Joy Division - Unknown Pleasures 40th Anniversary Limited Edition

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bettsaj, May 8, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bettsaj

bettsaj “I'm in competition with myself and I'm losing.” Thread Starter

At last something is happening.....

Joy Division’s ‘Unknown Pleasures’ to get special re-release for 40th anniversary

Read more at Joy Division's 'Unknown Pleasures' to be specially re-released for 40th anniversary

[​IMG]

I don't know about you guys, but I'm a little disappointed by getting just a T-Shirt. The red vinyl pressing is a nod to the original red pressings.... But what I want to know is what is the source for the pressing? The 2015 digital files, or are they going back to the original tapes? I bet a weeks wages it's the former.

jfeldt, DHamilton and breakingglass like this.
  2. bettsaj

It's available for around £35 including the T-Shirt, or you can buy it without the T-Shirt from Amazon etc for around £18....... I want to know the source. Also, if it's limited, how limited?

Last edited: May 8, 2019
  3. bettsaj

4. lennonfan1

lennonfan1 Senior Member

nice to see a vinyl repro of sorts but there should be more, like a Blu Ray;)

bettsaj likes this.
  5. bettsaj

I still think a MoFi release would do it justice... I suspect the red vinyl reissue will be pressed from digital files, so I might give it a miss, although it does look nice and for just £18 doesn't really break the bank. But I already have a good 2007 pressing of it so really am only interested in buying a fully analogue pressing either a MoFi or a N/M or Mint original

6. lennonfan1

lennonfan1 Senior Member

I'm in for this. I'm a sucker for red vinyl;)
    wish there was a surround mix, but maybe one day....

mark winstanley and bettsaj like this.
  7. bettsaj

I probably will get it, as i'm a sucker for a limited edition........ LOL

lennonfan1 likes this.
  8. bettsaj

Pre-Ordered.................. I couldn't resist it LOL

Anonamemouse likes this.
  9. Hush

Hush "Fate, up against your will"

I've pre-ordered, you can never have enough Unknown Pleasures if you ask me.

10. bettsaj

With or without the shirt?

11. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

How does Movement get a £100 rip-off box and UP just a repress of the last digital pressing on a different colour?

12. Hush

Without. I've plenty t-shirts, or so the wife keeps telling me :laugh:

bettsaj likes this.
  13. bettsaj

We assume it's gonna be from the digital files... I suspect you're right though.

I think it deserved better than just a reissue on red vinyl. it's a much better album than Movement, it was more a landmark album than Movement, It's just better......

Don't forget.. The reissue comes in a white sleeve, that makes all the difference!! (I'm being facetious)

fortherecord and Jim B. like this.
  14. lennonfan1

lennonfan1 Senior Member

...and it better damn well be a TEXTURED sleeve! sheesh! lol.

bettsaj likes this.
  15. duncanh

duncanh Member

Anyone know where that gig photo was taken at the top of the thread?

16. True unknown pleasures can only be experienced without the shirt. :evil:

crispi and RockyRaccoon like this.
  17. Hush

I'm sure it's from the March 1979 gig in Altrincham.

18. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

We need marbles! And scarves!

:laugh:

19. bettsaj

Yep, Bowden Vale Youth Club... and here's the only known footage from that gig

20. bettsaj

Good god, no

21. bettsaj

Strange as it may seem..... I've just learned that this reissue is apparently using the 2007 masters....... Which were analogue :) so It'll have the same dead wax etchings as the first pressing, minus the the porky info... the same as my normal 2007 pressing

22. variablebitrate

variablebitrate Well-Known Member

I’m curious where you found the info that it’s the 2007 mastering. Are the ‘07 vinyl and CD the same? Because I’ve heard not so glowing reviews of the CD, but can’t find mastering credits for the vinyl. I have no version of this on wax, so I’m trying to decide if this is worth grabbing to fill that hole.

23. bettsaj

Well, it's not definitive and needs official clarification but Amazon have listed it as the 2007 remasters and NOT the 2015 remasters. I believe because the 2007 masters were from tape and the 2015 masters were from a digital source.

The 2015 remasters have a label on them saying "cut from the 2007 remasters", however the 2007 pressings are slightly different in that they state "remastered from the original master tapes"

https://smile.amazon.co.uk/Pleasure...40th&qid=1557394669&s=gateway&sr=8-1-fkmrnull

Regarding the differences between the 2007 CD and vinyl pressings, you are correct the CD mastering in 2007 wasn't brilliant but I think that seemed more aimed towards the live CD in each package, lets not forget all those live recordings in the "Collectors Edition" CD releases are originally bootleg recordings that have been cleaned up. The masters used in the 2007 US vinyl pressings are exactly the same as the ones used in the "In Memory" box set

The dead wax on the US 2007 remasters have the same etchings as the original pressings including the stamper numbers (A1, B1 etc) as follows, but with the addition of the bardcode numbers (Note the UK pressings don't have these etchings):

• Matrix / Runout (Runout side A): FACT I0 OUTSIDE - I JD 2565640I5I A-2 THIS IS THE WAY
    • Matrix / Runout (Runout side B): FACT I0 INSIDE - I B2 2565640I5I B-2 STEP
    • Matrix / Runout (Runout side C): FACT 25 AI 2564640I4I A-I OLD BLUE.?
    • Matrix / Runout (Runout side D): FACT 25 BI 2564640I4I B-I
    • Matrix / Runout (Runout side E): FACT 4Ø A-I EG THE CHICKEN WONT STOP P2 2564640321 A-I
    • Matrix / Runout (Runout side F): FACT 4Ø BI EG P2 256464032I B-I -< -< -< -< -< -<
    • Matrix / Runout (Runout side G): FACT 4Ø CI -< -< -< -< EG 2564640321 C-I
    • Matrix / Runout (Runout side H): FACT 4Ø DI EG THE CHICKEN STOPS HERE 256464032I D-I

The 2015 pressings don't have any of that only the bar code numbers. The attention to detail of the 2007 pressings is far better than the later 2015 pressings, for example the 2007 pressing of Unknown Pleasures had the album within a poly lined sleeve, but they also gave you a perfect reproduction of the original inner sleeve, complete with rounded corners. The sound quality of the 2007 pressings are excellent, to the point that I just gave away a brand new 2015 pressing that had only been played twice to a charity shop. The 2007 pressing of Still also saw a limited run of hard backed hessian sleeves, likely limited to 5000 as the originals were.

If you look back on the Joy Division day to day thread there is a contributor that posted on that thread that actually worked on the remaster campaign in 2006. he said that someone (can't remember their name) remastered them digitally in 2006 and presented the files to Warners. They were a mess, and were heavily compressed and sounded terrible ("typical loudness wars quality")... The band, and Warners saw sense and decided to go back to the original tapes for these represses.

The 2015 remasters I believe were remastered by Frank Arkwright so are better than the 2007 CD's, and obviously the 2015 vinyl use the same Arkwright masters. The 2007 vinyl pressings are different.

If you don't get the 40th Anniversary red vinyl release... Seek out a 2007 Rhino US copy, there's plenty out there..... you won't regret it.

Last edited: May 9, 2019
  24. jimod99

jimod99 Daddy or chips?

I’ve got an original bought 40 years ago in the first week of release, jeez I’m getting old!

No doubt I’ll pick this up too although I do have a Black first pressing too, a US Quest and the 2007 reissue.

25. bettsaj

This is incorrect, as the 2015 vinyl remasters are pressed from the 2007 digital files, as stated on the label on the record.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.