Woodstock 50 is officially **OFF**!*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Nomadicarchivist, Nov 29, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hammr7

hammr7 Forum Resident

You need only look at Phish's attempted festival last year at Watkins Glen. It was cancelled not because of the race track facilities, but because of flooding (from a week of heavy rain) in the surrounding areas which compromised the drinking water and sewage systems. No good for a bunch of people partying while so many locals were in such dire straits. Because of that, my guess is that cancellation insurance became way too expensive, and no smart money wanted to invest in the Woodstock 50 project unless it could be insured.

All Down The Line likes this.
  2. aroney

aroney Who really gives a...?

This just in from Michael Lang:

Dear Woodstock Friends

It seems in a way that history is repeating itself. In July of 1969 we lost our site in Walkill and with only a month to go we managed to move to Bethel. Woodstock was going to happen no matter what!

This time around, Woodstock’s new hometown, Dix & Watkins Glen, NY and New York State have been really wonderful. I went door to door to talk to the neighbors. Some remembered Summer Jam back in ’73 and were worried about history repeating itself. But they opened their doors to us and we talked it out. Many of those people have reached out over the last 24 hours with messages of hope and encouragement.

The venue, Watkins Glen International, have been totally supportive and professional.

Yesterday, our financial partner, Dentsu-Aegis, made the decision to pull out and informed us that they were cancelling the festival at the same time they let the press release go public.

We have yet to understand why they would try to prevent the festival from happening by seemingly undermining us in this way. It is one thing to decide for oneself that it is best to move on, but it is entirely another thing to try and close the door on us.

Yesterday, I couldn’t help but relive that moment 50 years ago – it was “ déjà vu all over again”!
    Supporting the principles of activism and sustainability are too important to be derailed by shortsighted partners.

We continue our work with NYS, Schuyler County and various parties to keep things on track.

Woodstock never belonged to Dentsu, so they don’t have a right to cancel it.
    Woodstock belongs to the people and it always will.

We don’t give up and Woodstock 50 will take place and will be a blast!

Thanks for Listening, Michael

wbhendrix likes this.
  3. Danby Delight

Danby Delight Forum Resident

Not mentioned in that letter: where the money is coming from now.

Hm.

It's over, Lang. Deal with it.

4. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

I thought that rain would pose no problem to Phish?

Rich C and dprokopy like this.
  5. footlooseman

footlooseman Forum Resident

no rain clause

6. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

Is there a Santa One?

boggs and footlooseman like this.
  7. Nomadicarchivist

Nomadicarchivist Forum Resident Thread Starter

Sorry Haters.. It’s back on!! Now I have no plans to attend mind you (I will be in Bethel) but I cannot understand the hateraid being spewed about the event. The whole “It won’t be anything like the original” talking point deserves the DUH of the year award.. Don’t get me wrong, I’m not crazy about the Watkins Glen Bill, however to say that ANY other festival carrying its name is somehow blasphemous is misguided. Case in point: “Woodstock 94.”

Woodstock 94 had an AWESOME lineup: Traffic, The Band, Bob Dylan, Aerosmith, Metallica, Peter Gabriel, Joe Cocker, CSN, John Sebastian, Hot Tuna, Roger Mcguinn, Bob Weir, Country Joe, The Allman Brothers, Paul Rodgers with Free bassist Andy Frasier and Slash, Neville Brothers, Santana etc etc etc. Simply put, 94’ was THE greatest festival of its era!!

Woodstock 50 will not eclipse either, but let’s settle down on the hateraid

8. JFS3

JFS3 Senior Member

Funny how it's so much more fun to play when it's other people's money, isn't it?

Benn Kempster likes this.
  9. blehman

blehman Forum Resident

10. sixtieswerebest

sixtieswerebest Forum Resident

94 did have an awesome line up. This one doesn't.

Nomadicarchivist likes this.
  11. Christian Hill

Christian Hill It's all in the mind

Hate?

You project your insecurities on others and then criticize them for it.

12. melstapler

melstapler Reissue Activist

It's a shame they didn't get The Dickies or Tommy James & The Shondells to perform at Woodstock 50.

Hep Alien likes this.
  13. Nomadicarchivist

LOL

14. Nomadicarchivist

Agreed

longdist01 and Michael like this.
  15. fenderesq

fenderesq In Brooklyn It's The Blues / Heavy Bass 7-7

All I can say is Oy Vey!

16. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

agreed...mostly terrible.

All Down The Line likes this.
  17. Christian Hill

Judge rules organizers “[fall] woefully short” of proving that Dentsu Aegis subsidiary Amplifi should return $17.8 million to put on festival

For the beleaguered three-day event, scheduled for August in Watkins Glen, New York, there was good news and iffy news on Wednesday. Woodstock LLC, the organizers of the festival, had filed a petition for an injunction against Dentsu Aegis, the Japanese advertising and marketing company that was initially going to finance the festival but pulled out (and declared it canceled) on April 29th. In its legal filing, the organizers were seeking, in large part, to have nearly $18 million in Dentsu festival funds returned to them.

18. sixtieswerebest

sixtieswerebest Forum Resident

Good luck with that one!

Christian Hill likes this.
  19. nicotinecaffeine

nicotinecaffeine Forum Resident

blehman likes this.
  20. tdcrjeff

tdcrjeff Senior Member

Woodstock 50 Is Back on Amid Financial Disputes

Judge ruled that Amplifi Live couldn't unilaterally cancel the event, but that hardly leads to the overly optimistic title of this piece.

21. Christian Hill

Without financing it is as good as cancelled. Lang doesn't even have the correct permits yet.

22. MRamble

MRamble Forum Resident

mark winstanley and Elliottmarx like this.
  23. KDubATX

KDubATX A Darby Man Never Says When

Skeptical, but will be curious to see.

Elliottmarx likes this.
  24. Wes_in_va

Wes_in_va Trying to live up to my dog’s expectations

I just can’t imagine that this is going to turn out well...but I hope I’m wrong.

Elliottmarx likes this.
  25. Say It Right

Say It Right Not for the Hearing Impaired

Yeah, pretty soon 60+ year old former hippies will be back spouting off about the counterculture.

Sneaky Pete, astro70, hutlock and 2 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.