Pink Floyd Animals in 5.1 Speculation, Now Pricing & Shipping thread starting Page 248

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by rontoon, Apr 16, 2018.

1. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

There are more than a few threads in the Forum Business section addressing this issue.

duneman, sw61139 and Deek57 like this.
  2. mdm08033 and NunoBento like this.
  3. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

Ah, the thread appeared again... but I thought there's some news about it. :oops:

Onder, snkcube, RangerXT and 5 others like this.
  4. Hush

Hush "Fate, up against your will"

Every. Single. Time. :laugh:

Coricama, Kristofa and SteveFff like this.
  5. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

I always sit down before checking the latest posts in this thread :help::D.

Onder, Kristofa, RangerXT and 2 others like this.
  6. boggs

boggs Multichannel Machiavellian

I want this ! Arrgh......where and when ?

andrewskyDE likes this.
  7. rez21

rez21 Well-Known Member

Seriously how hard could this release possibly be? Other bands put out multiple catalog 5.1 mixes in short order

JediJoker likes this.
  8. JediJoker

JediJoker Audio Engineer/Enthusiast

It's Floyd. Nothing is simple. :laugh:

Bill Mac and jlf like this.
  9. DrZhivago

DrZhivago Hedonist

I sincerely hope each of us could find other things to occupy ourselves with while waiting for Animals 5.1. :)

10. daca

daca Currently on Double Secret Probation

[​IMG]

11. honestabe316

honestabe316 Analog Rebel

Ive never heard wish you were here or DSOTM in 5.1 ....or any 5.1 music for that matter...i have the quadrophonic vinyl pressing of DSOTM but dont have a quad receiver so ive never heard anything other than Amused to death with Q-Sound.
    How does music get recorded in the 5.1 format? Does each channel get an instrument dedicated to it? Or are the front 2 channels playing the music and surround back speakers doing the sound effects? Im trying to figure it out without googling the answer

12. JediJoker

Bad form. Use Google.

Anyway, most surround music isn't recorded in surround, just like most stereo music isn't recorded in stereo. Although there are exceptions, especially in classical genres, it's generally multitracked and mixed just like any other music. More channels just means more real estate available. Mixes span the gamut from stereo with minor ambience in the rears to lots of active panning all around the room. The best multichannel mixes tend to reside somewhere in the middle. James Guthrie's 5.1 mixes, thus far, err on the "conservative" side and hew very closely to the original stereo mixes of the albums. The image is widened out into the room, with appropriate effects and occasional discrete musical elements in the surrounds.

13. honestabe316

honestabe316 Analog Rebel

Thanks for that breif explanation. It made me wonder this; since DSOTM and WYWH were both recorded in quadraphonic form for the quadrophonic lp releases wouldnt that indicate that there were tapes still available of these 2 albums recorded in more than 2 channels?
    Im probably misguided in my thinking here, but wouldnt those tapes recorded in quad be a better way to go when making a 5.1 mix? Or at least an alternative mix in a "deluxe set"?

14. Saul Pimon

Saul Pimon Co-hosts Nothing Is Real Beatles Podcast (Jason!)

The DSOTM & WYWH Quad mixes were also included in the box sets along witht he 5.1 mixes.

In reality, nothing is “recorded in Quadrophonic”, or “Recorded in Stereo” per se. Recordings are built up from individual tracks and then you mix those tracks together into a final mono form, or stereo, or Quad, or 5.1. (I know I’m being a bit over-simplistic here, you might record something to facilitate it being mixed in stereo or 5.1, but the mix is the thing)

paulisdead, snkcube, jamesc and 3 others like this.
  15. Michael Rose

Michael Rose Forum Resident

Hi! Back again. Checking in. See you next month.

16. opiumden

opiumden Forum Resident

Oh the years we saw this pic captioned "waiting for the new tool album"

drum_cas and Michael Rose like this.
  17. Michael Rose

Michael Rose Forum Resident

And still relevant for both bands.

JediJoker and drum_cas like this.
  18. JediJoker

@Saul Pimon is correct, for the most part. Some things are actually recorded in the same number of channels in which they are delivered, with no mixing necessary or even possible before mastering. Likely most classical music is recorded this way, rather than the multitracking and mixing that dominates popular music.

The stereo, quad, and 5.1 mixes of these albums were all completed from the same sources: the original multitrack tapes (or facsimiles thereof).

19. bettsaj

bettsaj “I'm in competition with myself and I'm losing.”

I thought it had been released!.................... I'll check again in a month or so :rolleyes:

20. Scott Sheagren

Scott Sheagren I’m a Metal,Rock,Jazz Fusion,Gaga type of guy.

One question.anyone like the remasters from 1994 or the 2012 remasters better?for me its the 2012 ones,seems to have a thicker bass sound.

21. I like 1994, OK, sorry - I guess I don't have the 2012. I guess I should of looked before I went to reply.

Scott Sheagren likes this.
  22. Scott Sheagren

Scott Sheagren I’m a Metal,Rock,Jazz Fusion,Gaga type of guy.

no problem cause those 1994 remasters were great.i think the new ones have a cleaner bass and mid range.but like i said those 1994 ones are great.

Larry C. McGinnis III likes this.
  23. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

In the case of Animals, I definitely go for the 2011 remaster.

24. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

Billy_Sunday and Scott Sheagren like this.
  25. RockAddict

RockAddict Sanity is an illusion, just like democracy

Depends on which album. 2011 for Animals but it still isn't a great production (freely acknowledged very recently by Nick Mason). As a generalisation, the 94/95 remasters tend to work best for the earlier albums whereas the 2011 remasters tend to work better for the later albums. IMO, everything from ATH onwards sounds slightly veiled in the 2011 remasters with the vocals notably less clear. Apparently, other posters have different opinions. They're wrong... ;) :D

Billy_Sunday and Scott Sheagren like this.