Music Matters Definitive Blue Note 45 RPM and 33 & 1/3 RPM vinyl series (pt7)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MilesSmiles, Jun 13, 2014.

1. edo.t

edo.t Forum Resident

Mine had to go back and sadly couldn't be replaced because they just ran out. I'm hoping it gets repressed soon. I really love that one...

jasonsouza77 likes this.
  2. jasonsouza77

jasonsouza77 Vinyl Enthusiast

why did yr copy had to go back?

3. timzigs

timzigs Forum Resident

Guys, for reasons I won’t go into, I need to pick up just one more 45. Which one of these would you recommend....

Like Someone in Love
    Congregation
    Judgment
    Headin South
    Smithville

4. Gabe Walters

Gabe Walters Forum Resident

For me, Judgment in a landslide. But if you’re unfamiliar with it, then you might want to stream it first.

5. UchidaT

UchidaT Forum Resident

Same here: Judgment without a doubt. But Gabe gives good advice, stream it first because it’s less of a traditional hard bop session than the other titles you mentioned. If you’re looking for something more straightforward, Congregation or Like Someone in Love would be my next choices. But do give Judgment a chance, it’s a fantastic session!

NorthNY Mark and timzigs like this.
  6. Morbius

Morbius Forum Resident

I have Like Someone in Love and Judgement and love them both, I wouldn't be able to choose .

AaronW and timzigs like this.
  7. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

The notion that an album’s mastering makes or breaks the music on an album was a foreign concept to me prior to joining this forum, but, hey, what the hell.

ETSEQ, Ben Toscano, DeRosa and 2 others like this.
  8. guidedbyvoices

guidedbyvoices Old Dan's Records

Judgment. Hutcherson and Elvin are an incredible pairing with Hill, and without a horn, they all have a lot of space to stretch out. I love the sound of the MM especially Elvin on this

NorthNY Mark, Morbius and mikeyt like this.
  9. Gabe Walters

Gabe Walters Forum Resident

Not to mention the extraordinary Richard Davis on bass!

10. Gez

Gez Forum Resident

My vote would also be for Judgment - an incredible album.

NorthNY Mark likes this.
  11. jasonsouza77

jasonsouza77 Vinyl Enthusiast

this one :D

12. timzigs

timzigs Forum Resident

Yeah the more I listen to (stream) Judgment, the more I'm appreciating it. Elvin's playing is fabulous, and I get what you mean about space for Hill and Hutcherson. I'll bet the 45 really allows you to experience this too.

I'm going to splurge and pick up both Judgement and Like Someone In Love. The latter has a nice line-up and hearing Blakey in low gear on the mellower tracks is refreshing.

Thanks to everyone for helping me out here. A little surprised there is no love for Headin' South, but I do have Toshiba of this so should be content...for a while anyway :)

Last edited: May 5, 2019
    guidedbyvoices and mikeyt like this.
  13. Bryce

Bryce I drank what?

Judgment is one of the best sounding MMs to my ears. Matched with peerless music. It’s definitely one of them that I play the most.

14. edo.t

edo.t Forum Resident

Bubble in the vinyl that was audible for 5 or 6 revolutions.

jasonsouza77 likes this.
  15. timzigs

timzigs Forum Resident

Interesting. I had the same issue with disc 2 of Gill Melle's Patterns in Jazz. Carol asked me to take photos of the bump which was no easy task. Eventually, she agreed to send me a replacement disc 2 "on my next order" :eek:. That's why I asked for recommendations a few messages up.

Last edited: May 5, 2019
  16. Ugh man I hate hearing this. MMJ should be better than this.

jasonsouza77 and NorthNY Mark like this.
  17. NorthNY Mark

NorthNY Mark Forum Resident

Yeah. Requiring the photo seems reasonable, but requiring another order before they'll replace a clearly defective product? That strikes me as pretty unethical.

Piero likes this.
  18. timzigs

timzigs Forum Resident

I usually try to steer clear from these discussions, but yeah, I was somewhat surprised that I was told to place another order to get the replacement disc. I've reported maybe 2 or 3 defects previously in the 70+ MMJ records I've bought, and those issues were all handled satisfactorily. I did ask for a discount on the shipping, so we'll see what happens with that.

ETSEQ and NorthNY Mark like this.
  19. UchidaT

UchidaT Forum Resident

Is the current status of Music Matters Jazz and their SRX series known? I'm also willing to hear any prophecies or speculation, however ill informed they may be, regarding its future :p. I've had a full shopping cart on their site for a while but haven't had the courage to pull the trigger yet. As I recently mentioned somewhere else, shipping costs to Europe are horrendously high, so I would hate to have to place a different order for the (hypothetical) new titles.

Another reason I'm asking is that I kind of love those SRX because I'm becoming less and less attracted by the 45rpm format. Of course, sound-wise, they are unbeatable, but by the time I head to the turntable to switch to the second LP, I often find myself changing it to a different album altogether. I own many of them of course, but ironically, when it comes to my favorite music, I'm always on the lookout for the best sounding 33rpm available instead.

I had a similar experience with a missing record that they most likely forgot to pack. I accepted to have it shipped in a future order and placed one about six months later. I always assumed they had proceeded like this because it was an overseas shipment, but after reading your post it seems they do so often. On the other hand, I don't think they "require" you to place a new order for the replacement items to be shipped. They just assume you will order again and hope to save on shipping costs. I'm sure that if you were to tell them this was your final order they would find a different solution.

20. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

Nothing that I’ve heard personally. Right at the new year I had a nice conversation with Ron where he hinted at continuing the SRX series pending his assessment of its success and his own energy level and drive to continue with it, but haven’t spoken with him recently and have no idea where he’s at currently. Our very informal conversation and somewhat off the record back in January mentioned more titles, some new, some redo’s of 45 into 33, as well as taking some of the 33’s and doing 45 SRX. Again, this is unofficial, off the record, random conversation that took place between friends, and shouldn’t be treated as me reporting anything of value :)

21. UchidaT

UchidaT Forum Resident

Thank you very much! This is exactly the kind of off the record speculation I was hoping for :p

I will wait a couple of months to see if anything new comes up before placing a new order with them. The Tone Poet and 80th anniversary series will keep me busy enough in the meantime!

22. G E

G E Senior Member

I hope the SRX line is continued and I hope Una Mas is a 33-1/3 release!

Twinsfan007, gov, MikeJedi and 3 others like this.
  23. G E

G E Senior Member

Opened and played "Hoodoo Man Blues" this past Saturday. The record was in great shape and played cleanly. I think there was one pop on Side 1. Definitely a bargain at $57 landed cost.

I'd forgotten how well this was recorded and how good it sounds on a system optimized for vinyl playback (meaning all $$$ went to Turntable, cart, phono pre, tubes and cables - digital removed from chain).

A comment on Free for All SRX: I found a BlueNote reissue in my stacks after I ordered the SRX. Probably from 1970's. I popped it onto the turntable first and played about half a song. It was awful. A surprise considering some of those '70's Blue Note records sound really good. My friend brought over a Freddie Hubbard live recording on a 1970's Blue Note that was superb, not far off a Music Matters Jazz experience.

FfA SRX went on and holy cow! Did it sound great!. Superbly pressed, dead silent, fade down could be heard to an astonishing low level. Then the background goes black between songs. These SRX records are a superb listening experience.

I sure hope they extend the series.

24. DeRosa

DeRosa Vinyl Forever

Una Mas is coming out in the 80th Anniversary series, scheduled for Sept 13.
    Not that there is no chance of a MM reissue, but it seems unlikely.
    PRESENTING THE BLUE NOTE 80 VINYL REISSUE SERIES | News

Greenmonster2420 likes this.
  25. G E

G E Senior Member

Cool! I see Indestructible is also on the list. It's part of the MMJ lineup, perhaps it goes the other way too! Fingers crossed.