Pink Floyd Animals in 5.1 Speculation, Now Pricing & Shipping thread starting Page 248

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by rontoon, Apr 16, 2018.

1. Scott Sheagren

Scott Sheagren I’m a Metal,Rock,Jazz Fusion,Gaga type of guy.

Jeez Animals is my favorite Pink Floyd album.i never heard any bad production on Animals.it sounds dynamic and just the same as the other Floyd albums(great in my book)

2. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

3. Alternative4

Alternative4 One of These Days I'll Get an Early Night

The biggest thing I notice is on side two the drums lack punch and the guitars are a bit dull.

RockAddict likes this.
  4. RockAddict

RockAddict Sanity is an illusion, just like democracy

I'm offering this as part of an ongoing conversation - I'm not interested in flaming :) . If you have it, listen to the Snowy White version of Pigs On The Wing, Parts 1 & 2. It's a different recording but the relevance is the production in terms of how much more open and airy the SW version is when compared to the official album version(s) by Pink Floyd. In broad terms, I agree with @Alternative4 about the drums and guitars but would also mention the relative lack of overall bottom end. Personally, I love Animals in the musical sense but have always been frustrated by the production and I tend to gravitate to live renditions of the main songs as performed by one of the better known tribute bands (Brit Floyd in this case notwithstanding an honourable mention to the 2005 full-album performance by the Aussies).

Scott Sheagren likes this.
  5. Scott Sheagren

Scott Sheagren I’m a Metal,Rock,Jazz Fusion,Gaga type of guy.

Myke likes this.
  6. Myke

Well that 32DP 360 (Japan 1st press) has a unique sound all it's own. One night while digging through another member's FS posts, I saw that this hadn't been sold, so I jumped on it. Showed up in absolutely M- condition, a thing of beauty.
    I now see what they're selling for, but I'm not giving her up ! :winkgrin:

Billy_Sunday likes this.
  7. pablorkcz

pablorkcz ⚡️⚡️⚡️⚡️

What is ATH?

8. Myke

Atom Heart Mother.

9. JediJoker

JediJoker Audio Engineer/Enthusiast

Then it should be "AHM."

10. Myke

11. Zapruder

Zapruder Just zis guy, you know?

A Tom Heartmother

12. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

According to Vernon Fitch's page the SRCS, CSCS and 28DP versions are the same mastering and cheaper alternatives than the first pressing. I wish I had known that way back when.

Pink Floyd Archives-Japanese Pink Floyd CD Discography

Bill Mac and superstar19 like this.
  13. Myke

Yeah, back in 2010, it was all about the first pressings, but if I were to regret every time I've overpaid for something in hindsight, I'd have to eat my gun. Live, and learn.
    At least posts like yours will educate future generations of physical media lovers.

Bill Mac and superstar19 like this.
  14. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

It's funny, my relationship with Pink Floyd and their somewhat overblown efforts. I used to L-O-V-E the song (work of art) "Dogs", but now I hear it and think, what was I thinking??? I would love to hear this song now in 5.1 just for fun, because it screams for a surround mix, but in 2-channel it just seems so yesterday to me now.

Myke likes this.
  15. Myke

Which is why I sell off a pile of records, CDs, etc. every 6 months or so. Apparently, for a lot of us, our tastes change, as we grow older. Just gave my son's sister a large amount of McCartney, because I realized I never reach for any of it anymore, and she does, and will. I also sold a pile of records to a local shop yesterday, and am very happy to have the space.

Billy_Sunday likes this.
  16. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

MYKE, I only wish that I could shake off some of my collection using your thinking, but sadly I'm weak and I fear that one day I might want to hear it again, but I applaud your strength in doing so. I often look at my collection and think of just how many albums (vinyl and CD) that I hold on to just because I love only one or two songs!

17. Myke

Luckily, I sometimes have had my doubts. This time, it was Jimmy Buffet. Original vinyl that I haven't played in eons, but then that "little voice" I've learned to trust after 60 years, said no, and I listened. Luckily, when a song has popped into my head, that's long gone, I simply Google it, which as I'm sure you know brings up You Tube, then I choose between my desktop, or my Oppo for my listening pleasure. Once I've enjoyed the song I'm able to move on, with no regret.

In fact, here's a great example : Firefall, a Best Of compilation, I just played on my new turntable. I even thought how I can't imagine giving that one up, with so many great memories from the late 70s tied to those songs.
    My first apartment at 18 years old, a great high-paying job, straight out of high school, and of course, a certain girl.
    Loves me some Firefall. :winkgrin:

Instant Dharma and Billy_Sunday like this.
  18. paulisdead

paulisdead fast and bulbous

Correct. And just to expand onto this point for those that don't know - it's just room micing and overheads (i.e. drum kits, choir, orchestra etc.) that would be recorded with two or more microphones to record a stereo or multi-channel image.

JediJoker and jlf like this.
  19. Lord Hawthorne

Lord Hawthorne Currently Untitled

"At The Hop", first done by Danny & the Juniors, then immortalized by Sha Na Na at Woodstock, throngs of people (double digits) are waiting for the Pink Floyd version.

20. RockAddict

RockAddict Sanity is an illusion, just like democracy

Hmm... "ATH" can only be explained by the proverbial brain....fart. :D But, referencing psychology, it's interesting that AHM was still recognised as the album in question. A case of the mind processing the visual as was expected rather than what is/was actually there. The alternative explanations for ATH are making me smile :tiphat: .

21. Ajax133

Ajax133 Well-Known Member

Any news ? Check this out.

Mr. Nick Mason says that they have problems to find extra material for the animals box set, but today I was reading a lot of things about animals live concert film and live tapes, i'm sure that you know all this stuff, but here are some info

Brian Humphries :.

"(...) To judge objectively their show, they even asked a cameraman to film rehearsals and a complete concert: at the projection we noticed some errors of implementation which were then rectified "

" The Sound of Pink Floyd ", The Speaker, June 2, 1977

This fan has definitely been shot by the notorious french fan Paul D. The tape (among others) are missing in his death in the nineties. The band has shot the rehearsals and the concert Brian Humphries, sound engineer, on this tour, stated.

A live album of the famous 1977 tour of Animals was considered. That's why Waters shouted different numbers every night to identify the recorded tapes. These tapes were also used during rehearsal of later concerts of this tour.
    An article of the "Melody Maker" of 03.27.1977 shows the group transmitting the recordings of the Dortmund concerts (in January) as a test tape for the synchronization of the Floyd with its special effects.

However, by mutual agreement, it was decided not to release it because the versions were kept too close to those of the studio album

22. bettsaj

bettsaj “I'm in competition with myself and I'm losing.”

For some reason...... I don't believe any of it. Waters shouted the numbers during some NOT ALL shows. If they were doing it to sequence the recordings it would have been done at the beginning of the tape off mic, by the guy recording the show. Not by a band member half way through it. The only known footage as far as I'm aware is some old super 8 footage recorded by an audience member

hiterss and RangerXT like this.
  23. I’d qualify the above statement. A live recording made with an ORTF stereo microphone (or similar array mic) recorded directly to two track can rightfully be deemed “recorded in stereo.” It’s not as rare as you might think.

24. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

..... I saw there were posts and thought it must be a release date .... :waiting:

25. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac Thread Starter

If the show was ever filmed its lost, the band doesn't have it. This happened over 40 years ago, memories have been lost as well.

And NO shows, not even one, were professionally recorded on multitrack for a release. No soundboard recordings either.

Last edited: May 30, 2019
    Frans T, Bill Mac, drum_cas and 3 others like this.