UK Charity (Thrift) Shop CD Hunting

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by MC Rag, Jan 17, 2016.

1. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

I know mine is from circa 1987 because the neat font matrix is CDEPC 450290 11A11 +++++. By late 1987, Sony plants began switching to the later laser fonts with barcodes (although some neat fonts have barcodes; I think I have a target with one). It was the red text on the spine and the European catalog number that alerted me to its strangeness. That and the fact I have a habit of opening up just about any early CBS disc (before they switched to Columbia).

2. uncarvedbloke

uncarvedbloke Forum Resident

I suffer from agonising about paying over £1 :)

3. AirJordanFan93

AirJordanFan93 Forum Resident

Looking at the image on the Discogs entry of the disc mine says 21A1 +++++. Also has Leave Me Alone as the bonus track as well.

4. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

The disc from that copy was made in Japan. My copy has that insert with EPIC on the spine (the other entry with the Austrian disc - 11A12 +++++ matrix) has the same insert without EPIC on the spine. Given the fact that it is an 1987 album, Japan and Austrian discs would have been manufactured at the same time. Australian sellers appear to want $$$ for their discs. Japanese copies in Europe can be had for just £1 or two plus shipping. My local entertainment store was selling early copies for £2.99 (Austrian, Japan, and Swiss). For some reason, they didn't appear to have any later versions with different mixes.

5. AirJordanFan93

I got mine for $8.00 at a used CD store last month. It's roughly what you would pay for a used disc as a store. Only two copies of this release currently for sale on Discogs and the cheapest is $14 and the other is $20.

6. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

Maybe for Air's Moon Safari (which I went all out and paid 10p), but for a disc that sells for >£20 on discogs, I might spring for $4. And don't forget, it is an US release, so it's probably going to cost you $20 to ship.

7. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

Not a £1 then. A visit to the UK or USA would mess with your mind. You'll need an extra suitcase for your CDs.

It should be said that regular stores (expecially small ones with decent selections) can be quite expensive. But there are bargains to be had.

8. AirJordanFan93

Im sure it would. Its a bucket list thing for sure. Even Sydney or Melbourne would be a better experience then where I am now where I only have two good stores to find things.

That's to be expected though. But I am sure the stores in the UK and the US have more of the titles I am looking for.

9. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

I think it comes down to population. There are twice as many people within 300 miles of me than there are in the whole of Australia. If my local store is sourcing CDs from all over the UK, then they are bound to get some great titles. They had that Allies target for one. I've left a LZ Untitled target on their shelves because it was scratchy. Ditto, an early US import copy of UFO's Lights Out which was favourably priced to online copies (again, it was scratchy).

10. AirJordanFan93

Earliest Zeppelin, you will find here are the 94 remasters. I have seen the odd Diament disc on eBay. I actually found a full set for sale on eBay back in February but stupidly got a set of 2003 European reissues of the 94 remasters. Being in Australia sucks for buying CDs for the most part or at least being in Perth does since we aren't the hubs Melbourne or Sydney are. One of the stores I frequent their stock is mainly made up of discs people trade-in so the prices are fair and the selection is usually solid for the most part. The stuff they get imported is priced fairly steep and the selection isn't as good as the stuff people trade-in. I plan on hitting it up on Thursday.

11. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

The early LZs are quite common here in the UK. You see them on ebay all the time for as little as £1. The funny thing is that they are rarely donated to charity shops, although I did see I and IV (not Diament) quite recently (99p each and in nice condition). I bought a set of I to III on Amazon a few years back. They were in mint condition (they literally looked brand). A couple of them were the golden greats versions. My immediate thought was that they were bronzed (I was very inexperienced at the time).

12. AirJordanFan93

I have no idea why they aren't common here but I guess the 94 remasters would be the equivalent here since they seem to be all over the place. Plus it helps they were sold for 20 years before they were replaced with the recent ones. I do keep my eye out on eBay but nothing of interest pops up all that often.

13. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

What’s the cheapest for used CDs USA or U.K.?

14. minibreakfast

minibreakfast Forum Resident

I'm seeing Kate Bush CDs more often in charity shops since the remasters came out last year. I hardly ever saw them before.

15. AirJordanFan93

As much as we may dislike remasters for various reasons a good thing about them is people will dump their older and arguably better discs for the supposed "new and improved" ones.

Dave Gilmour's Cat likes this.
  16. Siegmund

Siegmund Vinyl Sceptic

I noticed a load of 87 Beatles CDs appearing in charity shops in 2009, immediately post the remasters. But I think, on balance, most people prefer the remasters.

17. dr jazz

dr jazz Forum Resident

by me--Chicago --$1 at thrift stores.going soon to library half off sale and they will be 25 cents

18. bob60

bob60 Forum Resident

I know charity shops in London that sell 3 CDs for £1. I live close to a large Oxfam and they are £1 each in there. Staff in that store will be very clued up about music donations. The store is bang in a hipster area, I remember once a few years back Jarvis Cocker did a stint there as a DJ.

19. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

I'm back from a twelve hour day and three boot sales, very little vinyl, but I may have found some good CDs, will post later after a nap, also got a Yamaha DX9 for £10, nice eighties synth sounds, I've given it to my niece as she'll actually use it, but I was pleased to find it at a boot sale, just wish the car park had been nearer as it weighs a ton.

20. hamicle

hamicle Forum Resident

The DX9 is a good find!

21. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

I found some early, though unfortunately not first issue Floyd CDs, all UK and all non barcode:
    The Wall 1987
    Final Cut 1986
    DSOT 1986
    Wish You Were Here 1984
    A Momentary Lapse Of Reason 1987 (West German)
    Animals 1986

Also found a few Reggae CDs with "Loch Ness Monster" being the highlight.

Vinyl wise it was quite slim pickings, nothing worth mentioning.

MC Rag and Dave S like this.
  22. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

Considering there are several people going around the boot sale just buying music gear and instruments I was very lucky to even see it let alone get it for a tenner, the reviews for it aren't great, but a brief listen suggests it's got some nice sounds and it's built like a tank, plus if my niece doesn't get on with it I'm sure to make a profit.:D

hamicle likes this.
  23. Dave Gilmour's Cat

Dave Gilmour's Cat Forum Resident

Thanks for your thoughts and for the link. Will investigate. Always good to find a new (to me) catalogue to explore.

24. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

My Air Ambulance shop has been selling them 10 for £1. They had loads although I'm scraping the bottom of the barrel at times. Loving the Jo Ann Kelly comp for 10p.

25. AirJordanFan93

Are they selling them that cheap because they have too many discs or are the discs just really low quality titles.