Joel Ross - New Album "KingMaker" on Blue Note

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by SoundDoctor, May 8, 2019.

1. SoundDoctor

SoundDoctor Forum Resident Thread Starter

Has anybody here heard the new album "KingMaker" by young vibraphonist Joel Ross? Blue Note released it last week and it's absolutely fantastic... this album needs more of a following!

2. SoundDoctor

Anyone?

3. DeRosa

DeRosa Vinyl Forever

I've been streaming it. His Joel's playing is great, the alto saxophone is a bit too adventurous at times.
    So far no vinyl, so nothing for me to buy, hopefully they'll do more of the new artists on vinyl, lately those titles
    have been quite limited.

McLover, rxcory and SoundDoctor like this.
  4. SoundDoctor

I find the whole thing to be amazing.

I've been streaming it in MQA on Tidal. MQA streaming has basically defeated the point of me buying the hi-res download of most albums, as why buy it when I can stream it in equally high quality? I really want to buy this on vinyl if it ever comes out. I tweeted at Joel Ross and Blue Note that it needs to be put on vinyl and Joel himself retweeted it (BTW: My twitter is @MalachiLui if you're wondering). So maybe it'll happen... but I think he may have simply been appreciative that I mentioned him and how great his album is (he doesn't even have 300 twitter followers, which is a crime IMO because his music is so amazing).

DeRosa likes this.
  5. YEX 750-1

YEX 750-1 Long-winded Brother

Andrew Winistorfer from VMP mentioned in a video for the BN Anthology box that he was a big fan of Joel and to keep an eye on VMP’s website re: KingMaker... maybe an exclusive pressing in the near future?

Glad you started this thread. I’ve been streaming this album and I’m an instant fan. Streaming for me tends to be a computer distraction while I’m doing other things, though- so I would like to have the record to spin and actually sit back to.

SoundDoctor likes this.
  6. SoundDoctor

If KingMaker is a VMP album of the month I'll join but I really hope this gets a standard wide release.

7. YEX 750-1

Me too. It’s possible it could be a “VMP exclusive pressing,” which you can buy without joining. Maybe they’ll press a color variant of a regular black vinyl wide release BN puts out. Will wait and see, but any vinyl version would be cool. Hopefully BN has enough confidence in the market for it to put it out wide.

SoundDoctor likes this.
  8. SoundDoctor

It's as simple as having confidence in great music.

YEX 750-1 likes this.
  9. This is a wonderful album that definitely merits a nice vinyl release.

rxcory and SoundDoctor like this.
  10. geddy402

geddy402 Forum Resident

Agree with others that this album needs a vinyl pressing. Great music!

rxcory likes this.
  11. puelche

puelche Forum Resident

Fantastic album! Looking forward to its vinyl release...

Thanks for sharing, Malachi.

SoundDoctor likes this.
  12. DeRosa

DeRosa Vinyl Forever

that would be really great!

13. DeRosa

DeRosa Vinyl Forever

Thanks for doing that! It's crazy the old guys who are Blue Note fans don't seem to be making any effort to listen to the contemporary artists.
    There are lots of great newer BN albums, Robert Glasper's debut "Canvas" is coming out in the first batch of 80th anniversary tiles on vinyl very soon.

I also just ordered Ambrose Akinmusire - The Imagined Savior is Far Easier To Paint, was available on vinyl, i think only at the Blue Note website,
    and now i see it's sold out. Blue Note needs to step up a little more with the vinyl. I also tried to find the trumpet player Takuya Kuroda's record,
    and it's crazy money on discogs:
    Takuya Kuroda - Rising Son

SoundDoctor likes this.
  14. YEX 750-1

15. geddy402

geddy402 Forum Resident

DeRosa likes this.
  16. SoundDoctor

Digital recording but still sounds excellent.

17. SoundDoctor

18. YEX 750-1

19. SoundDoctor

Looks cool but I’m fine with black vinyl, especially since VMP seems to mess up these days...

DeRosa and YEX 750-1 like this.
  20. DeRosa

DeRosa Vinyl Forever

I saw the VMP email in my inbox before this thread, so I came here to post it.
    Then i saw the Amazon link above, and now i'm super glad about that, because i much prefer standard black!

21. DeRosa

DeRosa Vinyl Forever

VMP "membership" is just a few clicks. Just join, add to cart, check out, and cancel membership.
    There is no cost or requirement to keep being a member, you can buy just one record.

SoundDoctor likes this.
  22. YEX 750-1

That's a nice loophole! I happen to have recently become a member anyway. A few good choices I've been eyeing in their exclusives if I don't like the ROM options. We'll see how long it lasts.

SoundDoctor and DeRosa like this.
  23. garrincha

garrincha Forum Resident

this one has been on constant loop the last few days. absolute cracker! solid recommendation dude!

TheIncredibleHoke likes this.
  24. Fritz G23

Fritz G23 Forum Resident

Anyone know what files were used for the vinyl version? Was it mastered for vinyl or is a straight transfer of the digital hi-res?

25. Joe Harley

Joe Harley Senior Member

It's a 2-LP set cut by Kevin Gray and I received my copy today. Not sure who did the pressing but mine is nice and quiet although slightly warped. Not enough to cause any issues but worth a mention.
    More importantly, the music is superb! Joel is in the Bobby Hutcherson tradition but he stretches it in all kinds of fascinating ways. Joel's compositions keep your interest ...the man is telling a story! He's accompanied by acoustic bass and drums on his debut album. I also have the CD, having been sent one by BN. No comparison!!! Get the LP!