Ever walked out of a movie?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Strat-Mangler, May 3, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker Thread Starter

Myself? No, but I definitely wanted to.

On a date watching the first Magadascar (her choice) which was wholly unfunny and uninteresting, plus had jump cuts every 2 secs, making for a nauseating movie to watch on the big screen.

The last time I opted for movie-viewing as a date.

2. Combination

Combination Forum Resident

Yep, once at an independent theater with very few people watching the movie, and some guy was very drunk and couldn't control himself. They did give me some kind of pass to see it again later, and it was great on the return trip.

3. Schoolmaster Bones

Schoolmaster Bones Poe's Lawyer

It's been a while. The three movies that I walked out on:

Scarface (1983)
    Bolero (1984)
    The Doors (1991)

Scarface had an intermission. Wife and I went out for a smoke, opted for not coming back. For the other two, I was with people who stayed. I just hung out in the lobby until they were finished.

4. Phil Thien

Phil Thien Forum Resident

One of the Tom Cruise Mission Impossible movies. Was like a music video. Terrible.

Kossoff is God and Rasputin like this.
  5. JozefK

JozefK Forum Resident

An unwatchable horror with the falsely promising title Full Frontal.

It was so bad I walked out even though my ride insisted on staying to watch it. So to protest I simply stood in the lobby for an hour.

Pointless to you, but I had to tell the universe how much I hated that movie.

6. bluesbro

bluesbro Forum Hall of Shame

Some film with Cameron Diaz that had some raunchy jokes. Neither me or the wife were in the mood for that.

Moshe and Ghostworld like this.
  7. Damien DiAngelo

Damien DiAngelo Forum Resident

I'm not a huge movie goer, but I've never walked out of a movie, and never thought of it.

I paid my money
    And I'm gonna see all the movie
    I paid my money
    And I'm gonna see all the movie

royzak2000 likes this.
  8. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

Several times. One I walked out on twice.

Ghostworld likes this.
  9. malcolm reynolds

malcolm reynolds Handsome, Humble, Genius

I walked out of the Matrix Reloaded during what felt like the 45 minute mark of the underground rave scene.

I also walked out during the first scene of annoying chicks yapping during Death Proof. My brother came out in the lobby where I was playing a video game in the arcade and convinced me to come back inside. Then the second group of annoying chicks started yapping forever and ever and ever. I am convinced that they are still yapping.

poe_man, SomeCallMeTim, DLeet and 5 others like this.
  10. Rasputin

Rasputin Forum Resident

Lord of the rings

Bad boys II

Dead poets society

Hook

+ a dozen others...

Steve Litos and t3chnobrat like this.
  11. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

When I was a teenager and in an early college program I walked out of an on campus showing of Deliverance. That whole movie (not just the inbreds) was unrelentingly disgusting and un-enjoyable. Maybe if I were more of a sadist I'd enjoy that movie.

In the mid-80's, I walked out of an incredibly stupid movie called Born American, about some American teenagers hiking in Finland who wander across the border into the Soviet union and get captured and imprisoned. There are no words for how dumb that movie is, it defies description. At the point I walked out, one of the Americans (I think the only surviving one) was about to engage in some half-baked live action chess game for his freedom or some such nonsense. And of course he was fortified for this trial by having sex with a shapely woman who was somehow in the same prison he was in. I was surprised to learn later that it was actually a Finnish movie and not an American one. It seemed that anything that ridiculous had to come out of the coked-out head of a Hollywood director.

12. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

Menace II Society

:magoo:

13. socorro

socorro Forum Resident

I have a couple of times but I forget which ones they were.

There were others I watched, with increasing regret, to the bitter end. Some of these include:

War of the Roses. Possibly my most hated movie ever. Nothing sucks like black humor that isn't funny.

Paul Blart, Mall Cop II. Yeah, I knew it would be hot garbage but my kid and her friend wanted to go. Later, my kid said she wanted to leave after 20 minutes.

The third Indiana Jones movie, who cares what it was called. It was ridiculous and straight up racist to boot.

14. agaraffa

agaraffa Senior Member

15. R. Totale

R. Totale The Voice of Reason

"Your movie was so bad I walked out, and I was on an airplane at the time" - from Cecil B. Demented

I walked out on Bloodsucking Freaks. I'm okay with gore and don't mind pron and that was still too much for me.

Old Rusty and clhboa like this.
  16. Fairly selective about actually attending a film shown in a theater. I've turned off more than a few videos, and movies shown on TV.

One friend of mine walked out on Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer. Another friend walked out on Natural Born Killers.

Both of them share an expansive and edgy taste in films. In each case, just hit their limit and got fed up.

17. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident

Shrek 2...or 3....one of those Shreks, I blame myself, really......
    I'm very cheap so for me to walk out it has to be bad. I remember watching The Lonely Lady with Pia Zadora and people were fleeing the aisles, the acting alone was just excruciating, I stayed though cause I was 18 and....there was a good chance of seeing Pia naked......don't judge

18. TheVU

TheVU Forum Resident

I wanted to walk out of Jurassic World.

But I didn’t want to wake my sleeping girlfriend.

19. dmiller458

dmiller458 Forum Resident

The movie is disturbing, but the performances are top-notch.

20. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker Thread Starter

Guessing #2, directed by John Woo.

There's Something About Mary?

That was a hilarious movie! Whole theater of 400 people were laughing so hard (including me) that we all missed some jokes. Favorite bit was the dead dog who needed to be zapped back to life with the lamp cord... who then catches fire. My sides were hurting...

Went back in, then walked out? That's hardcore. :D

Wow! That sounds horrible! 4.3/10 on iMDB.

Born American (1986) - IMDb

IJ & The Last Crusade? With Sean Connery? That's my favorite one! Funny and endearing. Only disparaging towards nazis, really.

Last edited: May 3, 2019
    MPLRecords and Phil Thien like this.
  21. Solitaire1

Solitaire1 Carpenters Fan

Only one comes to mind: The Last American Virgin.

I thought the movie was supposed to be a comedy. I watched the movie for about an hour and found it so boring and unfunny that I finally walked out. When I mentioned this in other posts other posters mentioned that it had a very emotional ending (I think the phrase "stomach punch" was used).

22. overdrivethree

overdrivethree Forum Resident

In spirit, I walked out of the Jurassic Park reboot/sequel that was out last summer. My band was doing a weekend run through Ohio, and to kill time before that night’s show we found a multiplex in Columbus and went to see the JP movie together for a laugh.

It was so poorly done on multiple levels, that even our MST3K-style riffing amongst ourselves kind of wore thin and we just rode it out until the bitter end. Like “wow glad that piece of trash is over, let’s get to the club now.”

I rarely go see any big studio blockbusters, so this was very much a reminder of why.

23. Bern

Bern JC4Me

Only one..One Crazy Summer released in 1986. Took my then gf to see it. I'll blame it on her since we got married. Snoozefest.

24. Scopitone

Scopitone Caught the last train for the coast

When I was in high school and still steeped in a certain kind of religious programming, I found Defending Your Life offensive and walked out of it.

But then again, Albert Brooks takes some years to really appreciate, anyway. So I probably wouldn't have liked it regardless, as a teen. I like it plenty, now.

I think I may have walked out of Speed 2 because it was so dumb. And it's possible I have never seen it since.

25. Scopitone

Scopitone Caught the last train for the coast

Stomach punch sounds about right, to be sure.

Chris DeVoe likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.