New Springsteen Album "Western Stars" June 14*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by FingerPickin'Triumph, Apr 22, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Purple

Purple Forum Resident

A couple questions: why is it a 2x lp at 50 min? 25 min per side doesn't seem too bad, and 13min is kind of awkward... Also is the single representative of the entire album?

2. FingerPickin'Triumph

FingerPickin'Triumph Forum Resident Thread Starter

Anything that gets Bruce out of wearing his usual black vest that a lot of older rockers tend for god knows what reason to prefer...

tedg65 likes this.
  3. Roland S.

Roland S. Forum Resident

Not immpossible to cut on one Lp, but could sound better to cut on two, and last not least it makes more profit than a single Lp.

4. I'm hoping for an uncompressed download option but not expecting much from the guy who thought Magic sounded good.

J_D__ likes this.
  5. Dylancat

Dylancat Forum Resident

Yea, it’s an amazing place..
    Checkout Memphis Beale Street too.
    Smaller strip than Nashville...blues and soul..

6. Dylancat

Dylancat Forum Resident

Dunno...
    Think it’s pretty good..
    Parsons could carry it off.

windfall, budwhite and Davido like this.
  7. marcb

marcb Senior Member

25 min a side isn’t bad? It’s not good either.

8. JoeF.

JoeF. Forum Resident

He tried out a similar sartorial style around the time of Joad.

Davido and daveidmarx like this.
  9. JoeF.

JoeF. Forum Resident

Don't laugh. I know a couple of guys , huge Bruce fans, who just might do the same thing after they see these pictures.....

Dr. Zoom likes this.
  10. daveidmarx

daveidmarx Forem Residunt

I guess you haven't seen the reissue of Tunnel Of Love on vinyl - 46 minutes over 2 LPs. That's right on the heels of releasing the even longer Born in The USA (by :30) as a single-LP. Who knows why these decisions are made?

Purple likes this.
  11. daveidmarx

My, but you guys have short memories. Apparently, you don't remember how Bruce chose to present himself around the time of Tom Joad:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Alright, so ONE of you does remember! ;) But look on the bright side - at least he isn't slicking his hair back this time and growing a large goatee;
    [​IMG]:sigh:

Tjazz, Record Rotator and JoeF. like this.
  12. ExHead

ExHead Forum Resident

Goatees were the 90's equivalent of the mullet. So glad they are gone.

Larry C. McGinnis III and JoeF. like this.
  13. windfall

windfall Senior Member

Now it's just full hipster beards EVERYWHERE. Or maybe the UK is behind the curve and you all shaved them off years ago.

aroney and ExHead like this.
  14. daveidmarx

I thought the mullet was the 90's equivalent of the mullet. :eek:

jeffsab likes this.
  15. INSW

INSW Senior Member

I work in Portland. They're working hard to keep mullets, goatees, and full beards alive. It's almost mandatory.

Quincy, tedg65, jeffsab and 2 others like this.
  16. mr_spenalzo

mr_spenalzo Forum Resident

Someone tell my French colleagues.

17. maccawings

maccawings Senior Member

5 weeks until release. Shouldn’t be long until the first album reviews start seeping out

The MEZ likes this.
  18. cgw

cgw Forum Resident

I would have to say they were and are much more common after the turn of the century and still are. Still very common but yes full beards seem to be taking over.

(I had one for about half a day between a 3 week vacation beard and my normal smooth shave. My wife encouraged me to keep it. ~6 yrs ago)

19. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

only if they herald the second coming. Otherwise, the lawyers are ready

20. 905

905 Senior Member

"You walk too far, you walk away"

I love that line, I'm very content with Hello Sunshine.

DavidD, RSteven, mr_spenalzo and 3 others like this.
  21. djost

djost Hyperactive!

Just listened to "Hello Sunshine" and really like it. To me, this song is very soothing and relaxing. Preorder the album off Springsteen's site. Also, got the Volume 1 boxset recently. Forgot how much I liked his early albums.

DavidD, Jimmy B., maccawings and 3 others like this.
  22. mhvbear

mhvbear Senior Member

Bruce Springsteen Has Written Most of a New E Street Band Album
    Bruce Springsteen Says He’s Written Most of a New E Street Band Album
    Bruce Springsteen appeared at a Netflix event in Hollywood this weekend, as part of the streaming service’s exclusive FYSee series of events designed to promote their slate of programming for Emmy consideration. In conversation with his old friend Martin Scorsese (the two met at a Springsteen concert in 1975), the singer-songwriter discussed his Netflix special version of Springsteen of Broadway, both the production choices surrounding it and its creative genesis. Springsteen explained that an invitation by Obama to perform in the White House during “the last couple of weeks” the former president was in office inspired a union of spoken-word memoir and songs that would eventually turn into Springsteen on Broadway.

However, Springsteen’s most crucial revelation of the night was that after “seven years” of writer’s block, he had finally penned a new E Street Band album. “I couldn’t write anything for the band,” Springsteen explained to Scorsese. “And then about a month or so ago, I wrote almost an album’s worth of material for the band…I mean, I know where it came from, but at the same time, it just came out of almost nowhere. I had almost two weeks of those daily visitations and it was so nice. It makes you so happy. You go, ‘Fine, I’m not ****ed.’ There’ll be another tour.”
    Late last month, Springsteen released a muted, decidedly non-E-Street-Band-esque solo single, “Hello Sunshine,” the first from his upcoming 19th album Western Stars. The LP is due out on June 14 via Columbia Records. Springsteen’s previous album was 2014’s High Hopes, which featured performances by the E Street Band.

23. INSW

INSW Senior Member

Yeah, I'm gonna take all that with a big ol' grain of salt.

24. FingerPickin'Triumph

FingerPickin'Triumph Forum Resident Thread Starter

@mhvbear you beat me to it! Totally right to take with a grain of salt after all he was talking "seriously" about releasing his solo album back in 2016. That said... it is really great to hear that he is writing new songs again. Really great to hear.

25. JAuz

JAuz Forum Resident

I am really looking forward to Western Stars, based on "Hello Sunshine". It's something Bruce hasn't done much of before and sounds like it will be music made by an older man. It's age appropriate. Maybe he'll even stop dying his hair and do some acoustic shows.

A potential new E Street Band album doesn't fill me with nearly as much excitement. If Bruce wants to rock 'n' roll some more, that's great (and his prerogative), but it wouldn't be breaking any new ground.

DavidD and The MEZ like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.