Appraising my collection

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by italianprog, May 2, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. italianprog

italianprog Forum Resident Thread Starter

I am moving and want to sell about half my collection. A dealer is coming tomorrow to look at the lot. There are about 300 pieces total.

200 records are domestic US pressings from the 1970s, mostly classic rock, hard rock and prog. Think Led Zeppelin, King Crimson, Yes, Beatles, etc. The media range from VG to VG+, sleeves are pretty typical for that era. A few have water damage.

100 records are modern pressings and reissues, mostly indie rock and alternative. Bon Iver, Sufjan Stevens, Fleet Foxes etc. Media is all VG+ to M- and some have been opened but never played.

How much should I ask for this? What price is fair for both me and the dealer?

2. CraigVC

CraigVC Senior Member

You'll never know unless you do the research yourself for each piece, then recognize that the dealer is going to need purchase the lot from you at a large cut below actual appraised value to cover her time for coming out to your place, business overhead, etc.

If you don't want to take the time to do the research for yourself (I get it; it would take a lot of time to do that for 300 items; I'm prepping to sell about that many LPs myself, but I'm gearing up to list them individually...), you just have to trust that the dealer is going to offer you a fair price, and decide whether and how much you want to negotiate with the initial offered price.

3. NettleBed

NettleBed Forum Transient

^ What he said.

I wouldn't take anything less than $1K for that, though, based on your description.

4. Raynie

Raynie Hyperactive!

400 would be my expectation. Water damaged, VG= 0. VG+ strong sellers, 1-2; slow movers 0-.50. New records, maybe 2 each.

Last edited: May 2, 2019
  5. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

Keep us updated as to what you were offered but I don't think you'll get much more than $300 for the lot. Doesn't sound like anything you have is rare or out of the ordinary which is what I'm basing my offer on.

If it were me, I'd sell the NM modern stuff on Discogs on an individual basis which will take longer but get you more money and sell the rest as a lot. My 2 cents.

6. bluesbro

bluesbro Forum Hall of Shame

$300 tops. The ones with water damage will be considered trash by the dealer, so price may depend on how many are in this condition.

7. Kurt RUhlin

Kurt RUhlin Forum Resident

I agree with the $300-$400 comments. Bulk wholesale used records don't go for much - these are the highest margin products for record stores. They know your alternative is the hassle of selling yourself and dealing with (some) picky end consumers. Good luck!

8. Muzyck

Muzyck Pardon my scruffy hospitality

If you are looking to make a quick bulk sale you should not use past sale prices as an expectation on what you will be offered. Someone who is a dealer will need to lay out cash up front for a lot of things that may sit for a while or not sell at all. Forget the water damaged items and truly VG LPs if they are not hard to find copies.

9. italianprog

Thanks all for the feedback. I may reconsider selling and just play the long game, or move them. Will let you know what the dealer says.

Strat-Mangler likes this.
  10. Jeremy B.

Jeremy B. Forum Resident

Why not take a few hours to catalog them on Discogs? That'll give you the most accurate read on the value of your entire collection.

tmtomh and JasonA like this.
  11. Strat-Mangler

Just a guess but if the OP wanted to do a bulk sale, he doesn't have the time or the motivation to take the time to do so.

12. italianprog

Thanks everyone. Dealer offered 600 and I took it.

Muzyck, PhantomStranger, Dave and 6 others like this.
  13. Strat-Mangler

I would've too! You made some good coin. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.