Rega P6 Platter / Power Issue

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by ewellinger, May 12, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ewellinger

ewellinger Well-Known Member Thread Starter

I purchased a Rega P6 with Exact cartridge around the end of March. Over the last couple of days I've noticed an issue where the platter will come to a complete stop for around 2-3 seconds, and then start again. This has happened twice so far.

The light on the PSU and Rega Fono preamplifier are still powered on as normal. I have a PrimaLuna DiaLogue amplifier that is plugged into the same power strip as the TT and the phono preamp. The PrimaLuna continues to output sound uninterrupted during those few seconds (you can hear the record stop and the start again). The amplifier is a newer addition to the system and is around 2 weeks old.

Based off what is happening my guess would be an issue with the PSU. Up to now I've had no issues whatsoever with it and it sounds absolutely amazing.

Has anyone ever experienced this or heard of something like this before? Should I reach out to the distributer I bought it from?

2. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident

Have you checked the electricity supply to your house?

3. Davey

Davey NP: CLARAGUILAR ~ Figura (2024)

Have you checked to make sure the power cord from PSU to table is fully seated on both ends?

Randoms, Dave and bluesaddict like this.
  4. ewellinger

I haven't checked anything specifically but lights were on and not flickering at the time the platter randomly stopped. Plus the amp was plugged into the same outlet at the time it stopped and it was unaffected, leading me to believe there was no power interruption that led to this.

5. ewellinger

After the second time it happened (last night) I unplugged each end of the power cord and reseated it. Thus far it has happened very intermittently so we'll see if it happens again.

Since I just got it not too long again I wanted to make sure it wasn't something to contact them about sooner rather than later.

Dave likes this.
  6. bluesaddict

bluesaddict High Tech Welder

I have the same set up all but I have Ania cart without any trouble for over a year. If everything is seated good I would contact your dealer or Rega direct.

7. vinylontubes

vinylontubes Forum Resident

So the amp power jack is thought good. Swap the Neo and the amp connections to verify there isn't something going on within the power strip.
    If the same thing happens plug the Neo directly to the power outlet.

8. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

That should fix the trouble you are having with it. The umbilical connector between the table and the PSU have locking connectors, it's a little fiddly, but there is a very hard to see collar around them that you may have to pull back before inserting the plugs into their sockets. Once in, and fully seated, it'll move forward and lock the cable in place so you don't experience intermittent connectivity again.
    -Bill

9. ewellinger

Yeah, I definitely didn’t even realize there was a moving collar on there when I initially hooked everything up! Unplugged and replugged it in and had no issues when listening yesterday.

Hopefully that’s all it was! Thanks for the suggestions

10. cut-out

cut-out Forum Resident

Oddly, I had this same problem over the weekend with my (only 2 week old) P8, exactly as described. Spent the weekend swapping out extension cords, power strips, outlets, etc....

I just now tried the moving collar re-seat and hopefully that'll do it for me too. I don't think I had it 'locked' before. It's the other connection from the PSU to the wall-wart that seems problematic to me--feels kind of 'squishy'. Any way, thanks @ewellinger and @KT88 hope this is now solved for me too.

Dan Steele and KT88 like this.
  11. Billy Bird

Billy Bird Forum Resident

Curiously, just had the same thing with a five week old P8 this weekend, too. Will inspect connection ASAP and see if it sorts it.

12. james

james Summon The Queen

Also had this happen in the past week with an RP6. I thought I'd either broken the power cable or the power supply.

13. Billy Bird

Billy Bird Forum Resident

Was yours sorted by adjusting the cable as above?

14. james

james Summon The Queen

yes. take a good close look at the collar around the connectors. you'll see it slides in and out. I thought I had broke the connector but I think it's supposed to work that way?

15. ewellinger

Just to follow up after a week of listening and I haven't had an issue since ensuring the cable to the power supply was properly connected so I think that's all it was. Glad it was an easy fix!

Thanks all for chiming in

Dan Steele and ScottRiqui like this.
  16. Joakim

Joakim Member

I also experiencing the exact same problem with my P6. Annoying. Don’t know what to do. Changed the DIN cable and the problem haven’t occurred for a month, but yesterday I experienced the problem again. The platter just slows down to then fully stop. Sometimes the platter starts again after a 30 so.

17. Joakim

Joakim Member

Could you please take a photo of where to look? Cheers!

18. dianos

dianos Forum Resident

I've read about the same thing for P8 users. Based on this I am sure this is a product fault and therefore should be fixed free of charge by retailer and Rega. Contact them and require a solution asap.

19. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

[​IMG]
    The fat, barrel part of the ends are what moves. It's a sleeve that slides over the connector end. When you insert the cable into it's sockets, it should click, maybe softly so that you don't here it, maybe you will, but you should feel it through your fingers when you insert them fully. It works when you hold the cable end by its strain relief while pushing it into its socket. That allows the sleeve to slide back a bit and then snap into place. It think that people must be holding the barrel when inserting it, which will not allow it to slide. You can see how it works when you unplug it and operate the slide with it in your hands. Once it locks, you can't just pull it back out, you have to pull in the slide and when it comes back, then the cable will follow. It is so that when fully inserted and locked, the cable will not come out on its own or with a slight tug on the cable itself. Be sure to check that both ends, the one going into the table, and the one coming out from the power supply are both seated properly.
    -Bill

Randoms, themoralkiosk and Dan Steele like this.
  20. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

No; it's operator error. See my post above for an explanation on how the cable lock operates.
    -Bill

21. dianos

dianos Forum Resident

These locking connectors have been around on Rega for years and years. Why is it only a problem for P6 and P8 users then? Bad out of specification connectors? Both have the NEO in common..

Last edited: Jan 14, 2020
  22. Joakim

Joakim Member

Thanks, I’ll try that. Seems to me like the cables are fully fit now. (Even if I think that they maybe were before also). Hope this will do it. Thanks for explaining it in a bit more detail! Appreciated!

23. Joakim

Joakim Member

Also wondering if it could be the NEO after swapping the DIN cable and the problem occurred again. Seems to me like somewhat more possible than a faulty motor on the table, but I’m only guessing of course .. I’ll try it a bit more now after checking the cable, as explained by Bill above. Bit of a shame I think, while much liking the table besides this problem.

24. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

It's not a problem for thousands of users. It's just that most folks have never seen or heard of a locking connector and they just don't make a proper connection. Sadly, most folks are buying product by mail these days and they don't have dealer assistance to demonstrate these things. When the cables are used properly, they work properly. They haven't changed the cables; it's just that many folks don't see how they work.
    -Bill

MGW, AKA-Chuck G and Randoms like this.
  25. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

The cable needs to be seated fully at the table end, and at the Neo end. If either end is loose, it'll of course make for an intermittent connection. Once fully seated, it'll stay put for as long as you like.
    -Bill

Dan Steele, Dennis Metz and mcd4959 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.