Patrick Stewart to Reprise 'Star Trek' Role in New 'Star Trek Picard' Series*

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by dirwuf, Aug 4, 2018.

1. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

Alright.
    I really like the first reboot movie. The two others not that much

2. BeatlesObsessive

BeatlesObsessive The Earl of Sandwich Ness

True...though if the Tarantino-isms are kept to a dull roar his other trademark of interesting time shifts and alternate perspectives out of sequence could be fascinating. If not Star Trek I'd love to see him do something with the Gary 7/Assignment: Earth idea!

3. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Ha, ha, ha, he's despised by the vast majority of long standing fans of Star Trek (ie, those that enjoy watching the TOS, TNG, DS9, Voyager and even Enterprise series multiple times over the years). JJ Trek & STD are made for people who don't really like Trek but are impressed with shiny vfx and pew-pew action.
    Darmok, when the wallets closed up!

canonlon and Strat-Mangler like this.
  4. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

Very small? Says who? All ST fans I've read feedback from all loathe the films and I agree with them.

They did not look nor felt like ST and I suspect this new series will very much have a presentation and delivery that will be equally jarring to what we were used to. If I want to see a slick action movie with lots of jump cuts, that's what I'll watch. You might enjoy it but it most definitely is NOT what ST is about.

Deesky and budwhite like this.
  5. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

I doubt that a vast majority of Star Trek fans despise him. Don't you think that's a bit extreme? Why would you despise someone whose work you're not a fan of? The vast majority of long-standing Star Trek fans either don't know who Alex Kurtzman is or are indifferent to him. Most certainly do not despise him.

The intention of my statement was that he, Alex Kurtzman, is loathed by a small contingent of Star Trek fans that didn't like the reboot films, not a small contingent of Star Trek fans didn't like the reboot films. My statement was specifically about how fans feel about Alex Kurtzman, and as I stated above, I doubt that many know who he is, and most of those who do are probably indifferent to him.

budwhite likes this.
  6. 5th-beatle

5th-beatle Forum Resident

Fascinating.

Encuentro likes this.
  7. budwhite

sunspot42 likes this.
  8. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Insider leaks report that production has been put on hold, so the show isn't yet a certainty. In fact, things have been suspended till April and this includes STD. Things are in a state of flux currently...

9. budwhite

There is always trouble in Star Trek land.
    Get it together people. And Stewart is pushing 80. We don't know how long he is staying healthy.

10. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

No idea why that would be a plus as far as the content is concerned.

Cost-cutting location would leave more budget for everything else from set design to wardrobe to special effects.

11. budwhite

I like Star Trek when it's on location. Filming in Toronto during the winter doesn't have much variation in terms of nature.

That was a weakness with Discovery. They did like five shows in the mirror universe but they just stayed on the ships...

12. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

I'd rather stay on the ships than go outside...cold out there...

13. Meng

Meng Forum Resident

What utter nonsense. I am a Trek fan from way back and love STD, as do many others.

14. Meng

Meng Forum Resident

Er, no they didn't. You were clearly watching a different series to me.

marmalade166 and BeatleJWOL like this.
  15. budwhite

Clearly

16. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

The only trouble I see in Star Trek land is that Discovery only has nine more episodes until the season ends, and then it's a long wait until Season 3. Hopefully we'll get Picard or the animated series in the interim.

BeatleJWOL and Encuentro like this.
  17. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Senior Member

Stop watching Midnight's Edge.

18. budwhite

19. boyjohn

boyjohn Senior Member

Thanks for that, I don't follow this stuff that closely so I didn't even know about the Rick and Morty guy doing a ST show.....maybe i'll keep my CBS All Access sub for awhile.

Frakes direction is usually pretty good, especially if it's a good script.

20. Whizz Kid

Whizz Kid Forum Resident

(Cough!) Thunderbirds... :hide:

21. boyjohn

boyjohn Senior Member

Haha, well to be fair I think there were other issues with that than the direction

Simon A and wayneklein like this.
  22. No, ST : D is made for long time Trek fans (since 1966) with open minds as well as new fans (something that all incarnations of Trek also did at some point) and who like to see avoiding the tropes of past shows where possible.

Without new fans, Trek series die.

The shiny effects are nice to have to be sure giving the show scope. It also wasn't like Trek previously didn't have action. Each ST series is representative and reflective of the era they were born into.

The only bad Trek were some of the heavy handed episodes in the original series, Next Gen's first season (although there were occasional glimmers of hope) and the first season of Enterprise. DS9 season one just took a while to get going and is probably among the weakest season.
    Even the Animated series had its fair share of clunkers (and I hated that they didn't use the original music).

There have been great, good and bad Trek movies, TV episodes, seasons. Are you even watching Discovery any more?

Last edited: Feb 27, 2019
    marmalade166 and BeatleJWOL like this.
  23. A bottle series!

24. I liked the second until they shoe horned Khan in. It would have been better if he was an original character. The Abrams films focus as much on events in the past or references to the new series. The scene where Spock loses it didn't work. The film hadn't earned nor had the characters yet.

Encuentro likes this.
  25. budwhite

No production pics? They have been filming for a couple of weeks now I think