New Springsteen Album "Western Stars" June 14*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by FingerPickin'Triumph, Apr 22, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Syscrusher

Syscrusher Forum Resident

Should've released Western Stars in 2016, then he could do this new album now while it's current. That River nostalgia tour he did instead of releasing an album of new material was a total waste in my opinion. Mind you so was the whole Broadway thing.
    Take a tip from Uncle Neil, new stuff should always come before old stuff.

Jimmy B., The MEZ and walrus like this.
  2. FingerPickin'Triumph

FingerPickin'Triumph Forum Resident Thread Starter

Would you consider Wrecking Ball a solo record or E Street? It is hard to imagine an E Street band album that is down the middle "rock 'n' roll"... or as some fans pine for - that '78 sound.

budwhite likes this.
  3. mhvbear

mhvbear Senior Member

"The whole Broadway thing" took in excess of $107 million at the box office and $20 million from Netflix. Forbes predicted that Springsteen pocketed 90%.

max4334, dee, 905 and 5 others like this.
  4. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

Yeah, definitely passing on the vinyl for this. I was way too lazy to play Wrecking Ball more than once or twice on LP, especially since with all that 2LP space, they couldn't even be arsed enough to put the two bonus tracks on side 4.

51 minutes is pushing it, but I've heard plenty of nice LP cuts that are around that length (including Tunnel Of Love).

I'm keeping an open mind to this record, but I generally feel 100% the opposite of this post. :laugh:

JAuz and Purple like this.
  5. maccawings

maccawings Senior Member

The Broadway thing was amazing!

dtuck90 likes this.
  6. dtuck90

dtuck90 Forum Resident

As someone that could only be described as a casual Bruce fan I found the album captivating

905 and The MEZ like this.
  7. maccawings

maccawings Senior Member

The actual show itself was mesmerizing in person!

The MEZ and Daryl M like this.
  8. floyd

floyd Senior Member

I wish when they have an album that is in the 50 minute range and the decide to put it on 2 vinyl records they would bump it up to 45rpm you are getting up to change the discs the same.
    Also these albums where they only have 3 sides and then an etching if the sound quality would be improved go to 45

OptimisticGoat, DavidD and dtuck90 like this.
  9. Dbstay

Dbstay Senior Member

Listened to the new song. I loved it! Hope the rest of the album has the same quality.

dee, The MEZ, DavidD and 1 other person like this.
  10. graveyardboots

graveyardboots Resident Patient

Wrecking Ball is a solo record although some members of The E Street Band appear on a track or two here and there (a la Tunnel of Love). The last full bore E Street album of new original material was Working on a Dream (2009).

The MEZ likes this.
  11. FingerPickin'Triumph

Curious how the making of Working on a Dream was any different that any album Springsteen has made with the E Street Band since Born in the USA.... seems like each member is used in selective ways sporadically over various tracks... doesn't seem like there is much collaboration let alone the band cutting tracks together in the studio as a band. It does seem like Wrecking Ball was more a solo album then Working on a Dream.. but only by degrees...

12. He'll "tire" of your question.

13. I think I feel my depression returning :hurl:

14. Why do people do that In these kind of videos? I agree with you.

LaserKen likes this.
  15. graveyardboots

graveyardboots Resident Patient

Tunnel of Love was a home demo in which Springsteen recorded the entire thing himself (i.e. Bruce on all instruments). Members of The E Street Band were selectively brought in to add color to a track here and there. At least with The Rising, Magic and Working on a Dream, the core of the band (Garry, Max and, frequently, Roy) joined Springsteen to record the basic tracks as a unit, then the rest of the band were brought in, as each song dictated, to add their parts. Wrecking Ball may not have employed a dramatically different approach but the personnel for that album is indeed different, as Springsteen partnered with Ron Aniello for most instruments and he used (if I recall) at least four different drummers. Some key members of the band, particularly Garry and Roy (two guys who typically comprised the core of the band for the basic recordings of the three post reunion E Street albums) don't appear on Wrecking Ball at all and Steve Van Zandt lends only backing vocals to one or two tracks.

16. FingerPickin'Triumph

Thanks @graveyardboots that was helpful in terms of distinguishing between records - how Bruce approached each and what core members if any played what roles. Would love to here Magic demos with that core group of Garry, Max, Roy.

graveyardboots likes this.
  17. FingerPickin'Triumph

18. DavidD

DavidD Forum Resident

That was enough to have me pre-order the album on Amazon a couple days ago ;). This is the first Springsteen album I've really anticipated hearing in literally decades (since Tunnel Of Love).

19. DavidD

DavidD Forum Resident

I can easily feel this song fitting into the theme of an album, as most of his classics do (Darkness is a perfect example).

And I hear an aging Johnny Cash perspective bleeding through on this song, too. His voice does not come across as affected either, but more sincere than it has been in a long time.

dee and Mfj55 like this.
  20. Dr. Zoom

Dr. Zoom Forum Resident

The days of assembling the band on the studio floor and playing as an ensemble (a la The River) have been over for a long time. Most of his post BUSA records have essentially been solo records with various players brought in to add color. This is the method he seems to prefer. Fewer cooks in the kitchen.

Jacline and graveyardboots like this.
  21. chickendinna

chickendinna Homegrown’s All Right With Me

I'm really digging the song. I have high hopes for the album. It's been awhile since I've been in love with a new Springsteen album.

J_D__ likes this.
  22. FingerPickin'Triumph

New @Springsteen twitter image... gotta be for a music video ... either that or Western Stars 2020 calendar: [​IMG]

23. DavidD

DavidD Forum Resident

Despite all his success, this ongoing, gratuitous self-promotion leaves a bad taste in my mouth. Such a shame his insecurity trumps the talent at times. Maybe that's the price we pay.

Jacline, daveidmarx and Jimmy B. like this.
  24. Dr. Zoom

Dr. Zoom Forum Resident

Its the world we live in in 2019.
    Image image image.

Jacline and J_D__ like this.
  25. FingerPickin'Triumph

I understand your sentiment... to see legends a). thinking they can still have "hits" b) thinking that the way they stay relevant is by having "hits"... I do think being critical of artists using twitter to promote on ..is a little like being critical of an artist making a music video in the early '80s... it is part of the times and part of the music biz. I really don't fault him for being on twitter.

I just hope that wanting "hits" and relevancy by having "hits" is something he has forgone and instead simply focused on making great music no matter the size of the audience or the number clicks, memes, and other digital dust of the millennial age.

OptimisticGoat and JoeF. like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.