UK Charity (Thrift) Shop CD Hunting

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by MC Rag, Jan 17, 2016.

1. Slack Babbath

Slack Babbath Hit The North...

50p each
    Save The Children - Thank you !

Davie Bowie & The Pat Metheny Group - ‘This Is Not America’
    The Rolling Stones - ‘Going To A Go Go’
    Frank Sinatra - Where Are You - E.P
    Morrissey - ‘The Last Of The International Playboys’

[​IMG]

2. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

Oxfam is mostly based in Kenya now so the boss can run for president of Uganda.

stepeanut likes this.
  3. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Source ?

4. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

Do a search, Oxfam International who aren't overseen by the UK Charity Commision control the money now, they've been moving from Oxford to Nairobi for some time, I think management relocated last year as for Winnie Byanyima who runs things, she's very much involved in Ugandan politics and Oxfam's new base in Kenya puts her in a perfect position to make a run for high office in Uganda, possibly helped by some large aid projects.

Here's Oxfam's spin on it, allegedly the Kenyan government gave Oxfam big tax breaks and other incentives:
    Oxfam International signs historic deal to move to Nairobi. Kenya | Oxfam International Blogs

alexpop likes this.
  5. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Well like I said in my post I believe some of the money goes to where it should go. I’m too much of a cynic to believe otherwise.

Dubmart likes this.
  6. G00dVibrations

G00dVibrations Forum Resident

Those highly priced records are probably someone who knows a little but not enough. Like the thought process is along the lines of: "oh look a brand new copy of this record is £70 on Discogs, we can sell this battered old copy someone gave us for £70 too"

7. mark e

mark e Forum Resident

this weeks fun for £2

INXS - X
    Therapy? - Troublegum
    Stereophonics - Language, Sex, Violence, Other ?

really really chuffed about the Therapy? cd as I have wanted to hear this album in years.
    never bought at the time due to all the Metal association and I was anything but a metal fan back in the day.
    and yeah, I get the connection, but it actually reminds me most of Compulsion, and they are anything but metal, just noise/guitar pop.
    still, its a cracking album.
    as is the INXS, another band I have never bought anything by, but clearly should have.

(the stereophonics was just to add to the pile as the Delakota track on it which I remembered as being a bit of a noisy pop song, and I was not wrong !)

Dave S likes this.
  8. Beatlened

Beatlened Forum Resident

I'd never dream of bringing anything back to a charity shop.

johnnybrum likes this.
  9. johnnybrum

johnnybrum Forum Resident

In Oxfam this week, I saw a battered copy of George Michael's Ladies and Gentlemen 2CD comp for £3.99

THREE NINETY-NINE !!! :crazy:

10. mark e

mark e Forum Resident

umm, forgive my ignorance, but is that over priced, or a rare cd that should be a lot more !?
    I suspect it should be a lot cheaper.
    I saw it this week for £2.50 and could not be bothered, so is it something I will live to regret ?

11. Farmer Mike

Farmer Mike Forum Resident

I got a very clean UK pressing of it at a thrift here in Detroit for .20.

mark e likes this.
  12. mark e

mark e Forum Resident

"clean pressing" : assuming you are about the vinyl edition ?

This week I saw the cd edition as I rarely check for vinyl in charity shops as they now think that James Last albums are £££

13. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

If it had been vinyl, then it would have been the score of the century as there is no vinyl edition listed on discogs. 167 for sale on discogs, so anything but rare. Probably worth £2.50 as posting a copy might cost £3.

Lost In The Flood and mark e like this.
  14. johnnybrum

It's certainly not rare...one seller on eBay has 58 copies for sale at £1.99 inc postage... The missus already has it, so I'm not after it, but I just thought 4 quid was really optimistic.

Dubmart, Man at C&A and mark e like this.
  15. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

Nurse is the Therapy? album I've usually seen. Collecting target CDs introduced me to INXS, but they hard to find in the UK as they were signed to Mercury here.

mark e likes this.
  16. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

I think my local Air Ambulance is wildely optimistic about some of their CDs and they only want 10p each! Still, it was nice to see that the Cream Live housed in a green wallet found a home. I might have picked it up myself if only I could find another 9 discs.

Lost In The Flood and johnnybrum like this.
  17. Farmer Mike

Farmer Mike Forum Resident

It's the cd; shiny, un-scuffed jewel box, the discs have no scratches or marks. It was among a group of 12 or so UK and EU pop cd's (Sade, Charlotte Church, Duffy, Boyzone, Robbie Williams, etc.), however all of the others were empty cases and had probably left in a CD wallet somewhere. I'm taking it to my next record show, if I get $5 or 6 for it, I'll be happy.

mark e likes this.
  18. AirJordanFan93

AirJordanFan93 Forum Resident

Nice to see our old friend Robbie is still taking up space in Charity Shops.

19. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

US charity shop, no less. It's like finding the Dave Matthews Band in the UK.

20. Siegmund

Siegmund Vinyl Sceptic

Picked up Prefab Sprout's recent-ish but strangely rare Crimson/Red in Ludlow on Saturday for £1.99, and in Oxfam no less!

johnnybrum likes this.
  21. johnnybrum

Heart Foundation - 99p each for;

Sound Of Music (50th Anniversary Edition)
    Apocalyse Now Redux OST

Both in NM conditon, clean as can be, right beside each other. Wonder if they came from same donor. ANR even had an unmarked slipcase. Had an extra good look in case the soundtrack fan had left any other goodies, but that was it...
    Older guy at the till said "Bit of a difference in sounds there!"

Saw Blue Lines - Massive Attack for same price.. .It's always a funny feeling when you see one of your all-time favourite albums sitting there for 99p (also saw a Pistols NMTB recently) Part of me wants to buy it, even though I've already got the CD, vinyl and the SDE, but, of course, I leave it there, hoping that someone else will discover a masterpiece in a charity shop.

22. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

I see both "Blue Lines" and Portishead's "Dummy" pretty much every weekend and like you always feel like I should be rescuing them from their uncertain fate, but there are only so many copies you can give away and I just don't have room to start stockpiling them at home, though I thought the same way about Floyd and Zep LPs back in the early 1990s when they were at every boot sale for 50p or £1 and look how that turned out.:rolleyes:

23. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

Blue Lines was in my local Air Ambulance shop, but like mst people here, I have a copy. Good bargain for 10 or 20 pence though.

24. Dave Gilmour's Cat

Dave Gilmour's Cat Forum Resident

50p today: Mike Scott (of the Waterboys) – Bring ‘Em All In.

Any good?

Dave S likes this.
  25. HastingsBoy

HastingsBoy Forum Resident

I'm still finding good stuff in Poundland. 2 Belle and Sebastian albums, Arab Strap, and Peasant, a Best of Prefab Sprout and Fleetwood Mac, Tango.
    Of course you have to have the patience to sift through all the crap and stuff you already have, but it can be rewarding.