Chris Robinson's new Black Crowes project

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by cable hogue, Nov 13, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dewiecox

dewiecox Forum Resident

He’s spent so much time cultivating hate, we should t be surprised when it’s directed back at him.

jammincrowe and Matthew Tate like this.
  2. jmorton

jmorton Forum Resident

Possibly two of their finest songs, recorded originally with MFF and performed live for years with him on guitar are represented by Two other guitar players officially. That’s so very Crowes in every way

dixiedixie69 likes this.
  3. Former Lee Warmer

Former Lee Warmer Emotional Rescue

Benji Shanks - Guitar
    Joel Robinow - keys
    Andy Hess - bass
    Tony Leone - drums

And it was about 1000x better than the first edition of ATCF. More chemistry between the players, more nuanced, more organic. Oh and Benji played all of RR's parts in the proper tunings, that made a huge difference.

CR should just make that his new CRB lineup. No lie.

sacsongs and Matthew Tate like this.
  4. Former Lee Warmer

That's why I've been calling them The Very Black Crowes since, oh, Fall 2006 or so...

5. Graham

Graham Senior Member

It’s ego first, then cash.

In 2015, he demanded that Rich take a cut in his share and Gorman relinquish entirely his share of the Crowes. Whether he just wanted to get out of the band or not, a greedy play.

He ridiculed Magpie Salute as a “Black Crowes cover band”, which it wasn’t, and then formed an actual Crowes cover band playing almost exclusively the hits from the early 1990s. It was so transparently a knee jerk reaction to Magpie Salute, which must have hurt his ego as the band has three ex-Crowes, would have had four in Eddie, and five if you include Joe, all getting along.

By employing a bunch of hired guns in ATCF, he can also take the majority of the cash, and do what he wants while playing the hits to nostalgia-seekers. The antithesis of everything he’s ever said he stood for.

So whatever you can or cannot “accept” that’s the situation.

6. TSWisla

TSWisla Forum Resident

I agree with all of that, but I don’t see him getting rich from doing any of this.

7. dixiedixie69

dixiedixie69 Forum Resident

Agree that it was much better than the first line-up.. the 2 guitarists were a lot more laid back in their approach. Marcus/Audley were far too aggressive for me..

Matthew Tate likes this.
  8. cable hogue

cable hogue Forum Resident Thread Starter

It is absolutely a cash grab imo. And hypocritical, of course. This isn't exactly an artistic reinterpretation of the BC songbook.

Chris basically confirmed where his focus is in an ATCF promotional interview when he said, "We did incredible business." And, you know, he's right. It's already been stated here, but as a cash grab, ATCF was/is a success, no doubt.

9. Bob Lamonta

Bob Lamonta Forum Resident

I only caught a couple clips, but agreed that they sound better than the previous ATCF line-up. Audley and Marcus are more virtuosic, but neither sounded good with the Crowes catalogue to my ears. Jackie may not be the most impressive player, but he attacks the song with energy and bite, which is what they need, especially the material from the early 90s. And knowing how close Shanks was to having a Crowes gig over the years, I'm happy for him that he's finally on that stage playing those songs.

CR makes me rolls my eyes with just about every move he makes personally and professionally, but I won't deny that he's still utterly magnetic when he wants to be. I imagine he had an extra kick in his step knowing that everybody on the internet had guns drawn over this past week. If he wanted to come back and rub our noses in how naturally talented he is, mission accomplished. That old faux hippie's still got it. No doubt.

Matthew Tate, jmorton and TSWisla like this.
  10. jmorton

jmorton Forum Resident

In that way I kind of appreciate Rich and Marc going the “this is a real band” way after the 2017 tour. It would have been far easier to tour playing only Crowes material but they chose a different path.

Less financially successful mind you but it seems like they can look themselves in the mirror.

Rockin' Robby and dixiedixie69 like this.
  11. sacsongs

sacsongs Senior Member

I thought the same. I was bored to tears when I saw ATCF v1.

12. dewiecox

dewiecox Forum Resident

The songs themselves sound much better but that’s some serious water treading with the lead guitar playing from both guys. Just absolutely goes no where. That’s a huge thing where an insanely dynamic guitar player like RR is indispensable.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  13. jmorton

jmorton Forum Resident

I think we were spoiled with MFF. Only guitar player to play with Rich in a way that allowed Rich to play like a monster without being overpowered. Cease was good (better guitar player later), Audley didn’t have much space and kinda “over shredded” when the opportunity arose. Luther was more subtle but I thought Rich overpowered him too. Something about Ford’s confidence and technique that demands attention even when Rich is unleashing monster riffs. That’s rare indeed

14. slop101

slop101 Guitar Geek

That is absolutely correct, as far as their PLAYING goes, but Rich has always been way too loud, or louder than the other guitarists to hear them properly, even in the two Magpie shows I've been to, he's almost double Marc's volume, except during the acoustic songs, which is why they shine, because their volume levels match!

Matthew Tate, painted8 and TSWisla like this.
  15. TSWisla

TSWisla Forum Resident

YES!!!!!! x 10000000. Marc is barely audible!

Matthew Tate and painted8 like this.
  16. darkstardew

darkstardew Active Member

The old Robinson family ego strikes again. I feel like Rich is a little less in your face though than CR who sometimes just seems to say ridiculous and offensive things in interviews just because he wants to. I can imagine he is hard to deal with though.

I didn't catch all of it but I liked this new ATCF lineup. Joel seems like he needs to get a little more comfortable with the material, also I don't generally think he plays to crowds that size these days. Shanks was very solid and tasty. I am not a big Jackie Greene fan and didn't like him much on that last Crowes tour but I liked him last night... maybe he's just gotten better/more confident over the years.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  17. LCKilgore

LCKilgore Well-Known Member

Any reports from Chris & Friends last night in Hermosa Beach? Anyone going tonight in Venice?

18. Sully79

Sully79 Forum Resident

Hogg was indecipherable in the last show I saw too, drowned out

19. jmorton

jmorton Forum Resident

The two shows I’ve seen have been loud but Marc wasn’t drowned out...Hogg was low in the mix though.

jammincrowe likes this.
  20. Bonddm

Bonddm Forum Resident

Greg Loiacono, Pete Sears, Berry Sless, Tony Leone and Joel Robinow were reportedly the other musicians.

21. Former Lee Warmer

Any setlist info?

22. TSWisla

TSWisla Forum Resident

Wow, that is great news. They are an awesome bunch, especially Sless!

Former Lee Warmer likes this.
  23. dewiecox

dewiecox Forum Resident

That’s not it. Those guys just played with no thought to what the other was playing or how they fit together. I’ve been listening to the shows I’ve attended over the years for the past couple days and Luther, Marc and even Paul Stacey seem to have much more awareness to what else is going on.

RR no doubt plays loud, but TBC were a loud band. They have to be to keep up with Gorman. I’ve never really noticed a huge disparity between the volumes and I’ve always been close enough to be hammered by stage volume. Ford and Luther are no slouches when it comes slinging the big iron.

The Magpie show I seen was shockingly quiet by comparison.

Last edited: May 5, 2019
    twicks likes this.
  24. Former Lee Warmer

WTF!???

25. dewiecox

dewiecox Forum Resident

Oops!! That’s “no slouches”. They play loud as hell too!!

jammincrowe likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.