Chris Robinson's new Black Crowes project

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by cable hogue, Nov 13, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

It straight-up rocks. I signed up for "The most rock n' roll rock n' roll band in the world," not Chris trying to be the second coming of The Band. (And I love some jam bands, but never much cared for TBC as one)

JeffHunt likes this.
  2. attym

attym Forum Resident

Ive always seen Adam as a 'Chris' guy and stood by him for many projects. Curious what happened.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  3. TSWisla

TSWisla Forum Resident

How can you be certain? Reliable source?

Matthew Tate likes this.
  4. jmorton

jmorton Forum Resident

Always thought they went a bit too far into the jamming aspects 07-10 with Luther. I mean, the concerts were still enjoyable but way too jammy. The Black Crowes were a rock band that Jams rather than a Jam Band who rocks. And they went a bit far into the latter during that era.

JeffHunt, Haggis Wampovich and walrus like this.
  5. Bob Lamonta

Bob Lamonta Forum Resident

Well, I'm gonna look like a jerk if I'm wrong, but I was dumb enough to open my mouth, so I gotta own it. I asked someone who is very close to Adam. He talked to Adam personally. FWIW, my middle-man is someone who doesn't care about any of this, so he just said, "Oh, I thought everyone knew that already." Which was kinda funny.

If I'm wrong, I'll own it. And I don't like being that guy on the internet claiming inside scoops and all that. But the person I asked would know and has zero reason to lie to me. Also, all other internet signs do seem to definitively point to Adam's exit. It didn't take long for them to "Sven" him out of their Facebook photo advertising an upcoming show!

Graham likes this.
  6. Graham

Graham Senior Member

Classic! That's exactly what I thought too.

7. Bob Lamonta

Also, doesn't it make sense that CR would have nuke'd CRB by now? If all this proves a hoax, I'll happily eat crow (pun fully intended), but it really should't be a surprise if CR has burned a bridge now with Adam (and apparently Neal?). CR's stock in trade in burning bridges and Thanos finger snaps. This is par for the course!

8. Michael H Griffin Jr

Michael H Griffin Jr Well-Known Member

I would love Magpie if they had a different lead singer. To me , he is the weak link. Especially when they cover a Black Crowes song

9. TSWisla

TSWisla Forum Resident

This is precisely how I feel. I really tried/wanted to like John, but especially on Crowes covers, he just doesn’t cut it.

Matthew Tate and twicks like this.
  10. Gammondorf

Gammondorf Forum Resident

A reunion fueled by spite and poverty is the worst-case scenario but here we are again. Get ready for D-list Crowes and separate buses.

11. Graham

Graham Senior Member

Nobody can cut it singing Crowes covers except Chris. John does a decent job, just lacks the charisma.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  12. jmorton

jmorton Forum Resident

I don't mind John Hogg. As you pointed out he really lacks any sort of charisma. He is definitely a team player however, which is probably why Rich and Marc like him so much ... no competing ego. Hogg did well on the Magpie songs so after HW2 comes out I'm looking forward to a tour with just a smattering of Crowes songs but mostly original material.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  13. Dreaddazzman

Dreaddazzman Forum Resident

Circles Around the Sun just played a show a couple nights ago, so seems like Adam and Neal are still on good terms (or at least good enough to honor playing shows they had scheduled.)

Last edited: Apr 30, 2019
    budwhite likes this.
  14. Wiserforthetime

Wiserforthetime Forum Resident

And how is it you know this? Where was it reported?

15. Bob Lamonta

I responded earlier. Post 1955. I shouldn't have said anything to begin with, but I did. If I'm wrong. I'll admit it. But I do not thing I'm wrong.

Matthew Tate and Dreaddazzman like this.
  16. Bob Lamonta

I'll say I really like BYS as well. It is what it is. No pretense. I was in college when it came out, and even though I looooooved TSAOC (still do!), I really enjoyed BYS as well. I get all the criticisms against it. But it's really fun in the summer with the windows down.

17. walrus

I honestly don't get the criticisms, other than maybe Kevin Shirley's production which is a bit slick, I'll be the first to admit. But really no more slick than SYMM, to me. But the songs were rockin', the choruses big and well-written, and the songs freed of some of the indulgences they'd embraced on the previous couple records (and especially the shows). Chris delivered some of his best vocals as well. Would I want every album to sound like that? Probably not. But as they got super mellow during the reunion phase, I really long for that real rock n' roll Crowes sound again. No one is doing that kind of thing anymore at the musicianship level that they were.

18. Bob Lamonta

Agreed. To me the Holy Trinity is indisputable. Their legacy is and forever shall be SHAMC / Amorica / TSAOC (and the ones they shelved in that period!). But I'd rather listen to BYS over Warpaint or BTF/UTF, not because the latter are bad per se, but like you said, they cover ground that other artists do well (and better). But in 1998, nobody was really delivering what the Crowes delivered on BYS. BTF/UTF is probably a "better" album in the record nerd sense of the word, but when it came out, I had plenty of choices for that type of music in my life.

But nobody was making songs like "Horsehead" then. And even the ones who do now, don't do it as well. Sorry, Rival Sons!

19. Sully79

Sully79 Forum Resident

I'll be gutted if CRB ends, CR's vocals with Neal's harmonies / backing vocals really complement each other, if Neal's out, I can't see how it can continue. I was hoping on the new album Adam might tone down the spaceship ****, a change there might be good.....

As for CR, he'll piss Marcus King off soon & be left with no one to play with, unless he builds family bridges. But the only people who'd be interested in going are the ones like us, emotionally attached to 20-odd years of ups & downs, but now battle-weary from the ******** & half-arsed tours. If anything's getting done, it's gotta be done right, and my guess is it wouldn't be.

A lot of speculation, but it all points to a mess. Still, I'll be hanging around here for a few days, desperate for updates!

Matthew Tate and Graham like this.
  20. walrus

BYS is a better album than BTF/UTF. It actually has songs I can remember and sing along to. And honestly I like it more than TSAOC, too.

twicks likes this.
  21. walrus

It's possible. At some point Marcus King will be known enough on his own that he won't need the Crowes cover gig to help pay his bills. Dude is legit, and there seems to be a lot of buzz about his band's new record (which is excellent). But at the same time, CRB is a creative partnership, ATCF is a big-budget bar band; there's less opportunities for tension when musicians are just showing up to play, not actually having to create anything together.

painted8 and jmorton like this.
  22. jmorton

jmorton Forum Resident

Went to the Amorica3 message boards for the first time in years (had to make a new account). Steve Hagar is all up in there telling everyone that Chris and Rich are definitely back together and recruiting a bunch of nobodies to play as the Crowes. Was very discouraging to read, if true (and who knows at this point).

painted8 likes this.
  23. Former Lee Warmer

Former Lee Warmer Emotional Rescue

Well, you know that they say "**** Hagar" isn't just a river in Egypt.

Or something.

jammincrowe and jmorton like this.
  24. Robamorican

Robamorican Forum Resident

Wow. I didnt realize there was an amorica3 board lol

The amorica2 boaed sucked and I gave up

Graham likes this.
  25. Bob Lamonta

I've been over at Amorica3 most of today as well. Hagar is definitely having the time of his life. That dude is the worst. But I gotta hand it to him. He's unwavering. I thought I cared about the Black Crowes until I met dudes like Hagar who are just obsessed. He's likely fueling the majority of these flames across the internet, but it does make some sense. Everybody's gotta eat. Hell, I just learned about this site Cameo where you can pay celebrities to record personalized video messages for you for as low as $25. We've all got bills to pay.

Robamorican and painted8 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.