stan The Man Stasiak......

8. sons of nothing

sons of nothing Forum Resident

I saw tons of matches as well. Classic stuff back in Highland, and Midlothian. Some matches were super sick, and you had to get out of the way real quick. I recall one fans bring the weapons when there was a kiddie pool filled with rubbing alcohol. The lighttube house. The Ted Petty tourney was usually great. The crowd was usually thin by time they went to Joliet. I think some of the best matches they had were in Highland. Good crowds there as well. Odds are we ran into each other a few times.

9. jmobrien68

I remember the big black X across the screen when a Black Jack (not sure if it was Mulligan or Lanza) used the brain claw.

RayS likes this.
  10. jimbutsu

jimbutsu WATCH YÖUR STEPPE

How about the big "CENSORED" red X when Ron Bass used his spurs on Brutus Beefcake?

Or better still, when Earthquake squashed Damian and rather than showing it on replays (though they played it straight through on some broadcasts), they'd cut away to Sean Mooney making horrified faces...

Sammy Banderas, 905, blutiga and 2 others like this.
  11. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

In both cases to either mask a manly blade job, or to make a trickle seem like one. Remember that the "claw" was capable of making you bleed. Somehow. We call it the head massage of doom. A hold that is rarely over these days.

Sammy Banderas and Matthew Tate like this.
  12. jmobrien68

I loved the heart punch as a finisher and how Stasiak would have to revive his opponent after it after arguing with the official about it.

RayS likes this.
  13. RayS

He alone held the knowledge of revival. :) At his heelish whim scores of jobbers could be in comas for weeks on end.

14. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

Oh yeah, remember how after you used a sleeper as a finisher you had to wake him up? Usually with a nice neck massage and a slap on the back of the neck to welcome you back!:D

15. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

Believe it or not at one time these were all finishers.
    The standing drop kick
    The flying drop kick
    the body slam
    the bear hug
    the abdominal stretch
    the suplex
    and lots of others that we see a hundred times now on every card.

16. blutiga

blutiga Forum Resident

We had our own Wrestling TV show here in Australia that ran through the 70s. It was a huge part of local culture over here at the time.. The shows would build up to the big show at our local indoor stadium Festival Hall most Saturday Nights. We had our own coterie of local Baby Face heroes who would often be pitted against the big star heels from the US circuits. I remember Abdullah The Butcher, Terry Funk and King Curtis plus many others doing big runs out here.
    Hasytacks Calhoun with his lucky horse shoe was here and as a kid I was fascinated by him. They promoted him as the guy who broke the ring with the Big Splash :D Then there was Ox Baker with the Heart Punch. That was scary :D
    I'll never forget the first appearances over here of Andre. They hyped it up before he got here with the footage from I Like To Hurt People with Andre in the tiny car :)
    I got to see him at Festival Hall with my dad (who thought it was all real) and various other family members.
    One interesting thing I remember from the time was a referee angle where the referee is transitioned into a wrestler in a match to team up with the main faces in a 3 man a team tag match. I saw this one live as well. This was a decade before the Danny Davis stuff on WWF, which I read at the time was considered the first referee into wrestler angle, and the Aussie guy wore the same outfit as Danny Davis did. I always wondered about that.
    When we got WWF on TV over here in the early Eighties I found I knew lots of the veteran wrestlers from their time on Australian TV.

RayS and FourWalledWorld like this.
  17. calgary669

calgary669 Forum Resident

What does everyone think of Bray Wyatt’s latest gimmick, Firefly House?

I find it totally refreshing in today’s environment! It will be interesting to see how he transitions from the vignettes to in-ring action.

18. jmobrien68

Love it way more than I thought I would... but they will find a way to screw it up.

Ramblin' Rabbit... LMAO!

Loved the video Reby Hardy posted after RAW of King Maxel sharing the 'word of the day'!

19. FourWalledWorld

FourWalledWorld Forum Resident

Wyatt is one of the few current-day names that I quite enjoy. I'm hoping this new gimmick kick-starts him again.

Sammy Banderas and Matthew Tate like this.
  20. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

First of all Australia was always part of any wrestlers tour to Japan. Usually started with a few weeks in Hawaii. So yeah, you got the best of the best coming through.
    Secondly, Aussies have always been a special breed of wrestlers and every territory seemed to have one or two. We here in Detroit had one of the greatest. Fabulous Kangaroo Al Costello who practically invented tag team wrestling as we know it today. Australian rules.

RayS and blutiga like this.
  21. blutiga

blutiga Forum Resident

I didn't realise that Japan was a big reason we got so many stars coming through in those days. That makes sense then.It was a magic time. I just remembered one of my favourites was Mark Lewin.
    I'm wondering if Giant Baba or Antonio Inoki wrestled over here back then, because when I got a bit older and started following Wrestling again, I felt like I remembered them and can't imagine I would if they didn't wrestle here during that time. I never saw Al Costello that I remember, but found out about him later on. Great stuff!!!

JamieC likes this.
  22. RayS

Yes, I'm old enough to remember "Australian Rules". :)

blutiga likes this.
  23. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

We call them standard tag team rules these days. Including the corner rope.

blutiga likes this.
  24. RayS

If you didn't have a corner rope, what would the heel on the apron strangle his opponent with when the ref is looking the other way?

blutiga, jimbutsu, MikeInFla and 2 others like this.
  25. AleYeah

AleYeah Forum Resident

Man, I miss old school tag team wrestling. No WWF for me til SNME came along, but I grew up with a steady diet of masterful tag teams like Tully and Arn and the Expresses (Midnight and RnR). I remember getting in trouble with my mom when I screamed so loud at the RnR Express beating the evil Russians for the NWA titles- on free TV!- that she thought I was seriously hurt.