Jimmy Page says previously unheard Led Zeppelin music will be released for band's 50th anniversary

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bartels76, Dec 19, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

LOL.

nodeerforamonth likes this.
  2. beatleroadie

beatleroadie Forum Resident

Jimmy Page (well an assistant) is very active on Instagram these days. Can a bunch of fans not comment on his posts en masse to try to force some kind of response or statement about 50th Anniversary content?

3. The Trinity

The Trinity Do what thou wilt, so mote be it.

Yup. As desperate fans, we can massage the dates and rationale as much as we feel we need to, to give hope that something more is on the way, but none of that matters.

Led Zeppelin chose the 50th anniversary year as 2018, and it is now done. Anything that gets released down the road is unlikely to be tied to the 2018 campaign. Fortunately, there are many 50th anniversaries still to come: the anniversary of each album, Earls Court, Knebworth, etc. I just caution people not to be seduced into thinking that there is more coming from the 2018 anniversary campaign. By my calculations, the Earls Court Live album will be out in 2005, to commemorate the 50th anniversary of the event. Osaka, if it is to be released at all, and that’s a big “if”, should be out in 2021.

Last edited: May 6, 2019
  4. marcb

marcb Senior Member

What a coincidence...

5. John Rhett Thomas

John Rhett Thomas Forum Resident

I've got a gut feeling that plans to release new music were modified severely after the lawsuit was revived.

6. marcb

marcb Senior Member

Contractual obligation being the key phrase. And it sounded like it. There’s generally a reason unreleased stuff is unreleased.

Fanboys are emotionally invested in a band they like - good, bad or indifferent. The general public and the less obsessed are more discerning.

There are lots of songs and artists I think are the cat’s meow which just don’t really resonate with the broad general public. And that’s okay. If someone thinks Coda is Zep’s finest hour, that’s great. But I not delusional enough to ask why the general public doesn’t hear the greatness I hear when the answer is self-explanatory...most people simply don’t think it’s that good.

For the record, I’m quite a big Zeppelin fan - have been since the 70s. Bought Coda the day it was released and was “meh - nothing to see here”. Not that it necessarily means anything, but that was the reaction of everyone I knew at the time.

But being a big Zep fan I tried to get something from it, but it just wasn’t there for me. IMO, it all sounded like rejected ideas. Now of course it sold a ton of copies; it was Zeppelin when they were still hugely relevent. But it went to the cut-out bins quickly because once the initial wave subsided, there was no buzz; there just wasn’t much there which had broad appeal.

Doggiedogma likes this.
  7. Mook

Mook Forum Resident

The first three tracks on CODA are astounding.

If you're think they're 'meh', I'm not sure what you actually liked about Zeppelin because a lot of it is in there.

8. marcb

marcb Senior Member

Fanboys just never give up trying to convince the world it’s crazy for not hearing what they hear... :whistle:

9. Mook

Mook Forum Resident

If you're throwing insults about I'll just leave you to it.

*goes off to listen to Poor Tom

10. misteranderson

misteranderson Forum Resident

And cooler-than-thou know-it-alls just can't let it go when it's obvious they're bothered by the emotional investment of people they obviously look down on.

11. intv7

intv7 Senior Member

Definitely NOT a fanboy here -- and I happen to think Coda is a fantastic album. Far better than In Through The Out Door. I agree that "We're Gonna Groove" is incredible.

So why was it in the cutout bins? Maybe because Atlantic overestimated the demand for a contractual obligation album of outtakes in the early '80s from a '70s band who'd been defunct for two years, and was already regarded as past its prime when it ended. Just because something went into overstock doesn't mean it wasn't great.

12. marcb

marcb Senior Member

Okay, you’ve got me. It is truly a mystery why We’re Gonna Groove didn’t get more airplay. Usually songs people want to hear got all of the airplay.

13. Mr. Nastey

Mr. Nastey Forum Resident

Makes total sense. Or he's busy fighting with Robbie Williams and the other neighbor. Or he's busy releasing replica guitars. Plant is on tour and probably doesn't care about revisiting Zeppelin stuff.
    I suspected that somewhere along the way, one of the members vetoed something after initially agreeing to it. With all the talk of Jimmy's solo album, I don't put much stock in anything Mr. Page talks about anymore.

14. marcb

marcb Senior Member

Glad you like it. I have no doubt you’re not the only one.

No doubt they overestimated demand. But demand isn’t some mysterious unexplainable force. It’s the market voting with its collective wallet.

15. misteranderson

No, no, you're wrong, 'cos marcb said so! And you're a fanboy, whether you like it or not.

Shvartze Shabbos and intv7 like this.
  16. Judge Judy

Judge Judy Forum Resident

For me personally, I like the songs on Coda just fine, it just never occurs to me to listen to it. I did , however, think that of all the Super Deluxe boxes, it was hands down the best one of the entire series.

17. JoeF.

JoeF. Forum Resident

"There’s generally a reason unreleased stuff is unreleased."

This is true of most artists , not just Led Zeppelin . The idea that many bands have first-rate, pristine recordings of unheard tracks lying in a vault somewhere is a myth. Sure, there might be interesting demos or jams--or alternates or mixes. But it's a better than 95% certainty that anything really good would have ended up on an album when it was recorded.

There are few exceptions.

marcb likes this.
  18. misteranderson

I don't think the Stairway/Spirit thing has any bearing on what was supposed to come out last year, this year, or whenever.

19. marcb

marcb Senior Member

No, a fanboy is puzzled and maybe even annoyed most of the rest of the world doesn’t think that much of it.

My opinion of Coda, in itself, is meaningless. However it’s almost certainly more reflective of the generally held opinion of the album than the view of folks getting irrationally upset here because of an opposing view.

20. june72

june72 Well-Known Member

I don't know why, but if I had a gun to my head I would still bet on a "musical product" of some kind being released before the end of 2019. Be it remastered DVD to Blu Ray, new live stuff on CD/vinyl format, Earls Court audio, etc etc.

There is money to be made on this 50th anniversary, and clearly there was something that was at least seriously in the works at one point not long ago.

To those who have a stake in this, they know what butters their bread. It's no secret that the music-buying public is waiting to fork over money for a "new" Zeppelin release.

21. marcb

marcb Senior Member

Thank you. I’m under no illusion my statement was profound. It was just stating the obvious.

22. marcb

marcb Senior Member

Not a super high bar but I would probably agree.

23. JoeF.

JoeF. Forum Resident

True, but when it comes to "anniversaries", in the music business--unlike marriage--it doesn't have to be that specific. They could put it out next year and still call it an "anniversary edition."

24. june72

june72 Well-Known Member

Maybe, but they'd kind of look silly doing that.

While in 2019 they can claim that "Oct 2018 is when the 50th anniversary began." Which, by the way, is kind of what their official announcements via Twitter/Facebook have been alluding to.

25. misteranderson

Yep. Thanks. Bye.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.