50th Anniversary all things Beatles White Album

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by tinnox, Feb 8, 2018.

1. mercuryvenus

mercuryvenus Forum Resident

Thanks for this! I will stop trying to replicate the sound with my guitar going straight through an amp and then feeling inadequate. :D

2. Isaac Azimuth

Isaac Azimuth Forum Resident

Wouldn't we have heard that fact for sure by now, though? Yoko, after all, HAS gotten full credit for her known appearances.
    Like with "Long Long Long's" vocal "ghost," the idea that the WMGGW "saw" may be Harrison's voice is far weirder, and, to me, a much more pleasing answer!

Jeff

tinnox likes this.
  3. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

I think it's Clapton's guitar through a Leslie speaker, no?

4. gibtti

gibtti Forum Resident

It’s Paul doing the high harmony.
    Does sound a bit unworldly at points.
    Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeps.....

Chris

tinnox, Wingsfan2012 and Onder like this.
  5. revolution_vanderbilt

revolution_vanderbilt Forum Resident

I always thought it was a guitar, but I believe it was @Onder who made the case that it's Paul's voice, and I'm convinced.

tinnox and Onder like this.
  6. Gems-A-Bems

Gems-A-Bems Forum Resident

It’s always Paul’s voice. :bdance:

tinnox and goer like this.
  7. John DeAngelis

John DeAngelis Senior Member

Not a Leslie. After the guitar was recorded, they put it through a voltage regulator.

seacliffe301 and tinnox like this.
  8. Wingsfan2012

Wingsfan2012 Forum Resident

Page 1400 of thread is "Coming Up"!

tinnox likes this.
  9. Wingsfan2012

Wingsfan2012 Forum Resident

Macca's harmony and piano adds so much to that song.

10. John DeAngelis

John DeAngelis Senior Member

His bass playing on that song is also great! Chicago turned it into "25 or 6 to 4".

Lownote30 and tinnox like this.
  11. sixtieswerebest

sixtieswerebest Forum Resident

These disks weren't remastered any different for Japan. You get Giles one remixed version for the entire world.

But I agree with you on the laser tracking bit. Pure hype.

tinnox and Gila like this.
  12. MothMonsterMan

MothMonsterMan I am a moth who just wants to eat your flag

I finally got the 4 LP set.
    Anyone else receive theirs sans headshots?

tinnox likes this.
  13. MothMonsterMan

MothMonsterMan I am a moth who just wants to eat your flag

:imwithstupid: Disregard my above post. I was a bit inebriated last night when looking through the box. Upon closer inspection in the clear light of day I found them tucked securely in one of the sleeves.

14. tinnox

tinnox Senior Member Thread Starter

I am still enjoying this set it’s such a great listen and very glad I picked it up.

15. RAJ717

RAJ717 Forum Resident

I still occasionally toss in the outtakes CD and to a lesser frequency, the Esher demos, but I am back 100% to the 2009 CDs and will likely never spin the remix again. It was a nice novelty but too many little things ruined the overall experience for me.

pdenny, tinnox, gibtti and 2 others like this.
  16. Shaddam IV

Shaddam IV Forum Resident

There is so much material here (like over five hours?) that it's had a long shelf life for me as well. I've gotten much more mileage out of it than the Pepper set.

tinnox and Gems-A-Bems like this.
  17. Karl Denver

Karl Denver You’ll get nothing and like it!

I too have been listening to the 2009 White album more. I really enjoy the Esher demos though. Those were a bit of a holy grail to me. Anybody who remembers when Anthology 3 came out will tell you what a surprise it was to hear a few of those demos in that kind of quality!! Plus Mean Mr. Mustard, Polythene Pam, Happiness is a warm gun, nobody had any idea that those existed as Esher demos! I remember throughout the late 90’s there were rumors about it getting its own release(if I’m not mistaken either Goldmine or Rolling Stone quoted an industry source who said it would be coming out(I swear I read that, I just can’t recall, sorry). So to have them all released in great quality was such a treat! Kudos to Giles for keeping the spirit of John’s original tape with the double tracked vocals/guitars. I love all the outtakes(I wish they did a Dylan blue box for these sessions because this would of been the one that they really could have) I just wish we got more(but I will always want more)! Giles mixed the outtakes well and they sound great as do the Pepper outtakes. As far as the remix goes I prefer the Pepper remix. Pepper’s remix rocks and the White album is tame by comparison. Pepper was mastered a tad to loud(I wished they used 2009 remasters as a benchmark for compression, I know I won’t get a lot of agreement there) and the White album was mastered a tad to soft. Dear Prudence, Glass Onion, Bungalow Bill,Piggies, Sexy Sadie, Long Long Long, Cry baby Cry are real stand outs as far as real clarity improvements. However the “balls” were castrated from the following songs: Back in the USSR, Yer Blues, Monkey, Helter Skelter(to the point where it threw off my album equilibrium). Everything else is ok. What really annoyed me too is the low volume mellotron before Bungalow Bill and the low volume “Blisters on my fingers”, that really annoyed me to no end. That being said I really loved the set and I hope we get one for every album. I will still listen to the remix as an alternate option. My grade B+

18. JesusDonWantMeForASunbeam

JesusDonWantMeForASunbeam Well-Known Member

I still return to my 78 white vinyl. Headphones.. Remix. That's what's it's for man. New audiophiles use headphones

Shaddam IV and tinnox like this.
  19. JesusDonWantMeForASunbeam

JesusDonWantMeForASunbeam Well-Known Member

Guys - the new Abbey Road is going to be the same thing -
    • a big box of Chachkies in a lenticular box (maybe),
    • Probably a sticker of the Abbey Road Sign, or maybe a poster of the street sign (speculating),
    • 4 CD's. (1 remix, 2 outtakes, 1 BD)
    • 2 disc vinyl set, that'll be underwhelming, hopefully they will include the same amount of stuff this time for the vinyl fans. (Please UMe, don't leave us out again.)
    • Blu Ray: 5.1 (obviously), this stuff was probably taken from the Rock Band multi's and adjusted for Atmos (that's probably coming next with the 5.1 DTS MA).
    • The Book: George Harrison demos for ATMP, some video footage of the crosswalk or outtakes. Paul is dead theory in the book, History of the people on the cover, smoking the pipe, etc. The painting crew on break in the background.
    All speculation. ;)

tinnox likes this.
  20. numer9

numer9 Beatles Apologist

Video footage?

tinnox likes this.
  21. tinnox

tinnox Senior Member Thread Starter

When is it coming out

22. Gems-A-Bems

Gems-A-Bems Forum Resident

Do you mean “tchotchkes”?

dsdu, tinnox and numer9 like this.
  23. Beatlemen

Beatlemen Forum Resident

Only 2 disks of outtakes? I hoping for 4 disks of outtakes !

marklamb and tinnox like this.
  24. Jerry c.

Jerry c. Forum Resident

giles has cured me of my beatles fascination.

25. Glenn Christense

Glenn Christense Foremost Beatles expert... on my block

Yes, because there are so many alternate takes/rehearsal versions of the White Album material, and it was a double albums worth of songs.

Although I really like having the Sgt. Pepper set it’s not as interesting to me to hear master takes with parts removed, ala “When I’m 64”
    minus George Martin’s arrangement .

That’s what they had to work with though, not many actual alternate versions of the songs. (Not counting all the versions of “Strawberry Fields Forever”, which most of us had already.)

So, I’m guessing the Abbey Road deluxe will be more like the Pepper set in that sense but we shall see.

Paul H, Shaddam IV and tinnox like this.