Chris Robinson's new Black Crowes project

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by cable hogue, Nov 13, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jmorton

jmorton Forum Resident

Luther never connected with me. Granted I think Ford was TBC’s best guitar player so I am biased...but more than that the era of the band Luther was in represented the Crowes getting a bit quieter and more jammy. Not Luther’s fault at all. Aside from that his style is more suited to alt-country to my ears.

Audley seemed out of place. I think he tried too hard and it came across weird. He’s a good guitar player, just not very “Crowes” to my ear. Jeff Cease became a better guitar player after the Crowes to my ear. Jackie is good and I think he suits ATCF much better than Audley or Marcus. Unfortunately for Jackie he was on what I regard as one if the worst Crowes tours (2013)...it’s not his fault the band was going through the motions and I’m curious to see if he hangs with ATCF longer.

Former Lee Warmer likes this.
  2. Sully79

Sully79 Forum Resident

I always liked Luther when I was at a gig, but when playing sets at home found the lack of variety a bit annoying sometimes - either noodly solos or overdoing the slide; perhaps it was just the lack of proper mix on the audio, as like I say enjoyed him live

jmorton likes this.
  3. JPJs Bass Guitar

JPJs Bass Guitar Forum Resident

I always found Luther unlistenable on the acoustic material more than the electric. Acoustically, such a shrill sound, compared to the softer tone of Marc.

It's a shame, because the band played way more acoustic sets in the Luther years and the recordings are for sale officially.

As a completely random example, listen to the version of Nonfiction from Town Hall 3rd Nov 2008 and then the same song from the Wiser Time single recorded 14th Feb 1995.

The 2008 is good, the 1995 perfection. The difference is the 2nd guitar - in 95 it fits like a velvet glove but in 08 it sets my teeth on edge.

That said, Luther is much more listenable on the material first recorded with him as part of the band as there isn't another reference point available.

Sully79 likes this.
  4. Graham

Graham Senior Member

Time to listen to those 2008 Town Hall sets again. Those and the then-new instrumental Take Off To The Future signalled to me that the Crowes were back, confirmed beyond my expectations with BTF... UTF.

5. Sully79

Sully79 Forum Resident

Gonna have to do that myself- cannot mentally hear Take Off To The Future for the life of me

6. Graham

Graham Senior Member

Filthy, southern-fried space jam that reminds me of Hawkwind.

cable hogue and Sully79 like this.
  7. Sully79

Sully79 Forum Resident

That said though (& I agree btw from similar comparisons), the Luther period was pretty harmonious - should've appreciated that more at the time

8. Graham

Graham Senior Member

This is it. Kicks in at 1.25.

9. Sully79

Sully79 Forum Resident

Great stuff, thanks

Matthew Tate likes this.
  10. WarEagleRK

WarEagleRK Forum Resident

I like Luther in the Crowes more than most on here, but I am also a fan of NMAS. I always found it odd thad during Luther's run in the Crowes he never had a mic for even background vocals.

11. Bonddm

Bonddm Forum Resident

[​IMG]

12. TSWisla

TSWisla Forum Resident

All the CR trashing aside, anyone going to Levon Helm to see the GLR next weekend?! I am!!! I can’t wait! Taking my son!!!

wavethatflag, Graham and Matthew Tate like this.
  13. TSWisla

TSWisla Forum Resident

Fantastic set list!

wavethatflag and Matthew Tate like this.
  14. Robamorican

Robamorican Forum Resident

15. Sully79

Sully79 Forum Resident

16. Former Lee Warmer

Former Lee Warmer Emotional Rescue

Oof. I feel bad for Blink 182 fans...

jmorton and Matthew Tate like this.
  17. jmorton

jmorton Forum Resident

Thought about my reaction to the rampant rumors of last week. Wondering why I hated what SHOULD be a good thing so much. I think I’ve narrowed it down to one simple thing:

I believe that there is a large group of Crowes fans who simply don’t want Marc Ford to drift away from the Crowes universe again. We kind of had a good thing going with TMS and CRB and we could listen to Marc with Rich again. Any Crowes reunion would (likely) mean that Marc won’t be a part of it anymore if the rumors were true.

I suppose it shouldn’t be that way. The Crowes has largely been a legacy act since they stopped recording songs a decade ago. Who cares who is in the touring version of the Crowes then? I guess I’m saying if the Brothers Robinson can reconcile they can play with whomever they choose. It’s just a shame that MFF would be set adrift once again. That’s kind of sad but... it’s also life.

Vinyl_Blues and Matthew Tate like this.
  18. ceddy10165

ceddy10165 My life was saved by rock n roll

For me it’s 3 things...

The Band - the parts made up a greater whole that was larger than the sum. The musicians - and their individual musical personalities - mattered. The results proved that no one piece could really be replaced with out diminishing the whole.

The Song - reverence for musical creation in the moment. Honoring the supreme power of music and it’s history. Treating it with respect and believing it truly does matter.

The Truth - walking the walk. Believing and living what you say. Being believable and truthful. Having some kind of humility and grace. In their way they had it in the day, even if you disagreed or didn’t dig it, they were true to their stated mission. Having CRB doing their thing and Magpie together felt at least like aging with more grace and accepting things move on and leaving the broken past behind, while honoring the good of what had come before. It may not have been to everyone’s taste, but the music of the last few years at least felt accepting of the here and now and a path towards growing older and making music with some grace.

Putting the focus on drama is the greatest disservice to the muse and the things that are worth valuing with this band’s legacy. As a lifelong fan, and one time devout believer, that’s the thing that saddens me the most. The magic that happened on the best of nights has been overshadowed by human shortcoming and absolute carelessness to a great gift that few are visited with.

TBC should be remembered as one of the most righteous torch bearers of rock in the modern age, but a majority of their choices post 96 - 2005 aside - have only served to dull their shine.

19. Sully79

Sully79 Forum Resident

Excellenty put, I guess to peak you have to fall at some point, and as people who are more emotionally involved aside from the music we get involved in the drama element too.

Aside from all that, if you take a step back though, I agree the recorded material, the solo stuff, the offshoot bands & the vast wealth of accessible live archives are something to be grateful for & appreciated every step of the way. I guess which is why virtually every day I listen to a Crowes-related track, been that way for decades.

Vinyl_Blues and jmorton like this.
  20. derreck

derreck Active Member

From social media...

The CRB is pleased to announce we’ll be joined on keys by Pete Sears for our May shows, while Joel Robinow hops aboard for our June and July performances!

Hep Alien, budwhite, Bonddm and 2 others like this.
  21. Former Lee Warmer

Former Lee Warmer Emotional Rescue

That is very cool.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  22. robcar

robcar Forum Resident

I didn’t like it much (a couple of tracks aside) because it had that cheesy “rawk” sound that the best version of the Crowes (the Amorica period) seemed to be above. BYS seemed like they were dumbing down their music and betraying their strengths.

That said, some of the b-sides (“Peace Anyway” for example) were so much better than most of the album tracks.

23. robcar

robcar Forum Resident

I hope this frees up Neal to make more solo albums. I absolutely love his solo work but have never enjoyed him as part of other bands, whether Ryan Adams or CRB. CATS is kinda boring to me. Neal’s a grade-A songsmith; that’s what he should be doing.

jazz_case likes this.
  24. jmorton

jmorton Forum Resident

Pete Sears eh? Nice get for CRB. Joel Robinow is also a good get. Looking forward to seeing what they do.

In Rich Robinson news:

Maker

Robamorican likes this.
  25. Sully79

Sully79 Forum Resident

Saw Maker support Magpie & was pretty impressed - in fact, bought the album that night & it's good; nothing revolutionary but very Crowes-esque - I'm sure this collaboration will be great

jmorton, Robamorican and jazz_case like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.