Opinions on new Judy Garland film, Judy, with Renée (Renee ) Zellweger

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Lawrence Schulman, Jun 30, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Lol

2. sixtiesstereo

sixtiesstereo Senior Member

And for anyone who hasn't seen the 2001 Judy Davis film, here's a terrific doc
    on the making of it with clips from the film and interviews with the cast. Fascinating..

Khaki F and unclefred like this.
  3. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident

the studios really trying to get another Queen type movie going....will this be it or more like the Bobby Darin bio....nice to see Renee back in the mix at least

Matthew Tate likes this.
  4. I'm sure the LGBT community rejoices! This will be a big hit. No doubt about it.

Ghostworld likes this.
  5. Khaki F

Khaki F Forum Resident

Huh?

carrick doone likes this.
  6. Barnabas Collins

Barnabas Collins Senior Member

I believe it's because Judy Garland is a gay icon. Why he chose to point that out, I have no idea.

carrick doone, MRamble, 905 and 2 others like this.
  7. Because, duh! - the ticket sales will be astronomical in certain sections of our human community.

Besides, what if I'm gay and want to celebrate this film trailer from a gay vantage? There's nothing wrong with that. :)

Last edited: May 11, 2019
  8. Monosterio

Monosterio Forum Resident

You wouldn’t Kid A us, would you? ;)

9. Ha! Well, no I'm not gay, but I am a "friend of Dorothy."

Monosterio likes this.
  10. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident

ummmmmm I think you cant be one and not the other :wave:

ill watch Judy (taking their cue from Ray) but id prefer a balls out Mommie Dearest style flick with Renee chewing the scenery (and theres so much material to work with), this looks more like typical Hollywood sweetener though....

11. Really, an honorary FOD is more correct, as some gay pals have dubbed me, as I'm a strong advocate for LGBT rights. We're picking nits here. :) The point is, it's almost impossible to talk about Judy Garland, today, without mentioning her gay icon status. Indeed, in this new film I wonder if they'll show that she was a beard for two closeted husbands.

12. TheVU

TheVU Forum Resident

After watching that featurette on the 90’s one, I’m not really sure why they would have made another biopic.

They seem to have nailed it the first time.

sixtiesstereo likes this.
  13. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

Good luck Renee.

Khaki F likes this.
  14. sixtiesstereo

I agree. But it's from 2001, not the 90's. Although I guess that's not important.

15. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

That "Me And My Shadows" mini-series looks terrific. It's available on DVD. I'll have to check that out...

16. Jack White

Jack White Senior Member

I think the about to be released Elton John biopic is trying to be that.

I'm presuming this Garland film will be about a troubled yet brilliantly talented woman doomed to a lifetime of heartaches and loveless marriages; drug and alcohol addiction; financial instability - what money that wasn't stolen from her was foolishly given away or mismanaged; and a tragic end (possibly suicide). A life exploited and used by just about everyone around her - including a stage mother living vicariously, the vicious film studio that used then discarded her, unscrupulous managers, and deceptive romantic partners.

Last edited: May 12, 2019
    Khaki F likes this.
  17. sixtiesstereo

It's also on youtube (in 3 parts). Here's a link to the youtube page, where there also many
    more clips from the film.
    life with judy garland me and my shadows - YouTube

18. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

To be fair, we can't accuse "Rocketman" of existing to capitalize on "Boh Rhap" because it was already in production when "BR" became a hit.

We'll get plenty of rock biopics in the wake of "BR" - and clearly the folks behind the Elton movie hope it repeats the Queen film's success - but "Rocketman" isn't a copycat flick...

19. Jack White

Jack White Senior Member

That's true, but the marketing and the feel of it (as least the promotion) seems to be in the same vein.

I just read that there's a planned Led Zep film, but that it'll be a documentary produced by the surviving members (a matter of control, I presume).

I'm a bit surprised this Garland biopic is a feature film to be shown in movie theatres and not a television presentation. I wouldn't think that a film budget could be justified with the limited interest about Garland that survives today.

20. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Oh, there's no question the promotion is pushing hard to get the "BR" audience! I don't argue at all that they're not trying to capitalize on the earlier movie's success!

I just wanted to note that "Rocketman" wasn't a film that exists on the coattails of "BR". Even if "BR" had flopped, it'd still exist! :)

I suspect the same for the Garland movie. It's possible it got rushed into production to get some sweet, sweet "BR" money, but I think it's a little too soon for that.

Movies trying to make Mercury strike twice would just be going into production now - Hollywood can rush out copycats pretty quickly, but I don't think we'll see the real coattail-riders until 2020...

21. Khaki F

Khaki F Forum Resident

At this point it's all speculation, but I'd guess someone saw a rich opportunity to present Judy's artistry as well as the drama. The costumes, the sets, and the cinematography look to be not just a tour de force for Zellweger, but for filmmaking. That's what kind of turned me off of the earlier biopic, as much as I admire Judy Davis. Even from the title, its focus seemed to be more on the personal tragedies behind the scenes. I think this one hopes to capture her brilliance as a performer despite the duress.

I imagine we'll know whether the studio is going for "Bohemian Rhapsody - The Judy Version" once the film is released. If it ends with the performance at Carnegie Hall and a scrolling text epilogue or something similar, yeah... that could indicate it's a bit of a knockoff.

22. Torontotom

Torontotom Forum Resident

Actually Tammy won the Best Supporting Actress award. Her resemblance to Judy was uncanny. Sometimes it felt like I was actually watching Judy.

My only quibble about that movie is they switched to Judy Davis too soon. Seeing Davis perform The Trolley Song was a bit jarring.

23. Chris_Sydney

Chris_Sydney Forum Resident

The full trailer is out now:

The timing does feel canny in the wake of 'Bohemian Rhapsody' and 'Rocketman'. I'm still not entirely convinced by the casting, but it looks beautifully shot and from the trailer it also appears to be a fairly sympathetic portrayal. Although it is based on the Broadway play 'End Of The Rainbow' which was not well received by fans, if the moments in this trailer are any indication then the film's screenplay seems to capture Judy's wit as well as her inevitable tragedy. I'll be fascinated to see how it does at the box office.

x

24. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

looks good!

carrick doone likes this.
  25. Khaki F

Khaki F Forum Resident

Thank you so much for posting the update!

This is one I want to go to. I figure at the very least it will amount to a nice evening out. And if it's more than that, so much the better.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.