Audiomods Version 6 Tonearm

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by t3chnobrat, May 3, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. t3chnobrat

t3chnobrat Forum Resident Thread Starter

I was curious if anyone who has purchased the new Audiomods Version 6 arm, has received theirs yet? If so what are your initial thoughts?
    I just got my order confirmation this morning and it's going to be a tough waiting period!

2. Davey

Davey NP: Hania Rani/Dobrawa Czocher ~ Inner Symphonies

That's a pretty nice looking new tonearm, quite a bit different from their Rega-based arms, what table are you mounting it on? I'd like to try one of those myself on my Clearaudio table, can you tell us what it cost you?

[​IMG]

Edit: Oh, nevermind on the cost, found the order page ...

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 3, 2019
    Gavinyl, Andy Saunders and t3chnobrat like this.
  3. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

Some nice pictures posted on AOS: Audiomods Series 6 Tonearm - Page 3

If the arm performs as well as everyone hopes then it could be the go to sub £1200 arm and sell like hot cakes.

Davey likes this.
  4. t3chnobrat

I'm going to use it on an Isokinetik Modular 1.5 deck and it's going to replace my OL Onyx with a Soundsmith Zephyr MK3 H/O mounted on it. I got the Micrometer model with silver litz loom and the standard finishes and it ran $1175. I don't dislike my current arm, but it was my first and I knew it worked well with the table that i bought.. now I'm getting the upgrade flu and I really like the looks of his new model and the VTA adjustment.

Davey likes this.
  5. tiller

tiller Forum Resident

I intend on upgrading, for the azimuth adjustment alone. However I will say that the finger lift (shown in the pics on the art of sound thread) does look a little, um, janky?

Dubmart likes this.
  6. t3chnobrat

I couldn't figure out how to upload the 3 page product pdf that he emailed to me.

7. Davey

I opened the links at Audiomods Series 6 Tonearm, clicked the download button to open the jpg file in IrfanView editor, then copy/pasted at Imgur to post here. Sounds more involved than it really is once you've done stuff like that a few times.

The actual user pictures posted later in that thread (and that dubmart also linked above) look really good. I'm almost sold, just want to hear a little good user feedback and then I'm gonna click the order button. So definitely keep us posted :)

8. t3chnobrat

I stumbled on that forum the other day and read through it. That looks pretty sweet. I'll have to keep my eye on that thread and see what he has to say. Looks like he just got it today.

9. Drewan77

Drewan77 Forum Resident

If the 6 is an improvement on the 5 (which I've had on one of my TTs for several years) it's going to be pretty special. Adjustments on the headshell will be very useful.

matteos, RONENRAY and t3chnobrat like this.
  10. Davey

Headshell adjustments? Do you mean azimuth? If so, I hope it is handled back by the pivot, that's how I interpreted the pictures. It looks like the headshell is firmly attached to the armtube, at least that's my hope.

11. Drewan77

Drewan77 Forum Resident

Sorry, I should have been more clear & meant the ability to mount a cart to the bottom plate then address alignment back-forth-offset all by means of the single centre screw.

clercqie and Davey like this.
  12. Davey

I like that, that's the way my Clearaudio arm is too, might've originated with Schroeder, not sure. Thorens uses that method on their later arms too. Makes cartridge mounting much easier too for those where the body isn't threaded. The only issue is that the cartridge plate isn't usually very thick, so the screw length is critical.

clercqie likes this.
  13. Tom Littlefield

Tom Littlefield Forum Resident

Classicrock likes this.
  14. Davey

They do have nice arms. The TA-1000 is somewhat comparable, I like that the azimuth adjustment is also near the pivot so maintains good structural integrity at the headshell. No precision micrometer for VTA though, and they are almost twice as expensive, but as you say, they are nice arms (and many nice tables too).

15. tiller

tiller Forum Resident

The azimuth adjustment is indeed back near the pivot, accessed via a grub screw I believe. There was also mention of some mechanism to reset the azimuth to default (i.e, zero it) as well.

16. t3chnobrat

You're correct. This is from the info sheet he sent me:

"Built-in azimuth adjustment

Though the arm arrives set true to the record surface tiny variations in stylus and cantilever mean that some adjustment might be necessary for a perfect setup. While this was never possible with the cast arm tube adjustment is now built in to the new arm. A factory-set datum pin lets you to return to the original setting at any time."

17. Andy Saunders

Andy Saunders Always a pleasure never a chore

Looks a lot of tone arm for the money.:)

18. shawnwes

shawnwes Forum Resident

I just heard from Jeff and mine is due to be completed tomorrow so will be looking forward to a big jump in quality over the RB250 I'm currently running (although I do have a Tecnoweight & Riggles VTAF on mine which is a big improvement over stock).

Dubmart likes this.
  19. t3chnobrat

Jealous! What finish did you get?

20. t3chnobrat

Also what finish did you get? I saw someone mention on theartofsound that they got a polished and posted pics. I'm still waiting for my account privileges to be instated to view his pics.

21. sturgus

sturgus Forum Resident

Just when you think it's safe to get back in the water. Damn you Jeff!

22. shawnwes

shawnwes Forum Resident

I got the matte finish as I couldn't decide on whether I liked the gold or not & figured the polished would show all kinds of fingerprints.
    Apparently there's a black version that'll be avail by the summer, together with the 10.5" arm wand release.

BTW, I heard from him just when he started production and he gave me the ready to ship date as May 9. He only missed it by one day. Pretty darned good service for what amounts to basically a one man show with a new release & a more complicated build than he was doing with the previous versions.

Last edited: May 9, 2019
  23. t3chnobrat

Fingerprints was something i thought about. Even my black OL arm can look dirty with prints and dust..etc.

Did you get a shipping confirmation yet?

24. Davey

If you still haven't seen the polished one ...

[​IMG]

The headshell does come off a little clunky looking in some of the pics, would be nice with a more streamlined design better integrated with the arm tube like on my Clearaudio below, but maybe the more substantial structure provides rigidity benefits...

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 11, 2019
  25. t3chnobrat

I saw that on the TAOS page and was in love. Jeff literally just emailed me confirming that it was an option for me and that I didn't have to give him an answer yet. It certainly has a 'bling' factor to it in polished. I love the look for sure. It's going to be a long couple of weeks waiting. I hope Shawnwes posts some pics when his arrives ;-) It's a hard choice between bling and a matte that matches (ish) my Pass phonostage.

Last edited: May 11, 2019
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.