Black Sabbath Paranoid Best Vinyl Pressing

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Neilson77, Jan 29, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Leonthepro

Leonthepro Skeptically Optimistic

I would just like to add that if you evaluate the sound of an older release you should be somewhat cautious. The "Muddy" sound that some report might be a result of groove wear because the record has been played on a bad system with possible improper set up over the years. If you are not the first owner or dont know the records past then be aware of this possibility when you compare to other releases.

What I have taken away from reading this thread is that 3 releases are valid purchase options depending on your needs.

1. The original Vertigo label for as close to the source as possible but hard to find in good condition at an equally good price

2. The later Spaceship labels which used the same or similar stampers with 6360011 1Y and 2Y runouts for similar sound quality but much reduced prices

3. The 2006 Kevin Grey Rhino reissue for the best Sound per Condition ratio, where you can find it cheap and new in Mint condition easily but with somewhat reduced sound quality

4. Throw in the 2016 QRP for good measure as well, they usually do good stuff

Last edited: Nov 15, 2017
    latheofheaven and musictoad like this.
  2. Echoes Myron

Echoes Myron Forum Resident

Just scored a UK NEMS Paranoid with WWA matrix scratched out.

I have not yet heard a Vertigo (I only have a green label Warner, tan Warner, and the recent blue vinyl) but this is a powerful and hot cut. Very clear and punchy. Loving it.

RogerE, latheofheaven, KipB and 2 others like this.
  3. Scott6

Scott6 Forum Resident

4. Leonthepro

Leonthepro Skeptically Optimistic

5. musictoad

musictoad Forum Resident

I have found a WWA copy for a reasonable price but need help identifying whether this has the original stampers. Here is the deadwax info:

side1 6360011 1y//2 420
    side2 63wwa007 63600112y// 420

It comes close to matching the Vertigo but not exactly. Not sure if there are only specific numbers that are more important...

Can someone help?

6. sathvyre

sathvyre formerly known as ABBAmaniac

I am sure that pressing was made from the original stampers. Does the side 2 63wwa... number has a different font style ?

musictoad likes this.
  7. musictoad

musictoad Forum Resident

Ok that's great news! I found it online, I just had the seller send me the deadwax info so I'm not sure about the font.

Out of curiosity, what part makes you sure they are from the original stampers since they don't match exactly?

8. sathvyre

The 1Y numbers were used by VERTIGO only, same for the 420 country code after the "//" symbols.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2019
  9. musictoad

musictoad Forum Resident

You rock. Thanks a ton!

latheofheaven likes this.
  10. sathvyre

Buy it !!!
    Besides my VERTIGO Spaceship pressing of MASTER OF REALITY, I also own a WWA pressing, made from the VERTIGO stampers (with the Y- and // matrixes). They sound the same.

11. musictoad

musictoad Forum Resident

Just ordered it! Can't wait to hear it. Unfortunately it's shipping from Europe so it'll be a while.

12. sathvyre

What did you pay ? What about the condition ?

13. slop101

slop101 Guitar Geek

I have a fairly recent (couple years) colored vinyl - how's that supposed to rate?
    (either way, it sounds pretty good to me)

14. musictoad

musictoad Forum Resident

With shipping and currency conversion it came to $50 total. VG+ both sleeve and media.

15. sathvyre

Ufff...that is a lot of money, but I hope you will receive a really nice copy !!!

16. musictoad

musictoad Forum Resident

You think? Seems about the average price for that pressing. It's the shipping that hurts but you just aren't gonna find these here in the US without monk-like patience. I expect pretty great condition graded at VG+.

Shawn likes this.
  17. sathvyre

Sure, the shipping costs became much more expensive since January 2019...I wish you all the best with your copy !!!

18. Echoes Myron

Echoes Myron Forum Resident

I like it. Crisp and clear. I don't have a Vertigo (yet) though.

19. tjannace

tjannace Well-Known Member

i can't afford an original press, but hows the 2016 rhino? and hows the 2012 remaster from quality records?

20. monte4

monte4 Senior Member

I have the 2016 Rhino reissue and it is nothing to write home about.

21. tjannace

damn

22. monte4

monte4 Senior Member

That's what I said after I listened to it :(

23. musictoad

musictoad Forum Resident

I got it yesterday and it wasn't VG+ condition due to being covered in hairlines and some writing on the inside of the gatefold. Fortunately the seller granted me a partial refund. All in all I got original Vertigo stampers for under $40 shipped from Europe so I'm pretty happy.

But most importantly, I listened on headphones yesterday and it sounds really great! Bill Ward's snare about pierced through me multiple times. Lots of space around the instruments. Everything super clear and crisp and punchy. Just incredible. I think I'll be able to listen through my speakers today (my upstairs neighbor is gone :D) and I cannot wait to hear it in it's full glory.

So now I've got copies of Paranoid, Vol. 4, and Sabbath Bloody Sabbath which I'm very happy about. Now on to get the other half of the first six Ozzy albums...

24. tjannace

are they all vertigo 1st press?

25. sathvyre

I am very glad that you like that pressing !!!
    For the other albums, you have some options. I really love the french VERTIGO pressing of the debut album !!! There is also a 70s NEMS pressing available that sounds amazing (with gatefold cover).
    For MASTER OF REALITY either search for a UK pressing (swirl or spaceship) or a WWA pressing with VERTIGO stampers. I never liked the german pressing (sounds too dark and has additional gaps between the tracks). If you want, please write a message to me, I have an idea where you can probably get one copy of the UK spaceship pressing in box cover (unfortunately without the poster).
    For SABOTAGE you can search for the NEMS 1st pressing. Another and very similar-sounding version is the 1987 VERTIGO pressing from Holland:

Black Sabbath - Sabotage

This one is amazing !!! Sounds like the original NEMS LP, but better vinyl and pressing quality !!! USA WARNER pressings should also sound nice for that album.

Rega p6 and musictoad like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.