Pure Prairie League - First 4 Albums on 2 CDs from BGO

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by The Killer, Mar 19, 2019.

1. clhboa

clhboa Forum Resident

Ordered this today. Been wanting the 1st album on cd for some time. It's an all time favorite of mine. Never had "Dance" in any form before. Never heard good things about it.

2. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

Dance isn’t a bad album, but rather kinda pedestrian.

3. Instant Karma

Instant Karma Forum Resident

Is Waiting For Columbus their live release? I have a compilation with a duck on the cover called "The Very Best Of" and the MFSL Sailin Shoes.

4. pool_of_tears

Yes it is

Todd W. likes this.
  5. pool_of_tears

How is the mastering on the Floating World releases?

6. clhboa

clhboa Forum Resident

Kind of like "If The Shoe Fits"? Ok, but nothing to write home about.

7. It's a pretty good album with some outstanding pedal steel guitar work (more than on any of their previous albums). The Buddy Holly cover is a bit lackluster (not bad), the album is short, and Sun Shone Lightly is a top tier PPL track. The recording quality is good too (similar to Two Lane Highway), not overly slick -that comes later.

Last edited: May 8, 2019
    carlwm and clhboa like this.
  8. clhboa

clhboa Forum Resident

I'll be looking forward to hearing this. I do have the Buddy Holly cover and it's pretty meh. Always thought the first one had lots of pedal steel.

carlwm likes this.
  9. You may be right about the first album having more steel (Country Song has a ton of it).

clhboa likes this.
  10. pool_of_tears

Sort of, but If The Shoe Fits has:

Sun Shone Lightly
    Lucille Crawfield
    Out On The Street

carlwm likes this.
  11. lazydawg58

lazydawg58 Know enough to know how much I don't know

If You Can't Hang.........Drag Your Country A$$ Home was their 2nd album and Curtis is all over that one. It came out on their own Hood Swamp Records label. I think "13" or Clyde told me they could make more money selling 5,000 records on their own than 50,000 if they were on a major label. They released 4 or 5 singles during that period with Curtis singing lead on at least 3 of them. None of them cracked the top 40 but if memory serves me, "She is the Woman" sung by Curtis got up to 48. The others peaked somewhere between the 50s and the 80s.

The guy I take guitar lessons from told me a week or saw ago, when Curtis' name came up that when Curtis was about to leave for Nashville he sat in for a few songs one night as they auditioned for a replacement. He didn't get the job but a decade or two later a friend told him that Clyde was all set offer him the job ..........until Clyde walked out back of the club that night and saw him in an argument with his "crazy girlfriend." He didn't want to have to deal with any added drama in the band!

12. lazydawg58

How is his son's work? Isn't his name Michael?

13. DEAN OF ROCK

DEAN OF ROCK Forum Resident

Link to Voices on the Wind?

14. lazydawg58

Did a little googling. His name is Patrick and sounds like he is an excellent instrumentalist. I just saw a couple of entries from a couple of years ago for shows they did together, one in Ohio and one in NC. It also appears that Patrick plays sometimes in an acoustic group called Whiskey Pines. That's about all I could find. Perhaps he has a career outside music and like most folks plays on the side?

15. PPL Runner

PPL Runner Forum Resident

Thanks for this information.
    Yes, Patrick is it. He's an excellent player and singer. I didn't know about Whiskey Pines. Perhaps they'll do some recording in the future.

lazydawg58 likes this.
  16. Any other opinions on the sound quality for this set?

17. EdinaBob

EdinaBob Forum Resident

give this a try!

Keith todaro and DEAN OF ROCK like this.
  18. I'm particularly curious about the bass in Bustin' Out. Most releases have had very little bass.

19. I'm ripping mine tonight. Haven't had a chance to listen to this yet but I am looking forward to comparing it later to the RCA release which was bright with no bottom end. I've only ever heard the first three, after that I lost interest in the band as the writing quality took a dive without Craig Fuller. He was the best songwriter in the band. I also have "All In Good Time" which is a very good album. I also felt that Craig Fuller's career got derailed which is a pity because he is a terrific singer and songwriter. I enjoyed his period with Little Feat and American Flyer as well (and the album he made with Eric Katz).

20. lazydawg58

Continuing the Curtis Wright info. I was checking my albums and the 3rd Super Grit Cowboy Band album, "Showing Our Class" was also released when Curtis was a member. He contributes with some of the songwriting and several lead vocals.

21. lazydawg58

It is such a small world. I was crate digging at a charity thrift last week and found a very clean copy of the self-titled first album. That was the first time I had seen it in the wild. A young guy (well probably 30+) was digging too and we struck up a conversation. He saw the PPL album I had already pulled and we discussed them and other related artists. I mentioned that I thought Fuller lived in Pinehurst and he said that he in fact did. That he was friends with a girl that grew up next door. The girl was the daughter of retired major league pitcher Mike McCormick who won the Cy Young award in 1967 when he was with the Dodgers. (There are a lot of retried rich people living in Pinehurst!)

Last edited: May 28, 2019
    carlwm likes this.
  22. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

The first two, with Craig Fuller, are where my interest in Pure Prairie League begins and ends. The first is a good album, and the second is a really good album. And the second side of the second album is beginning to end great. It's one of the best country rock sides ever IMHO. After Fuller left, after the second album, the band turned into a relatively undistinguished country rock also ran.

As for sound...that second album is pretty crispy in all incarnations I've heard (first pressing vinyl, first issue CD, reissue CD, tracks that appear on the best of that includes almost all of the second album). Lot's of high end, not a huge amount of bass. I'm guessing that's baked into the tapes, and this BGO reissue isn't going to fix it.

23. Instant Karma

Instant Karma Forum Resident

What a great track. Thanks for sharing. ToddW. had recommended this album since Craig Fuller was on it. Not what I would consider a typical Little Feat sound. Who is the female vocalist?

carlwm likes this.
  24. EdinaBob

EdinaBob Forum Resident

Linda Ronstadt!

25. PPL Runner

PPL Runner Forum Resident

Thanks again for the info. Too bad their three albums with Curtis aren't available on CD. The original vinyl copies seem to go for rather large amounts.

lazydawg58 likes this.