Bob Dylan: The 1966 Live Recordings - Sony 36-CD box-set - November 11th 2016

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Richard--W, Sep 27, 2016.

1. Richard--W

Richard--W Forum Resident Thread Starter

Wonderful clips.

Two different angles on Just Like a Woman. That's a finished edit.
    Is it known which concert these are from?

CRadtke likes this.
  2. Somebody Naked

Somebody Naked Forum Resident

I'm kind of in a rush; but I've just checked the intro to Just Like A Woman and it's Dublin. He's wearing what he wore that night, too.

budwhite likes this.
  3. Somebody Naked

And One Too Many Mornings is a composite of Edinburgh, Liverpool, one I'm not sure of, Cardiff and possibly Newcastle. The only one I've never been able to identify is the footage shot from upstage of Dylan into the light, where you can often see the EXIT sign.

DeeThomaz and budwhite like this.
  4. MGSeveral

MGSeveral Augm

Way out, man!

padesu and The Bard like this.
  5. Somebody Naked

6. MGSeveral

MGSeveral Augm

Hmm, that'd be something to do, listen to each recording on the same date as it was recorded in 1966.

Of course you'd better wait until the calendar matches the days of the week, exactly!

The next matching year is 2022 ! (Prev = 2011)

7. Richard--W

8. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

So has this box upended any of the earlier assumptions about the dates of the various stray ‘66 performances that were in circulation prior to the release of The 1966 Tour Recordings?

The one that occurs to me is “Like A Rolling Stone” from the Royal Albert Hall. I know it was previously sometimes identified as coming from the first show (including, I believe, on both the Jewels & Binoculars and Genuine Live 1966 boxes) when it was really from the second show. Are there any others?

revolution_vanderbilt likes this.
  9. Richard--W

I'm sorry. I forget. But the answer is somewhere back-thread.

10. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

I think the search feature allows you to search for a phrase (maybe Like a Rolling Stone) within one thread, and then maybe the right post will be found

11. Somebody Naked

I don't know of any others. Although there's the Cardiff/Newcastle mix-up. The final LARS, to me, always sounded like the final night, I have to say. He introduces the Hawks, he says they're not playing any more songs in England, and he sounded exactly as stoned he did on the bootleg acoustic set from the same night. I'm still amazed that he survived after that tour: he sounds absolutely at the end.

12. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

Thanks!

In retrospect, it’s impressive the fan/bootleg community was able to be correctly identify almost all of the performances. As I recall from Paul Cable’s book, there was confusion about the exact dates of certain performance at that early period of Dylan tape collecting, but over time most everything seemed to get sorted out (until, as you point out, Sony created more confusion with their Cardiff/Newcastle swap!).

And I agree COMPLETELY that final LARS just sounds unmistakably like a finale to the whole tour. Guess we didn’t need a weatherman to tell us which way the wind was blowing. Back when it first came into general circulation (on Genuine Bootleg Series Take 2, as I recall) I believe it was correctly dated, so I wonder how it later came to be erroneously believed that it was actually from the earlier show?

goer and NumberEight like this.
  13. Dave Gilmour's Cat

Dave Gilmour's Cat Forum Resident

14. Percy Song

Percy Song A Hoity-Toity, High-End Client

15. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

Amazon sometimes drop the price on this set. I bought it, new, from Amazon UK for £23 on 03/19/18!

I would note - it's a monster set. It ships in a cube with a lift-off top. The booklet, sadly, is weak.

16. rihajarvi

rihajarvi Forum Resident

that is without a shadow of a doubt the best deal in the history of mankind

and this current one ain't bad either

JuanTCB likes this.
  17. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

Indeed, at the current price it's a steal.

18. supermd

supermd Senior Member

Serious question: what is up with Dylan's voice (both singing and speaking) on this tour? He sounds so out of it. Is it drugs? Listening to the Halloween 1964 show and Real Royal Albert Hall back to back makes this such a striking difference.

19. TimeandTempo

TimeandTempo Forum Resident

Heroin

supermd likes this.
  20. JuanTCB

JuanTCB Senior Member

I went to a Q&A with Alderson when the box set came out and at the reception afterwards, asked him point blank "What was Bob on during that tour? Heroin?" He replied that Bob was only drinking wine and taking speed (albeit constantly) but that Danko and Manuel were already heroin addicts, or at least using regularly on that tour.

I'd bet that in addition to being totally off his tits on booze and uppers he was just completely mentally, physically, creatively, and emotionally fried. Plus, he's never been a stranger to vocal affectations. Combine those factors with the ongoing battle against the audiences and I think what we're hearing in Bob's voice is a combination of defense mechanism, boredom, utter contempt, and just messing with their expectations.

21. Richard--W

The Philharmonic 1964 concert was atypical of Dylan's voice. His voice would
    climb a couple of octaves higher whenever he shared the stage with Joan Baez.
    I can't stand the sound of his voice in that show. Compare it to the Royal Festival
    Hall concert from the previous May 1964 and the first U.K. concert in April 1965.
    There's continuity in the voice. But Philharmonic Hall is not to be used as a
    measure of Dylan's voice.

I would say that's a reasonable appraisal. Add to the above that he really was in
    good voice on the 1966 tour and load a tonnage of the above on top of it.

Alderson was an observant outsider and an insider at the same time. I believe him.

What else did he say, about anything in general, about recording Dylan?

Were any of Dylan's people in attendance or had they froze him out?

Did they give Alderson the box-set or did he have to buy it?

Did you take any pictures at the reception?

Last edited: May 1, 2019
    TimeandTempo and JuanTCB like this.
  22. JuanTCB

JuanTCB Senior Member

@Richard--W

Alderson was an observant outsider and an insider at the same time. I believe him.

He definitely seemed pretty ego-free and very relaxed and matter-of-fact about things, yet also extremely detail-oriented. I couldn't detect an agenda at all, really.

What else did he say, about anything in general, about recording Dylan?

Here's a link to the Q&A: (my question is at about 40:55 - I think it had to do with the siege mentality on the tour or something.) But I remember he did get pretty technical early on in the discussion.

Were any of Dylan's people in attendance or had they froze him out?

Possibly in that bunch of aging Village hipsters! Sean Wilentz led the discussion, so that should give you a good idea re: the demographic. I was one of the few people there under 65.

Did they give Alderson the box-set or did he have to buy it?

I have no idea but I'm assuming he was given a case or two given that he played such a pivotal role in the whole process. And since he was interviewed for the promo materials, I think it's safe to say that he was fully in the corporate loop here and was duly compensated.

Did you take any pictures at the reception?

No - I was too busy laying waste to the open bar! It was basically in the living room of FDR's mother-in-law's old place. People were standing around chatting - there was definitely a bit of a Park Ave. society element happening. Rock geeks in their mid 40s like myself weren't really their usual crowd, I don't think. But there was Richard, sitting at a table with a record company rep and a bunch of box sets, next to Sean Wilentz who had a stack of copies of his own Dylan book. That's when I asked Richard what Bob was using drug-wise on the tour. I did chat with Anthony DeCurtis for a bit - he's a very nice guy in addition to being a superlative writer.

Last edited: May 1, 2019
    Crispy Rob, rednax, DeeThomaz and 6 others like this.
  23. supermd

supermd Senior Member

Well, OK, then his voice at Newport (all 3 years), or Brandeis 1963, etc. His 1966 live voice was so off and weird, for the whole tour, and not just his singing voice.

24. Like this post and your avatar! :tiphat:

Richard--W and JuanTCB like this.
  25. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

I'm a casual fan and even I'm considering getting this just to sample some of these shows and hear how they differ from one another.

I'm glad they decided to release this for historical and archival purposes. I'm also glad they decided to release the "Real Royal Albert Hall" show as a separate release!

JuanTCB likes this.