Always hum with Rega Exact on Planars?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Kristofferabild, May 10, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kristofferabild

Kristofferabild Forum Resident Thread Starter

I can see that some people are experiencing hum with Rega Planars and Rega Exact mk2.

Seeing as this might be my next PU for my new Planar 3 , I was just wondering whether or not this is a general problem with that combination?

2. Tartifless

Tartifless Forum Resident

I have exact with RP8, never had hum.
    In fact the only time I ever experienced hum was when my phono pre was sitting between my amp and the power box of the phono pre.

Kristofferabild likes this.
  3. starbuck

starbuck Forum Resident

A friend has a Rega P2 with an Exact, no hum whatsoever and sounds really nice too.

4. frimleygreener

frimleygreener "It 'a'int why...it just is"

I use a Rega RP6 with the Exact, and again, no hum whatsoever.

5. Day_Tripper2019

Day_Tripper2019 Forum Resident

P3 with Exact and I love it. No hum. Have had that combo for over 2 years.

Dan Steele and Kristofferabild like this.
  6. Echoes Myron

Echoes Myron Forum Resident

No hum. Very awesome cart, I have two.

7. eyeCalypso

eyeCalypso Forum Resident

Exact is an awesome cart but boy does mine hum. It hums only when the platter motor is running, is unnoticeable when tonearm is in its cradle, but gets louder and louder as it goes towards the record center (towards the motor). Even at its loudest though it is still usually drowned out by the music. I did have an Audio Technica cart before having the Exact and it was dead silent, no humming. BTW, I have the recent P3.

benzo likes this.
  8. Tartifless

Tartifless Forum Resident

This is not normal, have you tried bringing this setup to your dealer to check if it comes from the placement @your home or a defective cart/table ?

9. eyeCalypso

eyeCalypso Forum Resident

I ordered online from Soundstage Direct so my dealer is in another state and probably went bankrupt. I had no hum with an AT cart. Exact 2 cart brings the hum. It could be that cart in question. I've tried repositioning everything in relation to the table, and I've tried moving the table itself; still got hum. The hum bothered me so I did some research and found that many who use Rega carts with Planar 'tables have hum.

10. vinylontubes

vinylontubes Forum Resident

You would still have a warranty. Contact Sound Organization the USA importer.

11. maglorine

maglorine Forum Resident

I hear a minor amount of hum on my P25/Exact2 combo in the runout groove at the end of a record. Between songs in the middle of the record I hear no hum. In the leading grooves no hum. Even in the runout grooves it’s a low level hum way below the music volume such that I can’t detect it before the music ends.

Whoopycat likes this.
  12. james

james Summon The Queen

RP6/Exact here. no hum

13. Netnomad

Netnomad Forum Resident

P2 and exact no hum.

14. Eigenvector

Eigenvector Forum Resident

I have a Rega RP6 and am now on my 5th Exact. None have ever hummed.....

Day_Tripper2019 likes this.
  15. Bruce Burgess

Bruce Burgess Senior Member

I have the Planar 6/Exact Combo plugged into the internal phono stage of my Rega Elicit and no hum. Of course, if I would plug it into my Graham Slee 2SE there would be hum. The phono stage is usually the culprit.

16. Whoopycat

Whoopycat Forum Resident

I've had this too with my Rega tables and non-Rega carts. My unscientific observations are:

1. The closer the TT is to the phono stage, the louder the hum.
    2. I have noticed this more with tubed phono stages than solid state.

It doesn't really bother me though.

17. james

james Summon The Queen

5th! From wear or accident?

18. Eigenvector

I get about 800 hours out of an Exact before I start to hear deterioration in tracking ability and sound quality so I replace it at that time. I play records pretty much every day so I get to the 800 hour mark in just under a year. So, I’ve worn through 4 of them prior to my current one.

james likes this.
  19. russk

russk Forum Resident

RP6 with Exact, no cartridge hum. My RP6 like a lot of them had a very small amount of hum with any cartridge till I grounded the PSU. Once I did that it was dead silent.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  20. james

james Summon The Queen

I recently installed my first Exact. I hope it’s not an annual purchase. That’s more than I spend on records

Fishoutofwater likes this.
  21. Eigenvector

Many here have reported that they get far more time out of their Exact than my 800 hour average. I may be over-cautious but I just don’t like to take the chance of possibly damaging any records in my collection. Many are either irreplaceable or would be very expensive to replace. The value of my collection far outweighs the annual cost of an Exact.

Also, there is a lower exchange price for Rega cartridges if you trade your old one in. That, combined with the discount my dealer gives me, puts the replacement cost considerably below the retail cost of an Exact.

james likes this.
  22. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

I had the RP6 and Exact. I don't think the Exact is the source of any hum in your system.

Check your ground and your phono preamp.

23. russk

russk Forum Resident

The Exacts great. The hum was from Regas sucky grounding. I used a piece of wire and loosened a screw on the PSU and wrapped the wire around it then connect the wire to the ground on my phone pre and no more hum.

Rega is great for the price point and plug and play aspect but their turntables always seem to need some sorting out.

benzo likes this.
  24. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

I have a Decware ZP3 phono preamp and I put it on a Vinyl Nirvana vintage restored Thorens TD-160 Super TT that has a Rega/Moth RB202 arm. I had problems with hum. The Rega arm was rewired from VN with a Cardas wiring cable that is a single cable with ground wire, that was connected to the ground on the ZP3.

I played with the table and found out that if I ran an additional ground cable from the TD-160S to the ZP3, I could get rid of the hum.

[​IMG]

I never got around to getting under the TT and rerunning the wire.

After I acquired the Rega RP6, I moved the ZP3 phono-pre closer to the RP6 so that I could try the ZP3 on the RP6.

[​IMG]

It hummed really loudly and I could never get rid of the hum. So I put the ZP3 back where it normally sits, to the right of the Thorens.

[​IMG]

I picked up a used Musical Fidelity SS X-LPS amp and connected it to the Rega and the hum went away. That is the black cylinder behind the tone arm.

[​IMG]

So I understand your Rega comment!

Optimize, Fishoutofwater and russk like this.
  25. Kristofferabild

Kristofferabild Forum Resident Thread Starter

I was wrong. I can also hear a faint hum on my brand new Planar 3 with a Denon DL 110. However you can't really hear it before the runout groove and even then it so low that it doesn't bother me. You can't hear it with music playing. If I press the PU more towards the motor, the hum increases, but a record will never get that close the motor.
    My riaa is a Rega Fono MK3.

Last edited: May 22, 2019
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.