Spider-Man: Far From Home

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by BeatleJWOL, Jan 15, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

When did Aunt May become a Milf?

2. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

This is Earth-199999! On Earth-616 Aunt May is still a white haired old lady (although possibly still attractive to a certain demographic of degenerates).

Something tells me the addition of multi-verse business in the films is going to make my head hurt worse than it already does.

GodShifter and BeatleJWOL like this.
  3. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

We're they fighting the Absorbing Man!?

4. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

Looks like Bubble Boy, to me!
    [​IMG]

5. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Well, it's not that impossible that the Aunt of a 16/17-year-old kid would be 54 years old (the actual age of Marisa Tomei). You figure Peter Parker's dead parents -- who were not explained in the original 1960s comic -- were most likely 30 or 40 at the most.

Sally Field, the previous Aunt May, was around 66 when she in the films, and I believe she still had (mostly) dark hair. On the other hand, then there's this:

Marisa Tomei Was Crushed to Learn Aunt May's Real Age in Spider-Man

Chrome_Head likes this.
  6. alexpop

Silver age comic she looked about 80.
    Did MCU Aunty May have a fling with Tony Stark?

7. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Apparently, things have changed.

8. HiredGoon

HiredGoon Forum Resident

Got my fingers crossed that this new Spiderdude moofie starts immediately after the last one, with a hearty "-uck?" from Aunt May.

--Geoff

Chrome_Head and BeatleJWOL like this.
  9. alexpop

She was very effective in The Wrestler.

Chris DeVoe and Daniel Plainview like this.
  10. alexpop

Is Aunty May in the new Spider-Man: Far From Home movie. Tony Stark should have gave her a outfit.

Last edited: May 9, 2019
  11. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

I think he did.

[​IMG]

Chrome_Head, MPLRecords and alexpop like this.
  12. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

Reviews are very positive so far.

[​IMG]

Chrome_Head and SandAndGlass like this.
  13. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

SandAndGlass and Deuce66 like this.
  14. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

Of course it's possible. An Aunt of mine is 19 years older than me.

15. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Chrome_Head and SandAndGlass like this.
  16. misterbozz

misterbozz Senior Member

Came out here Friday - solid Marvel flick, they find an interesting way to retrofit (in a way) Mysterio into the MCU.
    I preferred it to Homecoming quite a bit. Definitely stay for the post credits scenes!

Chrome_Head and Chris DeVoe like this.
  17. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

I didn't bother seeing Captain Marvel or Avengers: Endgame, but I'm looking forward to this. I liked Homecoming. The Avengers movies just seem too overstuffed at this point.

18. Boomy

Boomy Senior Member

It may seem that way, but they aren’t.
    I’m also looking forward to this movie!!

19. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

My wife and I did a double feature of Avengers: Endgame and Spider-Man: Far From Home. We didn't enjoy this as much as Spider-Man: Homecoming or the animated film, Spider-Man: Into The Spider-Verse.

Definitely enjoyable and fun but nothing incredibly special.

20. Chrome_Head

Chrome_Head Planetary Resident

Well, Spider-Man is my favorite character of all time, so bear with me here--spoilers abound as well:

I LOVED THIS MOVIE, SO good.

After a slightly clunky but humorous intro which explains what happened to the people Thanos snapped (they call it "the blip" for people who were snapped and returned, and also explains why the kids are still in High School age or how some aged up), we're off on the class school trip to Europe. One thing I appreciated here: after everything that happened in IW/Endgame, Peter just wants to relax (and get close to Zendaya's MJ). Of course, "Fury" has other plans--which creates the classic Parker responsibility dilemma. The first third to the first half of the movie is a bit cutesy and focuses very much on Peter's classmate cast, but it's funny and effective.

Mysterio--wow, done very well I thought—huge threat and very trippy—everything I hoped the villain would someday be onscreen (Jake G is great here). The big info dump explaining how and why Quentin Beck was doing everything was hammy, but QB is a hammy guy, so it worked. Also loved Mysterio's line, "the foolish are easily fooled". Beck was every bit the threat Michael Keaton's Vulture was in the proceeding film, if not far more, and it was great.

What of Peter / Spidey himself? I hope this is the movie where Peter begins to step out of Stark's shadow--that sure seems like what they're hinting at (what'd you think of corpse Iron Man btw?). Still too much Tony Stark gadgety crap here, but they use it in the plot so it had its place.

I'm not sure why Peter's "Peter Tingle" as May calls it (a very funny and sexy Marisa Tomei) isn't working, but it's used to great effect later in the movie. Tom Holland is very good here, and he and Zendaya have real chemistry onscreen that I felt. Zendaya I like a lot, and they seem to also be hinting that they're going to evolve her out of "Daria" MJ after this. I hope they do.

The first after credits scene is wonderful, do you want to be spoiled as to what it contains?
    [​IMG]

It's a scene that also contains one hell of a cliffhanger. Wonder where that's going to go? The actual post-credits stinger isn't a punk for once, or setting up the next movie, it actually pays off something in the story we just watched for what seems like one of the first times.

Night Monkey. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I also noticed that the scene from the trailers, when Spider-Man webs up the crooks and tells the cops "I've got to do your job" didn't appear in this cut of the film at all.

I enjoyed the first film quite a bit, but this one surpasses it in every way. Can't wait to see what's in store for the third film, and which villain they're going to use.

I give this an 'A'. This is a great Spider-Man film.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2019
  21. Chrome_Head

Chrome_Head Planetary Resident

Through Mysterio, they actually establish here that this is the world of the "616", but
    I guess that could be BS given what his character does

22. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

Another solid MARVEL movie.

Still liked Into the Spider-Verse better.

Chrome_Head and Chris DeVoe like this.
  23. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

Not bad.
    I wouldn't mind seeing a "Favreau/Jackson" spin-off movie!
    THAT never happened in the comics, did it?

24. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

I saw this a couple of days ago with my family. Having not seen the first one or the last two Avengers, a bit of the context was lost on me, but I shook that off pretty quickly as I remember Mysterio from when I used to read Marvel titles. It was an enjoyable movie all in all, but I find I'm not the fan of super hero movies like I used to be. My wife asked me leaving the theater (after griping a bit) which was the last one I really enjoyed and I had to think. Shamefully, all I could come up with was "Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice". :hide:

Yeah, yeah, I know.

25. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Saw it today and didn't hate it, didn't love it. It's OK, but not a lot more than that for me. I think the film is basically what critics commented: it's a teenage romcom with occasional superhero moments. My problem with the film is it had a lot of expected stereotypical plot elements we could see coming from a mile away, so there's not a lot new here. I think the cast tries very hard and is very earnest -- in particular, Jon Favreau has more to do in this one film than he has in every Iron Man movie combined -- but there's not much else going on. I think the European locations are basically a distraction to try to convince us that this is a new story, but I think it's window dressing.

Warning: do not leave the theater during the credits, because there's a major reveal that will, shall we say, shake up this part of the Marvel Universe.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.