Classical Corner Classical Music Corner

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, May 29, 2015.

1. drh

drh Talking Machine

Anybody here have the Naxos Historical series issues of Claudio Arrau, with Desire Defauw and the Chicago SO, performing R. Strauss's Burleske and Weber's Konzertstuck? They are Mark Obert-Thorn transfers, and I'm just curious how the sound stacks up against others in the series. I just tried my own transfers, and although they look pristine, the sound coming from my copy of the 78s is *horrible.* My first thought was that the records all sound like recuts, and sure enough I found a discussion elsewhere online indicating they were all dubbed, something Victor supposedly did to a number of Defauw's recordings to make them more "brilliant." Unfortunately, on decent modern equipment it makes them sound fuzzy and washed out. I do not envy MOT the task of making these sonic sow's ears presentable to even historically tolerant/minded modern listners.

Marzz likes this.
  2. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

This review might help, though I don't have the CD, sorry:

Arrau Schumann 8111265 [JW]: Classical CD Reviews - February 2008 MusicWeb-International

3. drh

drh Talking Machine

Marzz and George P like this.
  4. Marzz

Marzz Forum Resident

I do have those. They're on separate discs. Rather than potentially mislead you with my attempt at describing the sound (plus I don't have my profile filled out yet - min. 100 lashings right there ;)) I can offer you samples from my CDs if you like. Just let me know
    Alternatively, Chandos offers 60 sec. samples ...
    STRAUSS, R.: Burleske / SCHUMANN: Piano Concerto in A minor / Carnaval (Arrau) (1939-46) Classical Naxos
    BEETHOVEN: Piano Concerto No. 3 / WEBER: Konzertstuck / Piano Sonata No. 1 (Arrau) (1941-47) Classical Naxos

Also available on Spotify, although I understand that may not be the case for the US? On Youtube as well.
    Again, I have the CDs if needed.

Last edited: May 10, 2019
  5. Marzz

Marzz Forum Resident

Can't say I disagree with that review, especially of the Schumann concerto. But I remember enjoying the other works on that cd however. Hmm, might explain why I (almost) forgot I even had this!:p

6. Marzz

Marzz Forum Resident

@drh
    Also fwiw, copied this from the cd booklets ...

The Weber Konzertstuck was issued on 78s only in a murky, bass-shy dubbing. (This was also the source for the later Camden LP, which credited the “Century Symphony Orchestra” without mentioning the conductor or soloist). I have transferred it from original postwar American shellac pressings, trying to bring out more of the bass in the process. The final work on the CD, the first recording Arrau made in the USA, was taken down in an unreverberant studio and pressed on noisy, recycled wartime shellac. (Mark Obert-Thorn)

and

The Strauss Burleske and the Schumann Piano Concerto were transferred from postwar RCA Victor pressings. All four sides of the Strauss, as well as Sides 5 and 8 of the Schumann Concerto (the beginning of the second movement and the end of the third) were only issued in sonically compromised dubbings. British Parlophone shellacs were the source for Schumann’s Carnaval. (
    Mark Obert-Thorn)

7. drh

drh Talking Machine

Thanks! The booklet notes explain a lot, and the excerpts just go to show that Mark Obert-Thorn can work miracles. In the Strauss one, particularly, he's managed somehow to bring the piano forward into balance with the orchestra; in my original pressings, it's noticeably recessed there. That said, close listening to the samples still sometimes reveals traces of the awfulness he was fighting to overcome.

Marzz and George P like this.
  8. George P

Robert Silverman has new Beethoven sonata recordings

Robert Silverman Beethoven Sonatas - Audio High

9. George P

Thanks, my friend. It did.

I couldn't agree more.

Wes H likes this.
  10. George P

[​IMG]

Now enjoying this rare CD by one of my favorite pianists.

11. drh

drh Talking Machine

12. George P

Yep. The one that sounds like the mics were in the roof at the back of the hall. :sigh:

13. George P

[​IMG]

Now enjoying CD 01 (Symphony one) from the newly released (at last) Barbirolli Brahms set.

14. yasujiro

yasujiro Senior Member

Last edited: May 14, 2019
  15. royzak2000

royzak2000 Senior Member

16. royzak2000

royzak2000 Senior Member

Really like that set I got them in the 90s on, dirt cheap, Royal Classics, a bargain.
    [​IMG]

vanhooserd, Wes H and George P like this.
  17. George P

[​IMG]

Nice, I just enjoyed a listen to the second CD from my set, which contains symphonies 2 and 3.

18. George P

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Yesterday was my first time in my favorite local used shop looking for SACDs (I have a new (my first) SACD player) and I decided on these two. Now enjoying the Chopin SACD.

19. George P

20. Marzz

Marzz Forum Resident

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:
    You inspired me to put on the Rene Jacobs version. Have you heard that one @royzak2000 ? Original 1762 version but with a mezzo-soprano (gorgeously sung by Bernarda Fink) instead of a countertenor. Works incredibly well! That Gardiner is a favourite as well. Actually I have a lot of versions of this, but Jacobs is my go-to.

NP: Gluck - Orfeo & Euridice (1762) directed by Rene Jacobs with Bernarda Fink (Orfeo), Veronica Cangemi (Euridice) and Maria Cristina Kiehr (Amore). Recorded 2001.
    [​IMG]

cdgenarian, royzak2000 and George P like this.
  21. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

[​IMG]
    Attractive Symphonies from 1894 & 1908. No.1 recorded 5/88, Bucharest. Producer: Javier Lavilla Berganza. No. 2 recorded 8/89, Košice, Slovakia. Producer: Gecza Toperczer. First issued on Marco Polo in 1989.

Marzz likes this.
  22. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

[​IMG]
    Recorded 12/7-12/92, House of Arts, Košice, Slovakia. Producer: Karol Kopernicky. Engineer: Otto Nopp.

Eigenvector likes this.
  23. JuniorMaineGuide

JuniorMaineGuide Forum Resident

I've been enjoying both of these very much recently. I wasn't even a big fan of Schumann's quartets until hearing this, and the Mozart K 387 on the first CD is just awesome. Highest recommendation for both.

[​IMG]
    Quatuor Akilone: Haydn, Mozart, Schubert. Mirare

[​IMG]
    Schumann: String Quartets Op. 41 Nos. 1 and 3. Quatuor Renoir, Zig-Zag Territoires.

24. George P

[​IMG]

Now enjoying a first listen to this SACD. Munch's Ravel is more boisterous than other interpretations I have heard. The Debussy is playing now and it is lovely.

25. Jazzicalit

Jazzicalit In the Tradition

Just bought:

LINO LIVIABELLA - Antigone (1942, Libretto by Emidio Mucci)
    Orchestra e Coro di Milano della Radiotelevisione Italiana / Ottavio Ziino
    (Recording: Milano 1956) (on LP)

[​IMG]

GEORG FRIEDRICH HANDEL - Messiah
    Gabrieli Consort & Players / Paul McCreesh
    (on Cd)

[​IMG]